PDA

View Full Version : Colt Gold Cup Adjustable Sight Tools?

evil5826
08-27-2012, 06:48 PM
Any one got a Colt Gold Cup? The sights on the right side there is a circular nut that can be locked down with a flat head. It can be started to be screwed down with a flat head but then the screw meets the bolt, the flat head is useless. However it still needs to be tightened down. Hard to explain but the picture should help.

The red lines point to the nut and looks like it needs some sort of fork type of screw driver to finish tightening it. The blue line just pints to he screw.

evil5826
08-27-2012, 07:10 PM
Looks like the SMITH & WESSON SIGHT NUT SPANNER may work.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=25408/Product/SMITH-WESSON-SIGHT-NUT-SPANNER

Frank46
08-27-2012, 11:35 PM
I had one many moons ago. All I remember is using a small screwdriver to adjust the sights. I seem to remember the S&W sights you had to literally break the screw to repair or replace the sight bar. Frank

Tokarev
08-28-2012, 02:40 PM
The cheap made in China screwdriver sets now include a two pronged bit.

Bill*
08-28-2012, 10:02 PM
I got a set of "security screw" bits from harbour freight. It has those plus about 25 more. ( like 3 pt. phillips, 5 pt. torx, allen with pin in center, and others). For those screws the manufacturer doesn't want us to play with [smilie=1: The entire set was less than $10.

Bill*
08-28-2012, 10:25 PM
Found them:
http://www.harborfreight.com/33-piece-security-bit-set-93388.html

They're a blessing the first time you come across one of these weird screws.

MtGun44
08-31-2012, 12:05 AM
That is the locking ring, you adjust from the other side with a regular small
screwdriver. Leave that one alone, this is to dissassemble the sight and
they usually are crimped or staked enough to destroy the screw if removed.

Bill

evil5826
08-31-2012, 02:42 PM
That is the locking ring, you adjust from the other side with a regular small
screwdriver. Leave that one alone, this is to dissassemble the sight and
they usually are crimped or staked enough to destroy the screw if removed.

Bill

The sight came off during firing. I need a bit like that to secure it down again. Just taking a screw driver to the opposite end will not not screw it in enough, so adjusting the end we are talking about will secure it once again. May need blue lock tight just on that locking ring. It came off twice just trying to screw it in on the flat head screw end.... so that will not work.

MtGun44
09-01-2012, 04:44 PM
Usually, on most guns (not sure on GC rear) they are staked in place with a couple
of punch marks. Red locktight might work, but I'd be real leary of it getting into the
works and locking the whole thing up.

Try a very fine and sharp punch to ding the threads into the slots so that the slotted
nut is locked to the screw.

Bill

evil5826
09-03-2012, 03:50 PM
Makes sense. I think I figured out this entire mystery. I sent my gun to colt to get some scratches removed. The tech removed the back sight by removing the retaining nut by stripping it out. Once done with the work he put it back on stripped and all. What a way to cut corners! Well I put blue locktight on it. Hopefully that will last a little while.