PDA

View Full Version : What is all this "stuff" stamped on this mould?

Hamish
08-27-2012, 06:30 PM
This mould was remarked upon for it's ethereal price attained on the fleabay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lyman-358477-Hollow-Point-2-cavity-Bullet-mold-HP-Mould-reloading-Casting-/290761012867?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b2b4f683

This Lyman DC 358477, with one cavity HP, has various other stampings that I am hopeful can be "esplain-ed" to those of us still deciphering the Lyman/Ideal codexes.

K
YO 3 97282

MtGun44
08-27-2012, 08:32 PM
The overstamped YO 3 97282 is something that I have never seen before. Possibly
Lyman reworked that mold some time ago and restamped it? March 1997, work
order 282? Just a guess.

Bill

fryboy
08-27-2012, 08:46 PM
what no comment on the pine knob ? :P i saw that stamping on the other thread and i too wondered what the heck it was and meant , kinda dismissed it because i'd never ever buy it ( sure adds to the ummm value/confusion tho dont it ? lolz

stubshaft
08-27-2012, 09:59 PM
That YO stamp at the bottom may have been put there by whoever reworked it for the HP.

sparky45
08-27-2012, 10:07 PM
That YO stamp at the bottom may have been put there by whoever reworked it for the HP.

Nope, that's not it. I know the gentleman that HP'd the mold.

Hamish
08-27-2012, 10:26 PM
:popcorn:
Nope, that's not it. I know the gentleman that HP'd the mold.

Rangefinder
08-28-2012, 12:07 AM
:2 drunk buddies: because popcorn gets stuck in my teeth and drives me nutz... :bigsmyl2:

All right--now that the crazy thing is over... Yup--that was my mold. The gentleman that bought it was quick to pay, and excited to hear that it's shipped and should be to him in a few days. It's going somewhere here in the US--that's all that will ever be said about that end of it.

As for all the extra stamping--it's anyone's guess really. Reworking date with the initials of who did it? Comparing it side-by-side with another 477 and taking measurements didn't indicate a thing. No idea beyond the thoughts already mentioned. What I can say is it had nothing to do with the HP modification--I would have remembered doing that. ;)

I really can't for the life of me figure out why it went up so high--the two that were going back and forth on it must have some kind of bank roll that I don't, and know what they want. Value is an individual thing. I wouldn't SPEND $500 on a mold, someone else did. I WOULD spend $thousands$ (if I had it to spend) on an original naginata blade if it was from a particular region of Japan and within a certain time span--others would probably scratch their heads and ask "why'd you spend so much on an old machete that doesn't even have a handle?" It doesn't have to make sense to everyone--just the one doing it. ;)

Originally I figured it would top out in the $60-$80 range, just enough to get something in particular that wasn't for me. As it is, that thing just paid for a whole bunch toward my October Bush Craft and Wilderness class besides that little something it was intended to cover. It's not cheap putting together a class worth of emergency packs before the deposits even start arriving--so I'm grateful that things went the way they did because it took a lot of pressure off.

evan price
08-28-2012, 12:48 AM
Almost $500? AYSM??? Wow!

jlaudio29
08-30-2012, 10:15 PM
holy frickin cow! somebody knows something we dont haha, which is wierd for this forum, ive always thought as a whole this forum knows everything!

Congrats on the extra loot! You must have been in disbelief until you got that email from paypal haha.

Hamish
09-01-2012, 08:38 AM
Well patootie. Wonder if the buyer knows something we don't.

(No wonder the handle looked so familiar. duh)