PDA

View Full Version : Two WV State Troopers Killed

wv109323
08-29-2012, 12:01 AM
The news is reporting that 2 WV State Troopers were killed tonite. They pulled over a car for reckless driving and had the driver in the rear seat of their cruiser.
Somehow ,some way the suspect came up with a gun and shot the two troopers. He then got out of the cruiser and shot a tow truck operator that was on the scene.
Suspect got away and was found by a Deputy Sheriff a short time later. The Deputy Sheriff was shot also ( not life threatening).
The Deputy Sheriff returned fire and killed the suspect.
2 State Troopers Killed, Suspect Killed,Deputy Sheriff wounded, Tow Truck driver wounded.

SharpsShooter
08-29-2012, 09:07 AM
http://www.wvmetronews.com/news.cfm?func=displayfullstory&storyid=54624

Wednesday, August 29 2012

Metro News: The Voice of West Virginia

State Police Troopers rushed to Clay County and to Charleston after two troopers were shot at the Wallback park-and-ride Tuesday night.

One trooper from the Clay Detachment was killed by a motorist troopers had pulled over not long before. A second trooper was taken to Charleston Area Medical Center after suffering critical injuries in the shooting.

State Police Spokesman Sgt. Mike Baylous says troopers went to both locations to help with the investigation and to support their fellow troopers and their families.

"It's a band of brothers and when something like this happens that's when you see the true character of all of those you work with," Baylous said.

Troopers at CAMC lined the outside walls of the hospital, many times huddling to pass along new information from inside. Several of the troopers stayed the night.

The State Police have not released the names of the troopers involved. The name of the suspect, who was shot and killed by a Clay County deputy, has also not been released.

Sgt. Baylous says the tragic events of Tuesday will be very difficult to deal with in the months to come.

"We don't know why these things happen. We just don't know," Baylous said. "But all we can do is keep our trust and faith in God Almighty and know that everything works in his plan."

SS

Multigunner
08-29-2012, 10:20 AM
This reminds me of a strange case many years ago.
The cops had stopped at an accident where a elderly man was showing signs of confusion.
They put him in the back seat and while calling in the old guy pulled a pistol and shot both cops.
There seemed to be no motive for this act.

It turned out the old timer had been a "motorized bandit" back in the days of John Dilinger.
He had spent many years in prison and since released had lived a quiet life and stayed on the straight and narrow.
Due to some cerebral incident his memories of his life beyond his days as a bandit had been wiped out. After the accident he believed he was still on the run from bank jobs pulled in the 1930's, and was entirely mystified by the modern automobiles and everything else he saw. It was as if he had traveled in time.

wv109323
08-29-2012, 12:56 PM
A Retraction to my Original Post- The second Trooper is alive but in critical condition. The 11:00 o'clock News erroneously reported that the second trooper had died. Again that is in error.

Bret4207
08-30-2012, 08:31 PM
The out pouring of sympathy and condolences to the families of these fallen Troopers from the membership here speaks volumes.

onceabull
08-30-2012, 08:44 PM
Indeed it does, Sir... Onceabull

MtGun44
08-30-2012, 09:24 PM
Well, I am definitely sorry for the families - and for the officers. Theirs is a dangerous job,
and they regularly get to meet the scum of society, a very hard job, IMO. Make a small
mistake and bad things can happen.

Bill

fishhawk
08-30-2012, 09:28 PM
I doubt that there has been many to see it here in this forum so I'm moving it to our town.

wv109323
08-30-2012, 09:59 PM
A little more on the shooting is starting to come out in the news. The perpetrator in this case was a 20 year old man that had a brush with the law in a couple of small incidents.
Apparently he was stoned out of his mind on something. He was traveling to WVU at Morgantown,WV to see a girl. He apparently had a one car traffic accident and got turned around was actually headed south away from Morgantown.
His driving was reckless and was pulled over by the State Police. The Prepetrator was hand cuffed in front and put in the seat of the cruiser. Apparently he had a gun in his groin and somehow got the gun out and shot both troopers. He then took procession of the trooper's sidearm and shot the tow truck driver that arrived on the scene.
He then fled the scene. About one hour later he was discovered in a ditch. He fired on a Deputy Sheriff and wounded the Deputy in both arms. The Deputy also took a third round into his bullet proof vest. The deputy returned fire killing the Perpetrator.

MtGun44
08-30-2012, 11:25 PM
Drugs no doubt, but there has to be a violent streak in someone to do this.

I am glad that the bad guy is dead - no chance of ever getting out of jail and
hurting someone else.

A sad day.

Bill

smoked turkey
08-31-2012, 12:24 AM
Our son is a MO State Trooper, so this is especially close to me. My heart sank when I read the original post. Every LEO is in harms way every stop regardless of the situation because you never know what awaits inside the car. My thoughts and prayers to the families involved.

waksupi
08-31-2012, 12:43 AM
I am still in shock that he had a firearm still on him. I call BS on the thought of not searching EVERYWHERE a suspect may have a firearm on them during an arrest. More administration ****, the top end afraid of being sued.
It ain't date night, he is being taken into custody, and first base doesn't count. I don't care if he has a Thompson shoved up his butt, I would want it found. The hell of it is, we know there are several micro firearms available, that would be easily concealable, and powerful enough to do the job at contact ranges. I can see how one could be missed.

Moonman
08-31-2012, 07:18 AM
Prayers to all the families.

ErikO
08-31-2012, 10:32 AM
Prayers sent.

Traffic stops and domestic calls are the two main reasons I stopped considering a law enforcement gig years ago.

9.3X62AL
08-31-2012, 10:39 AM
The action we crave

Runs close to the grave

And sometimes we bury our dead.

(Rick Baratta, PORAC)

Requiescat in pacem, frater.

gray wolf
08-31-2012, 11:09 AM
Not good, not good at all. Killing anyone is bad,
But killing a L E O is way over the top, Prayers for them and the families.
This world is starting to over flow with the scum of society.

Wayne Smith
08-31-2012, 11:46 AM
One consolation, there is probably a WVU co-ed alive today because of their actions. Being an alumni that resonates with me. We no longer live in a Christian society and we are seeing the inevitable results of this increasingly. Pure selfishness and pure evil are distinguishable.

My prayers go out to the families, the officers recovering, and their doctors.

ErikO
08-31-2012, 01:11 PM
One consolation, there is probably a WVU co-ed alive today because of their actions. Being an alumni that resonates with me. We no longer live in a Christian society and we are seeing the inevitable results of this increasingly. Pure selfishness and pure evil are distinguishable.

My prayers go out to the families, the officers recovering, and their doctors.

Shoot, the wrong Godlen Rule seems to be the rule of the day. Almost forgot to add the EMT/Para teams to the prayer. Seeing a uniform on the gurney is second only to a kid is a sentiment that I have heard from my friends that are in that line of work.

shdwlkr
08-31-2012, 01:12 PM
LEO's in my part of the world are more there to help not be targets. I am so sorry for the families, friends and other LEO's that will now have this to think about for the rest of their lives.

Here we like our LEO's well most of that is, they are human, for the most part there to help and if there is a problem to get it under control the easiest way they can.

Sad to see that they have become targets. When I lived in NM they where targets for Ms13 as that was the way you got into the gang was to kill a LEO, those individuals who wore a badge were always on edge. A friend of mine back then told me just how bad it was for his men and women when they went out on patrol. Not a good thing to have added to the mix when all you might be doing is stopping someone to tell them they have a tail light out and by the way you didn't make a complete stop at that stop sign.

Freightman
08-31-2012, 01:51 PM
Sad when anyone gets murdered, but someone who is dedicated to being a servant is sadder, prayers sent for the family.

44man
09-01-2012, 08:55 AM
I know a few state troopers here in WV and knew some in Ohio. Real professionals and normal fellas that face terrible things and sights. They deserve support and prayers every day. They are like our wounded warriors in every sense but they must keep working.

fatelk
09-03-2012, 06:45 PM
Sympathy and prayers for the officers and their families. I know people gripe about cops sometimes, but I have a lot of respect for the job they do.

The same thing happened to a good friend of mine, ten years ago next week. He was one of the good guys, gunned down by a doped-up dirtbag.

wv109323
09-04-2012, 08:54 PM
P.S. The second trooper did die. He was on live support and was removed after about three days. His name was Eric Workman. He was 26 and was from the community that he served. He was a baseball player and had set many records at the small college that he played at.
The dirt bag that did the shooting had stolen a car to go to Morgantown-WVU to see his sister and another girl.