PDA

View Full Version : Speed green "problem"

wlc
08-28-2012, 01:24 AM
OK, So I was able to snag a pint of bullplate before Dan closed up shop. This weekend I mixed up some speed green according to his directions here on the forum (3:1 by weight BW to BP). I am pan lubing right now and so thats what I did. Cut the boolits out with a home-made cutter and man is that stuff STICKY. I ran them through the lee sizer and then tried to load up a few for testing. I had to wipe each boolit nose off individually to keep from gumming up my bullet seater die. Some of the lube on the nose is because of my cutter being able to cut multiple boolits at a time , but the speed green gets all over them anyway from pushing them up through the sizer. Am I doing something wrong?

My question is, Can I add a bit more beeswax to firm it up some? IF yes, how much would be the suggested amount to start with without degrading the lube? Thanks for any help

geargnasher
08-28-2012, 02:52 AM
The "Bullplate" contains a significant percentage of volatile, aliphatic solvent (think naptha or paint thinner) which contributes to the sticky. You might remelt the lube, heat it to about 225F and stir it for about 15 minutes to evaporate the solvent. Also, if I remember correctly Dan usually added carnauba wax to Speed Green, not as much as to the Lotak formula, but enough to make it less sticky. The number of an ounce canauba to a pound of Speed Green comes to mind, but about half that is what I've used to good effect. Boiling off the extra solvent does wonders by itself, though.

Gear

Marlin Junky
08-28-2012, 03:24 AM
Yeah, just let it cook at between 212F and 225F for about 2 hours. You'll need a cookie thermometer, otherwise you may ruin it's beautiful color.

MJ

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-28-2012, 06:29 AM
Yeah, speed green is some sticky stuff,
I also failed at pan lubing with that as well.
while I have never tried cooking speed green, it sounds like a good plan to me.
I have added carnauba wax to it, that helped eliminate the stickiness...that makes it a better lube as well, IHMO.
Jon

randyrat
08-28-2012, 07:59 AM
{GEAR=The "Bullplate" contains a significant percentage of volatile, aliphatic solvent (think naptha or paint thinner) which contributes to the sticky. You might remelt the lube, heat it to about 225F and stir it for about 15 minutes to evaporate the solvent.}
Yeah and didn't Dan have a warning label on it "Do not smoke near it" it could blow up.:kidding:

Dan added ALOX to his recipe to help with something, I think it just added to the smoke.

JonB= if it is that sticky you did something wrong, more beeswax will help

I woke up this morning and didn't put my tall boots on yet. I always like to have my tall boots on before I step into it.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-28-2012, 11:19 AM
JonB= if it is that sticky you did something wrong, more beeswax will help
randyrat
actually, I never made/mixed speed green. I bought it [one time] in bulk from Bullshop and that was some super sticky stuff (maybe Bullshop didn't follow his recipe perfectly for that batch ?) even using it in a Lyman lubesizer the boolits would stick together and it was a nightmare when reloading...sticky fingers and speedgreen fingerprints everywhere ...anyway, I set it aside after I had so much trouble with it, then I ordered some Lotak soft from Bullshop. That was awesome to work with and when He quietly disappeared and before Tina announced their move, I contacted you and got the sample tak + from you...it worked equally well to lotak. after that...then I added some carnuba flakes to the batch of speed green I had laying around, which made it usable.
Jon

rhbrink
08-28-2012, 01:06 PM
I'm thinking that Dan added the alox to help remove the lube from the PVC pipe that he was using when making lube sticks for Lyman and RCBS sizers.

Richard

randyrat
08-28-2012, 07:42 PM
I'm thinking that Dan added the alox to help remove the lube from the PVC pipe that he was using when making lube sticks for Lyman and RCBS sizers.

Richard BINGO........... and it made it smoke...I like ALOX for some plinkin loads and fun fast loading/casting/lubing so I can't cut on it too much

Blammer
08-28-2012, 09:39 PM
I just add more beeswax, problem solved works good too.

Ready on the Right
08-29-2012, 04:18 AM
Hate that Bullshop is out of business, but has anyone picked up the product line? Will we be forever without bullplate? I'll really hate having to do all that shooting to come up with a new favorite lube recipe. :Fire: :kidding:

Gelandangan
08-29-2012, 04:39 AM
I use Randy's carnauba wax on my speedgreen and now it is reaaly nice and firm.
Mind you Oz is a tad warmer than USA in most of the season, so firm lube is needed so thew lube do not run off the groove.

randyrat
08-29-2012, 04:51 AM
Hate that Bullshop is out of business, but has anyone picked up the product line? Will we be forever without bullplate? I'll really hate having to do all that shooting to come up with a new favorite lube recipe. :Fire: :kidding:
Spread N the LOVE

Ready on the Right
08-29-2012, 12:17 PM
Yeah, after that last post, I ran across the TAC replacement for speed green and the Zip replacement for bullplate from randyrat. Now I've lost my good excuse to shoot more.

Hey Randy, do you have a recipe for using Zip, beeswax and carnauba to "homebrew" Tac? I'don't mind buying pre-made, but I'm a beekeeper and have plenty of that wax, and like putting it to good use, as I have done with bullplate. I'd still need to buy the carnauba wax, as I haven't been able to keep them carnaubas hived up!

randyrat
08-29-2012, 08:27 PM
Yeah, after that last post, I ran across the TAC replacement for speed green and the Zip replacement for bullplate from randyrat. Now I've lost my good excuse to shoot more.

Hey Randy, do you have a recipe for using Zip, beeswax and carnauba to "homebrew" Tac? I'don't mind buying pre-made, but I'm a beekeeper and have plenty of that wax, and like putting it to good use, as I have done with bullplate. I'd still need to buy the carnauba wax, as I haven't been able to keep them carnaubas hived up!

Yes here is the recipes= TAC#1
12 ounces beeswax ( processed by fat virgin Norwegian maidens only)
4 ounces of ZIP lube
1 ounce of carnauba wax

TAC soft=
12 ounces of "fat virgin Norwegian maiden Beeswax"
4 ounces of Zip lube

Ready on the Right
08-29-2012, 10:15 PM
Danggit! All my wax is from skinny virgin Italian maidens! Are those liquid ounces or ounces by weight?

randyrat
08-29-2012, 10:28 PM
All by weight. The Zip lube's Volume is very close to it's weight, close enough to use volumetric measurement.

If those skinny virgin Italian maidens have sexy long legs? we'll give em a pass.

RayinNH
08-30-2012, 10:40 AM
All by weight. The Zip lube's Volume is very close to it's weight, close enough to use volumetric measurement.

If those skinny virgin Italian maidens have sexy long legs? we'll give em a pass.

This lube recipe may need pictures :wink:...Ray

Ready on the Right
08-30-2012, 11:03 AM
Thanks Randy, I'll be ordering up some zip and carnauba from ya soon. I appreciate your consent to the substitution of the Italian beeswax, I wouldn't want to violate boolit lube juju!
Ray, if it wasn't for the gusting winds and some rain bands still working off of hurricane Issac, I'd go out and get you some pics of those sexy Italian girls, but they don't like their hive being opened in this kind of weather :mad:

Moonie
08-30-2012, 02:04 PM
http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/3218/pichers.jpg

:kidding::bigsmyl2:

randyrat
08-30-2012, 10:51 PM
You haven't seen the pictures yet8-)

Wingnutt
09-02-2012, 11:57 AM
Yes here is the recipes= TAC#1
12 ounces beeswax ( processed by fat virgin Norwegian maidens only)
4 ounces of ZIP lube
1 ounce of carnauba wax

TAC soft=
12 ounces of "fat virgin Norwegian maiden Beeswax"
4 ounces of Zip lube

Darn....I got a bunch a Apiary Maiden Beeswax (processed by Latin Virgins [smilie=1:)

What I'd like to know, what is ZIP lube?.........thanks

runfiverun
09-02-2012, 04:46 PM
it's the oil randy sells as a "replacement" to bullplate.

geargnasher
09-02-2012, 05:04 PM
Darn....I got a bunch a Apiary Maiden Beeswax (processed by Latin Virgins [smilie=1:)

What I'd like to know, what is ZIP lube?.........thanks

Secret stuff. You're welcome! :bigsmyl2:

Gear

randyrat
09-02-2012, 06:34 PM
TOP SECRET- ZIP Lube = It is a mold lubricant to stop or prevent lead smears and an ingredient in TAC#1, how convenient.

Wingnutt
09-02-2012, 10:31 PM
Thanks team. Now I can at least identify the ratios approximately 70% beeswax, 24% oil and 5.+% Carnuaba. I am on a reconnaissance mission gathering enough data samples for a reliable means of ratios for a wax/oil bullet lube idea I have. I'm not going into bullet lube business though randyrat. Just to satisfy my curiosity. If it works I'll post my recipe on lube sticky post.......