PDA

View Full Version : CVA mountain rifle 50 cal

Rojelio
08-28-2012, 03:46 PM
I found one in a pawn shop with a USA barrel for 149.00. I thought I hit the jackpot till I looked down the barrel. The outside looked nice enough, but, the bore was solid rust. What a shame:groner:

Roger

docone31
08-28-2012, 03:50 PM
Just cast up some R.E.A.L.s use Valve Grinding compound as lube and see the difference.
Those are amazing rifles.
Very accurate.
You done good.

newton
08-28-2012, 04:10 PM
I know that I have left a muzzle loader uncleaned, and loaded to boot, for a year. Very bad on my part, irresponsible as all get out.

However, it looked like a coral reef was growing in there but I figured I had nothing to loose by cleaning it anyways. I spent a while, and used several different methods, but it was VERY shinny in the end.

Yes, it was pitted some, but not enough to effect accuracy that much. I guess pitting is a little less harsh on accuracy maybe because the projectiles do not move as fast as a modern rifle and they generally have a lot more lube on them. But I am no expert in this so take that with a grain of salt.

Fly
08-28-2012, 05:14 PM
Yea GREAT Rifle. But work on that bore.docones big on fire lapping & I would give
that a try.But I bet if it's not horrable you can bring that bad boy back.

Fly

Rojelio
08-28-2012, 05:41 PM
Well, I would try to clean it, but, I didn't buy it. When I'm buying a used gun, the bore is the first thing I check and that one was a deal killer:sad:

Roger

frontier gander
08-28-2012, 07:25 PM
what barrel was on it? 45 - 50cal?

Rojelio
08-28-2012, 08:08 PM
50 cal.

mooman76
08-28-2012, 09:36 PM
Offer them a hundred. Maybe it will clean up better. Sometimes they do but it depends on your deffinition of rust.

docone31
08-28-2012, 10:04 PM
I bet it cleans right up. Those were Green Mountain Barrels.
Do the R.E.A.L. trick, and put a patch under the R.E.A.L. Make sure it is bottomed on the powder also.
That rifle has a small Knoxx chamber also. A dry ball comes right out! Remove the nipple, put in a couple of grains of powder.
Done!
Even if you have to put a screw into the R.E.A.L. and pull it up an down the bore with lapping compound I bet it cleans right up.
I got one that had been left uncleaned, and with a ball and powder for over 20yrs.
Cleaned right up.
The powder became a solid lump, the ball was a pain, but out it came and it is a good rifle now.

Rojelio
08-28-2012, 10:37 PM
What does it cost to have one rebored?

Roger

OverMax
08-28-2012, 11:13 PM
If the pawn shop guy is aware of its condition and that P/S guy took it in as a trade or a straight buy and got stung on it. Why should you compensate him for careless judgement. Make him a offer reducing His price by the cost of a new replacement barrel including postage and sales tax. Do not accept ("I'll meet you half way.") monkey business. If He accepts your original offer. "Your Good to Go!" _It's becomes your decision on whether you want to try cleaning it or just order another G/M BrL and replace it. If He won't make such a deal. Calmly put the rifle back into its rack position. No harm No foul and go home. Keep in mind " His rifle> It won't be the last used B/P rifle you'll ever run into.

Rojelio
08-28-2012, 11:28 PM
If the pawn shop guy is aware of its condition and that P/S guy took it in as a trade or a straight buy and got stung on it. Why should you compensate him for careless judgement. Make him a offer reducing His price by the cost of a new replacement barrel including postage and sales tax. Do not accept ("I'll meet you half way.") monkey business. If He accepts your original offer. "Your Good to Go!" _It's becomes your decision on whether you want to try cleaning it or just order another G/M BrL and replace it. If He won't make such a deal. Calmly put the rifle back into its rack position. No harm No foul and go home. Keep in mind " His rifle> It won't be the last used B/P rifle you'll ever run into.

My feelings exactly.

Roger

frontier gander
08-29-2012, 03:53 PM
I bet it cleans right up. Those were Green Mountain Barrels.

No they arent, they used Douglas barrels on the USA made mountain rifles.

docone31
08-29-2012, 03:59 PM
Douglas, thats right. I got mixed up there.
I forget where the cut off point is. Either with patch box, or without.
Still a good rifle.

colonelhogan44
08-29-2012, 04:15 PM
Offer him 50 bucks.