PDA

View Full Version : Deep concealed carry for L-frame

bcr
08-28-2012, 11:35 AM
I have been at my new job for a little over a year. I get along well with my co-workers, but the gun subject is the most highly charged subject we have stumbled into, and to make matters worse, there was a fatal shooting with multiple victims a few years ago. It is perfectly useless to explain that if I had been present at the time there would have most likely been only one fatality, and it would have been the aggressor. I am interested in a VERY DEEP concealment holster, so that if I work there for 20 years no one who sees me every day will ever notice that I'm carrying. My first choice is a 3" L-frame Smith. Is this possible? Any ideas? Normally I use a tuckable IWB with a 1911 commander, but that is definitely not concealed enough in this context.

bcr
08-28-2012, 11:37 AM
To complicate things I am 6', 165 lbs.

subsonic
08-28-2012, 11:40 AM
There is no way to carry, on body, wearing normal work attire, anything much bigger than a North American Arms .22 without an informed observer seeing it. A P3AT/LCR or similar might work.

A 3" L-frame is probably not going to happen, especially not a steel framed one.

Your best bet may be something like thunderwear or smartcarry, but I don't like mine.

If it is that deeply concealed, it will be difficult to get to when needed.

Most observers are not informed.

subsonic
08-28-2012, 11:42 AM
It also depends a little on your work attire. If you work in a freezer environment, things change.

bcr
08-28-2012, 11:53 AM
Typically I wear a button-down shirt and dress pants, occasionally a polo shirt

Lonegun1894
08-28-2012, 11:56 AM
Look up a company named WRB Holsters. I have their "pretender" holsters for a Glock 22 and a full size 1911, and carry a 5" 1911 .45 inside a hospital at all times (while wearing scrubs) and have yet to have anyone even give me a funny look. Now before anyone starts in on me with the whole legality of doing this, yes, I know, I know. However, working two jobs, one at the hospital, and the other as a Peace Officer, I am exempt from that prohibition, and actually required by my department to ALWAYS be armed, regardless of where I am, so I am in a bit of a weird situation. One job requires me to carry weather on duty or not, and the other strongly prefers that I not carry on their premises, while admitting that they can not and will not enforce that policy against me as it specifically exempts Peace Officers.

Anyway, their holsters are a tuckable type with the clip being concealed by a cell phone case, and no one nowadays is surprized when they see a cell phone or cell phone case, so this works very well for me. I have carried my Glock 22 there quite a bit, but the 1911 is slightly slimmer and conceals better while also being more comfortable. And the way I see it is this, if I can conceal a full size service semi-auto pistol with no problems, I don't see how a smaller auto or revolver like many people prefer is any trouble at all. Another perk about WRB is that if they don't have exactly what you want, you can call them and discuss your needs and they are excellent about working with you and custom making something to your specifications.

Another option that I used to use is a belly band-type holster worn kind of low in the front, but this is very dependent on what kind of clothing your job requires, so may or may not be practical for you. Best of luck and let us know what you decide. And I appreciate you being willing to stand up and be ready in case of something, because many nowadays aren't even willing to think about it. I work with a bunch of them at the hospital, and it gets annoying how helpless, scared, and unwilling some of these people are.

bcr
08-28-2012, 12:12 PM
Yes, we live in a society of abject sheep. I don't really give a flip if someone doesn't care enough about their lives or their families lives to take personal responsibility for their protection, but what is most sickening of all is the self-righteousness and condescension toward people who shoot. The other day when we were talking about the lady who just won her 5th gold medal in olympic shooting, I commented "What kind of sociopaths are these people that enjoy that sort of thing?" I think only one person at the table noticed.

Lonegun1894
08-28-2012, 01:29 PM
I agree. I mean, it makes me sick that people are so brainwashed as to not be willing to defend themselves and their loved ones. At the same time, it makes me that much more appreciative of the few who are willing to go ahead and put themselves on the line to protect themselves and others. And I don't mean that just as military and LE, but anyone of us here who is willing. The way I see it, the only difference between a police officer dealing with a situation and a good man/woman is the presence or absence of a badge and the ability or lack of, to call for back-up. And in the middle of a life or death situation, I really dont care if you or I have either, as long as the good guys win.

mortre
08-28-2012, 02:41 PM
I've got a 3" L-frame and a commander. I find the commander far more concealable due to the width of the cylinder. I've also got a CCO sized 1911 that blows both out of the water for ease of concealment.

5'10" 190 lbs.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

bcr
08-28-2012, 03:13 PM
What holster do you use?

Any reliability issues with the little 1911s? I have no knowledge of them.

Shooter6br
08-28-2012, 03:37 PM
Smartcarry.....I carried a 4 in Mod 10 with no problems Check the website.

mortre
08-28-2012, 03:48 PM
Kramer Horsehide. I also have a Kramer horsehide gunbelt. A good holster and belt make a HUGE difference.

I've had no issues with the CCO sized one. It's a Wilson Combat CQB Compact. I have had some issues with smaller Springfields, but Springfield fixed them and paid shipping both ways. Their warranty is top notch.

I'm sure their are more experienced than me, but the biggest issues I have seen with smaller 1911's are shooter induced malfunctions. The Aluminum framed ones seem more prone to limp wristing. Magazine and recoil springs need to be changed more frequently as well. As size decreases, so does tolerance for worn springs, weak grip and +P ammo.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

pietro
08-28-2012, 08:35 PM
I've carried both a Colt DS and a 1911 Commander in my Thunderwear w/o any issues, including stretching my waist/belt out a bit to plunge my hand down inside my front to draw.

For those unfamiliar, Thunderwear is worn in front of the groin/genital area, over any underpants but under the dress pants, shorts, etc. & has an infinitely-adjustable velcro belt/strap ( 32-46 )

http://thunderwear.com/images/comfort.jpg

(The example gun shown is not fully-holstered, for display purposes)

Fishman
08-28-2012, 08:42 PM
Check out Kangaroo carry. A j frame just disappears.

BD
08-28-2012, 09:09 PM
Columbia Khakis with the inner zipped pocket on the right. A J-frame in a pocket holster in the zipped pocket. It's very simple and it really does work. You will need the shoot the J-frame quite a bit to get confidence in it.
BD

HiVelocity
08-28-2012, 09:26 PM
Like Pietro, my vote is for the Thunderwear holster. This holster design was developed by a retired federal agent for other undercover Feds. This is the holster to have.

Once you get it adjusted comfortably, you can carry almost any size weapon you can imagine.

HV

PS- For hot summer wear, I carry a KelTec 380 in a pocket holster in a back pants pocket.

subsonic
08-28-2012, 09:39 PM
My wife say, she will notice if you are carrying in a thunderwear or smart carry type thing. And she is pretty modest....

MtGun44
08-28-2012, 10:01 PM
Revolvers are too fat for really deep concealment for most folks.

The primary reason that a big gun like the 1911 is so concealable is that it is so
flat and thin.

A good tucker with a Officers ACP works for me with a tucked in dress shirt
with perfect reliability, although it takes a bit to get the holster and shirt set
correctly.

Bill

Lonegun1894
08-28-2012, 10:03 PM
But would she actually ask or comment on it even if she did notice? I mean, what's the best way to approach someone about it?

Not to be crude, but... "Is that a gun shoved down the front of your pants or are you just happy to see me?" One more reason to not date co-workers.

subsonic
08-28-2012, 10:07 PM
But would she actually ask or comment on it even if she did notice? I mean, what's the best way to approach someone about it?

Not to be crude, but... "Is that a gun shoved down the front of your pants or are you just happy to see me?" One more reason to not date co-workers.

She would know what it is, because I have that holster and have worn a 2.5" 686 in it, so she knows what a gun shape lump looks like. Now, she is pro-CCW, so no big deal. But what if the lady that saw it wasn't and reported a coworker walking around with a suspicious bulge in his shorts?

Just something to think about.

Lonegun1894
08-28-2012, 10:09 PM
Very good point. Thankfully, the ones I work with are so used to seeing random bulges all over the place on various patients, that they think nothing of it and usually tend to not even notice. These are mostly nurses who think any bulge is a colostomy bag, a pacemaker, some sort of access, etc, etc--so I guess I'm very lucky that they are so clueless.

HiVelocity
08-29-2012, 12:14 AM
To carry every day for 20 years in a Thunderwear would be my Ruger SP-101 in .357 Magnum. Sturdy 5 shot, plenty accurate, highly concealable.

BTW, how many holsters noted above can you wash in the washer? Lol!

HV

bcr
08-29-2012, 09:46 AM
I have never tried carrying in the Thunderwear configuration. It doesn't look comfortable if you're standing up or sitting down a lot, but I may get one to try it out.

Otherwise, this got very good reviews:

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Shirts/Undergear-Shirts/Holster-Shirt.html

And I also like the look of the Kangaroo rig, so I will probably pick up one of each and try them out.

BD
08-29-2012, 09:27 PM
Seriously, you guys are WAY over thinking this. Buy a pair of pants that aren't too tight and have adequate pockets and anyone can drop a J-frame snubby in a pocket holster, (like the Desantis Nemesis), into their front pants pocket and go on about their business. Lot's of folks have been carrying this way since the '20's without an issue. This allows you to wear any shirt you want, change your shirt, or go without a shirt. You can wear a tool belt, climb a ladder, crawl under a truck, run a mile, use the rest room, use a locker room and even change into a swimming suit without anyone giving you a second look. Feel a threat? you can walk around with your hand on the grip ready to draw without looking at all out of the normal. Try walking around in that mode using Thunderware and see what king of looks you get! The Columbia pants with the double right hand pocket are great for this, they'll get you through anything less than a pat down or strip search, and the zip pocket allows you to hang upside down, or fall asleep in the theater, without any concern of dropping your piece or shooting yourself in the butt. Members Mark $12.00 jeans also work just fine. Pleated khakies work great. Cargo shorts work great. There really is no need to re-invent this particular wheel, or spend extra dollars on a rig that just makes the firearm less accessible.
Been there, and been doing that, for a long time now.
BD

MT Trapper
08-29-2012, 10:05 PM
Check out www.remoraholsters.com they have a unique material that they use for their holsters. It is kind of a rubber on the outside really sticks to the skin and clothing. Works great for me, been concealing a full size 1911.
Trapper

MtGun44
08-30-2012, 01:13 AM
No way would I point a loaded gun at my 'junk' or my femoral arteries (sitting). No amount of
'it will be fine" discussion will change my mind one tiny bit. Do whatever you want, it is
your body - but no chance I will do it.

A Kel-Tek 9mm or Colt LW Officer's ACP in a tucker holster with a button-down, tucked in dress
shirt works perfectly for me when I need to be dressed that way. Located behind the right
hip point, not pointed at any part of my body.

Bill

Moonie
08-30-2012, 03:09 PM
No way would I point a loaded gun at my 'junk' or my femoral arteries (sitting). No amount of
'it will be fine" discussion will change my mind one tiny bit. Do whatever you want, it is
your body - but no chance I will do it.

A Kel-Tek 9mm or Colt LW Officer's ACP in a tucker holster with a button-down, tucked in dress
shirt works perfectly for me when I need to be dressed that way. Located behind the right
hip point, not pointed at any part of my body.

Bill

I'm with you Bill, I'd have to carry it in condition 3, and that just doesn't sit right with me.

I'll stick with my officers size 1911 in IWB at 4:00, condition 1.

Lonegun1894
08-30-2012, 04:50 PM
Come on y'all, how bad do y'all wanna have kids anyway??? :kidding:

MtGun44
08-30-2012, 06:03 PM
I had a high school classmate whose father failed to return from a hunting trip. They found
him sitting dead beside the truck, door open, .30-30 laying on the seat with an empty case in
the chamber. Shot through the hips, severed femoral artery or arteries, dropped and
bled out in a minute or two. They figure he had the gun loaded, hammer down laying
on the seat beside him. Stopped, pulled the gun - hammer caught on the seat and then
released.

I NEVER point a gun at myself ( I know another shooter with one finger missing. . . .) and
ESPECIALLY at my big arteries.

Remember the safety rule " NEVER point a gun at something you aren't willing to put a bullet hole in." ???

I'll pass on the front side, in-the-pants holsters, thanks.

Bill

Lonegun1894
08-30-2012, 06:58 PM
MtGun,
I know you are absolutely right, and I'm sorry for your friend's father. As far as this carry method, it is definitely not the safest idea out there, but it does work, IF the risk is worth it to you, and you choose a proper weapon to do it with, and a proper holster. And above all, this is one method where keeping your finger off the trigger is possibly more critical than someothers, but having said that, we all know to keep fingers off triggers til ready to shoot, so should be a given.

Moonie
08-31-2012, 01:51 PM
Come on y'all, how bad do y'all wanna have kids anyway??? :kidding:

I have 8 of them already, don't want more, but also don't want that part of my anatomy ventilated in any way.

dangerranger
09-01-2012, 11:27 PM
It used to be that a man who carried would have his suits tailored with a leather pocket. This did a few things. It was snag resistant, longer wearing, and helped with printing of the gun. This was before pocket holsters were as common. My moms uncle worked for the Feds from the late 30s till some time in the 60s. By the time I could remember He still had what my mom called custom made suits. He carried a Detonics Pocket 9. In that leather pocket it would disappear .
I'm not sure I could do a full sized gun all day every day, But I think I could find a mid sized pistol that I could be comfortable with. If Cowboy casual was OK at work the top of a boot could easily be fitted with a holster, or an over sized wallet could be used to cover a small to mid sized gun.

Good luck with the deep cover, Most people I know that carry 24/7 are in jobs that every one else around them are carrying too! I think that keeping a carry gun hidden from casual strangers is easy enough but those you are around a lot will be a challenge! DR

cptinjeff
09-02-2012, 05:23 PM
I wore thunderwear almost every day for a couple years. While sitting the weapon always "worked" on the nerves and muscles around my "man area". It is now eight years latter and still have nerve issues from that holster. Only a problem if you do alot of sitting or driving. Now I carry 90% of the time with a good pocket holster in cargo pockets. I work outside in S. florida so temps are high and cargo shorts are not an issue. When I am dressed up or wearing jeans ect. I use a remora holster tucked index cross draw positionwith a glock 27. My cargo pocket carry is a SW airweight. The thundwear is good but you MUST change it up with other methods occasionally.

MasS&W
09-04-2012, 08:47 AM
The roundness of revos make them easier to conceal, IMO. Shirts bunch up, and the rounded organic nature of a wheelgun breaks up their outline, especially with round butts. I carry a 4 inch K frame in a vertical shoulder rig under a button down frequently. K frames are superior to Ls in this regard. A police trade in model 13 goes for under 300 nowadays. If you want DEEP concealment though, a J frame is advisable.

KSCowboy
09-07-2012, 04:00 PM
Check out the new Springfield XD-S single stack 45. It is very small and thin yet carries 5+1 rounds of 45 acp. http://www.xdspistol.com/specs.php

I've had one for 2 months and it is the most reliable small auto I've ever owned. Very concealable, I'm not a pocket carry guy but some guys do carry them that way. Check out the XD forum for lots of holster info.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-s-discussion-room/

Hamish
09-07-2012, 04:26 PM
I have 8 of them already, don't want more, but also don't want that part of my anatomy ventilated in any way.

I started to say that I don't know whether to congratulate you or pray for you, and upon thinking about it, I think *both* would be appropriate!!:bigsmyl2:

smokeywolf
09-08-2012, 01:39 AM
When I was working plain clothes, I had my suit & sport coats tailored around my shoulder holster and also loose thru the waist for a inside the waist band holster. Also had my pants cut a little fuller thru the lower leg/cuff for my ankle holster.
With regard to the Thunderwear, got to go along with MtGun44. I couldn't walk around all day (or any day) with a gun pointing down into my engine room.

smokeywolf

Combat Diver
09-08-2012, 07:52 PM
Years ago I had the late Bruce Nelson make me one of his Summer Specials for a 3" K frame. Wore it for years. Several makers ie Milt Sparks now make it. I hear good things about the Crossbreed holsters so you might look into them also. Best of luck.

CD

Moonie
09-10-2012, 03:14 PM
I started to say that I don't know whether to congratulate you or pray for you, and upon thinking about it, I think *both* would be appropriate!!:bigsmyl2:

Most of them are grown, 7 grandkids, love when they visit, feed them cookies and get them all riled up then send them home.

CTI1USNRET
09-11-2012, 01:31 PM
I'd look for a light, casual blazer and just change your clothing style. You can carry anything you want if you wear a blazer.

Or carry a Ruger LCR in an ankle holster.