PDA

View Full Version : Lee 6 banger w/stripped Sprue pivot bolt

Crash_Corrigan
05-17-2007, 12:49 AM
This the second time I used this and the bolt stripped out in the pivot hole. It was loose and I tightened it and now the silly thing will not hold the sprue plate against the mold and my boolits are coming out lousy with extended bases. What is next? Fill in the hole with some soft wire? A wooden toothpick? Is there a fix for this? This has happend to someone else. Come on guys lend a hand here!

Ben
05-17-2007, 03:19 AM
Sounds to me like it might be time to send that puppy back to Lee Precision.

Ben

AaronE
05-17-2007, 03:38 AM
Or time to Heli-coil that thing and not look back...I have done that to several moulds that have stripped threaded holes. works wonders.

Lloyd Smale
05-17-2007, 05:14 AM
lee will replace it but dont call first or they may try to charge you. Just box it up and send it to them. Ive had probably a half a dozen molds replaced like that.

sundog
05-17-2007, 07:21 AM
Crash, try a set screw per this example (http://home.windstream.net/corkyconnell/mould_pics/Mould_Pics.html).

BABore
05-17-2007, 07:53 AM
When a Lee mold comes out of the box, it should have a set screw installed immediately. Doing it after it's stripped will cause the plate to tilt some, but the plate hold down will correct this somewhat. If it was a 2C mold, then a thread insert, followed by a set screw, would be the answer. You gits what yous pay fer.

Netherwolf
05-17-2007, 09:14 AM
This the second time I used this and the bolt stripped out in the pivot hole. It was loose and I tightened it and now the silly thing will not hold the sprue plate against the mold and my boolits are coming out lousy with extended bases. What is next? Fill in the hole with some soft wire? A wooden toothpick? Is there a fix for this? This has happend to someone else. Come on guys lend a hand here!

Check this link (reply #22) http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=13339&page=2&highlight=stripped+thread

I did this to one of my Lee 6 bangers after stripping the sprue pivot bolt (the rest of my molds will have set screws installed before I strip the bolts). I haven't actually used the mold since the repair but it looks like it'll be okay - we'll see.

Netherwolf

pumpguy
05-17-2007, 04:21 PM
I stripped out my Ranch Dog group buy 6 banger in about 20 minutes. I just drilled the hole out clear through. (I do not remember what size it was.) Then I went to Lowes and bought a bolt and nut and bolted it through. Granted, it won't sit level on the bench now, but, I don't really ever set ot down when I'm casting anyway. I think on my next group buys I might just do that from the get go and not worry about pussyfooting the damn thing waiting for it to strip out.

Nrut
05-19-2007, 06:59 PM
I stripped out my Ranch Dog group buy 6 banger in about 20 minutes. I just drilled the hole out clear through. (I do not remember what size it was.) Then I went to Lowes and bought a bolt and nut and bolted it through. Granted, it won't sit level on the bench now, but, I don't really ever set ot down when I'm casting anyway. I think on my next group buys I might just do that from the get go and not worry about pussyfooting the damn thing waiting for it to strip out.
Pumpguy you're a hell'va lot smarter than I am....I bought a heli-coil kit that cost me more than the GB mold did!....:(

Crash_Corrigan
06-05-2007, 05:02 PM
I sent the mold and nice letter asking them Lee to repair the stripped pivot bolt and instead of fixing it they sent back a new mold. I guess I am going to have to go to Lowes and get a tap and set screw and set it up prior to using it.

Willbird
06-05-2007, 05:37 PM
Just so yaal know.

You CAN buy a STI (standard thread insert) tap, from MSC and buy your STI (standard thread inserts) cheaper than buying the heli-coil kit....I have used both and saw no real advantage to the plastic heli-coil installation tool