PDA

View Full Version : ____

ROCKET
08-27-2012, 01:16 PM
Anyone here loading 30/30 on their Dillon 550 ? Do you find the rounds being more accurate on a single stage vs a progressive ? I wanted to get the M die for my 30/30 but i already have the dillon conversion kit. I have an older Marlin and a pre 64 Winnie which I want to take to the range soon.

Speaking of reloading, do I need a gc for loading with about 8-10gr of Unique or 15 gr of 2400 using a cast 170gr ? My understanding is that I need GC for anything above 1400fps. Thanks in advance for any other suggestions you might have for me.

rintinglen
08-27-2012, 01:55 PM
I have an older 450 that I tried briefly to use as a rifle cartridge loader, but quit and went back to using a turret head as a single stage. Rifle cases must be lubed before sizing, and in addition, it is difficult to verify powder levels on a progressive. I typically load less than 400 rounds a month of rifle ammunition, and prefer the ability to check the powder levels at a bunch.
Re 8.0 grains Unique, that probably won't lead. I have shot hundreds of 311-245 95 grainers out of my 30-30 with no problems using 8.0 grains of Unique or 8.5 grains of Herco. 10.0 grains MAY lead, depending on how smooth the barrel, how good the boolit fit and vagaries of boolit construction. 15 grains of 2400 probably will lead, 17.0 grains definitely will. I like 17.5 grains of 2400 with a GC, but 2400 has not worked well for me in this caliber with PB boolits.

runfiverun
08-27-2012, 05:51 PM
i use my 550 to load both my223's, 308's, and 30-30's. [with cast]
you may have to flair the case mouth off press, you might not, make sure you inside champher and use a larger diameter ball on your sizing die set.

Larry Gibson
08-27-2012, 08:29 PM
I do. I clean, NS, deprime, cleaner primer pockets and clean as a seperate operation. I do it on a single stage press but it can easily be done at station 1 on the 550B. When ready to load on the 550B I use a M die in station 1 and prime. The 30-30powder funnel will not bell the case mouth so an M die is needed.

The star is rotated and a new case put in station 1.

Station 2 throws the powder charge.

If a dacron filler is used the charged case is removed from staion 2, the dacron put in the case and it is returned to station 2 then rotated to station 3.

If no dacron is needed I rotate the charged case to station 3.

A bullet is inserted in the charged cases at station 3 and a new case is inserted at station 1.

The bullet is seated at station 3.

The crimp is applied at station 4 or sometimes at station 3 during seating. When depends on bullet and load used.

The sequense is repeated until all cases are loaded.

The expander powder funnel for the .32 H&R can be used in station 2 in lieu of station 1 with sizing being then done at station 1. I do this with pistol bullets sized at .311. The powder die needs considerable adjustment and may need shortening for this to work.

Larry Gibson