PDA

View Full Version : 6 pt or 8 pt fold crimp? Which is better?

RGMJ
08-28-2012, 10:19 PM
Hi Guys,

I cast slugs and buckshot for my 12 ga shotgun. I am finding both 6 pt and 8 pt crimps on once fired hulls.

What is your preferred fold crimp 6 or 8? What are the advantages of one over the other?

For new unfired skived hulls, what would be the best crimp 6 or 8 to better assure tight crimps? Do I really need the Super Crown crimp starter for new hulls?

For buckshot and slugs, what crimp do you recommend - 6 or 8 pt?

Thanks for any reply!! :))

MT Chambers
08-28-2012, 11:35 PM
There's really no dif., just use the same as the used case had originally or your attempts will look amateurish.

NZSarge
08-29-2012, 03:03 AM
Hi , I also cast and reload B.S and Slugs.

Having used both my preference is 8 point. For me, on an old Mec, the 8 point just seem to crimp a little better, particularly AA hulls.
Could be that they just look cleaner though...both work.

shotman
08-29-2012, 03:13 AM
as the hulls got thinner they went to the 8 point crimp. so would be best to stay with it on the newer hulls . Rem tried the 6 for a while on the black thin hulls and dropped it as they would leak small shot

x101airborne
08-29-2012, 05:46 AM
A 6 point crimp will put more material sticking down to the top of the slug or shot load. If you are having a slight bulge after crimping you can adjust the amount of room for your shot load by changing crimp. Other than that, my steel loads get a 6 point crimp along with my buck and slug loads. My dove and phesant loads are 8 point crimps. It is all about how the shot lays in and the amount of room a particular recipe gives you.

sargenv
08-29-2012, 10:55 AM
If there is shot leaking out of your 6 point crimps, there is nothing that says you can't use a very thin (.010") overshot card.. I do this for loads where I buffer my steel shot to keep the buffer in (published load data). It works just as good for lead shot.

If I were loading new cases, I would look into using a roll crimp.. I read in a BPI manual that this will actually lower pressure by about 1500 psi over the fold crimped shells.

UNIQUEDOT
08-30-2012, 01:47 PM
For new unfired skived hulls, what would be the best crimp 6 or 8 to better assure tight crimps?

Definitely use a six point for new hulls as it's much easier to form with no hole in the center. Eight points on new hulls will have a very small pin hole in the center which is actually so small that not even a number nine will escape, but it isn't as pretty.

For buckshot and slugs, what crimp do you recommend - 6 or 8 pt?

For reloads eight point if the hull has the capacity, but six point for handloads.

What are the advantages of one over the other?

The only advantage is that the eight point will feed smoother in some repeaters due to the nicer taper which is formed easier in most, but not all cases. The eight point crimp was actually a target shooter thing that most hunters ignored. Target shooters believed the eight point crimp held tighter offering more uniform pressures and that is the reason it's still with us just as high brass bases are still believed by some to be stronger, but regardless eight points do allow for a smoother taper when using only a reloading press to assemble.

Do I really need the Super Crown crimp starter for new hulls?

I would recommend that you either try it or buy a lee load all to use as a crimp starter for new hulls as mec crimp starters will not produce factory like results with the brass or nylon starters due to the width of the blades which form the segments. I load all my new hulls on the load all and then taper them on my mec. It's more time consuming, but well worth the effort since the end results are perfect and comparable to the better factory loadings in appearance.

RGMJ
08-30-2012, 08:55 PM
Thank you for your replies.

I in fact use a Lee crimp starter on my MEC. I sawed them off my Lee Load All and using plastic pipe end caps and 1/4 bolts and some plastic cement, I was able to mount them on my MEC.

Thanks again guys.

Newtire
09-12-2012, 10:31 PM
Roll crimp! After the folded crimp wears thin, cut them off and roll crimp them. The Precision Reloading roll crimper makes a rounder crimp than the BPI opne. Small drill press needed.