PDA

View Full Version : Method to create spherical balls?

Naphtali
08-28-2012, 11:49 AM
I will be needing .734-inch spherical balls as close to perfect as I can create - at a price I can afford. My best solution, were cost not an issue, would be to obtain equipment to swage them.
In the universe of casting RBs, I am aware of molds that cast RBs having a tangent sprue cut - that is, the sprue slices a slight flat into the sphere - and molds where the sprue cut leaves a small teat or raised area on an otherwise spherical ball. From limited experience I am aware that a few minutes rolling these imperfect RBs between glass plates will reduce imperfection at the sprue cut.

I have even watched a caster put teated .58-caliber RBs back into his cast iron mold, rotating teat away from sprue, then squeezing mold halves in a vise to improve the RB's shape. This did a fine job, but I suspect he ran through a lot of molds.

How do I achieve the result I want within a reasonable budget?

MBTcustom
08-28-2012, 12:00 PM
I have a Lyman mold that casts .738. This mold has a rather large sprue, but they designed it so that the top surface of the sprue is even with the radius of the ball. In other words, you can measure it with calipers, and it measures the same from the top of the sprue to the botom of the ball, as it does across the sides.

If you need a perfect round ball, (which I don't understand) you need a ball mill. File off the sprue as close as you can and chunk those babies in the ball mill to make them perfectly round. There are videos on youtube depicting what I am talking about. Its like a fast moving tumbler that has no flats in the barrel. The balls roll and roll and roll and eventually the get peened into perfect roundness.

I use the .738s in my shotgun. I made a special tool to seat the ball in the shell with the sprue exactly centered in the upright position. I am getting amazingly good accuracy out of these balls (about a paper plate at 100 yards) out of a smooth bore. I lube them with 45/45/10. The ball is so huge, I don't think that the sprue causes much issue. That's a lot of mass.

longbow
08-28-2012, 09:15 PM
First a question or two:

- What is "perfectly spherical"? Visibly spherical or within a specific dimension/measurement of spherical?
- What is the purpose of having "perfectly spherical" balls?

If for shooting they do not have to be "perfect".

If the sprue flat/teat offends you then Goodsteel nailed it ~ tumble them and the flat/teat will be pounded into non existence. They will however get small dimples all over them.

If it is 0.734" you are looking for (exactly 0.734"?) Lyman sells 0.735" RB moulds. Mine casts at 0.735" so 0.001" over your desired size but does leave a sprue.

Track of the Wolf also sells 0.735" RB's.

If you are bent on 0.734" then Jeff Tanner can make a mould to cast that size but again, you will have a sprue to deal with.

Alternately if you have access to a lathe, it is pretty easy to make a simple spade bit to bore 1/2 round into two mould halves. You can make it whatever size you want but again, you will have a sprue to remove.

Real curious as to your intentions and requirements.

Longbow

HARRYMPOPE
08-29-2012, 01:17 AM
I have recently tested RB's with intentional drilled hole flaws(up to 10g).Its often no difference in accuracy to 50 yards.I haven't shot at 100 yet to verify the longer range accuracy.I have a Tenner mold and find in finicky compared to a Lyman or lee.it is well made and delivery time was incredible i must add.

george

MtGun44
08-30-2012, 05:50 PM
Why do you want them to be perfect? No offense, but people have been using cast balls
with a flat or sprue for centuries with excellent results.

If you want nearly perfect, buy some from Hornady and test them, if they have your diam.
They swag and roll them, I think. In any case, no sprue mark.

Bil

44man
08-31-2012, 11:17 AM
Any sprue has never had any affect on shooting. I say it is a non issue. Put the sprue up or down and forget it.
Rolling it off is a waste of time too. You will not gain 1/8" at 50 yards.
Been building and shooting round ball rifles for 57 years. Hundreds of one raged hole groups at 50 yards and hitting targets at 200 meters to even think of changing. This is pretty normal at 50 yards with my .54, 5 shots.

Del-Ray
08-31-2012, 01:17 PM
If after all this you still want em round, get a wooden box, throw a handful in it. And then put it in your trunk, or back of your truck. After a few days for rolling around they'll be "round".

felix
08-31-2012, 02:05 PM
That is how fresh whiskey was quickly aged during the depression. There are family photos showing my grandfather's "farm" operation from the 20s. ... felix

44man
08-31-2012, 02:10 PM
That is how fresh whiskey was quickly aged during the depression. There are family photos showing my grandfather's "farm" operation from the 20s. ... felix
No wonder my whiskey is harsh! I need better aging! [smilie=w:

HARRYMPOPE
08-31-2012, 07:14 PM
Any sprue has never had any affect on shooting. I say it is a non issue. Put the sprue up or down and forget it.
Rolling it off is a waste of time too. You will not gain 1/8" at 50 yards.
Been building and shooting round ball rifles for 57 years. Hundreds of one raged hole groups at 50 yards and hitting targets at 200 meters to even think of changing. This is pretty normal at 50 yards with my .54, 5 shots.

thats what my 100 yard tagets look like with my chunk gun.Every time.

KCSO
08-31-2012, 09:21 PM
You need to make a rollling mill for a drill press. A 6" circular disk for the bottom with a 1/2" lip. The rotating top plate is a 6" disk with a 1/2" shank in the center. Set the drill press at low speed and put in a few balls and lower the rotating top plate on to them until they spin free.

1874Sharps
08-31-2012, 10:34 PM
Might I also add that the ball starter and ramrod deform the RB on loading, especially with a tight patch with its added resistence. As others have rightly stated, a sprue does not seem to cause any loss of accuracy. That is a nice target, 44Man!

44man
09-01-2012, 10:21 AM
thats what my 100 yard tagets look like with my chunk gun.Every time.
I cant deny that. It can be done.