PDA

View Full Version : 9.5x57 cast loads needed

rudolphc
08-27-2012, 12:53 PM
Does anyone know of a source for load data, or have some, for the 9.5x57 Mauser, not Mannlicher.

Harry O
08-28-2012, 02:06 PM
I've waited a while to see if anyone else responded. Since not, my experience is with the 9.5x57 Mannlicher Schoenauer (M-S) caliber. You can decide to take it or leave it.

I have a large number of loads gathered from a lot of different places, for both the 9.5M-S and 9.5Mauser. There is very little difference between the two. The Mauser load is usually equal to the M-S load or, at most, a few percent more than the load for the M-S. By few percent I mean no more than 5% at the very most. A lot are less than that. In fact, many of the old (pre-WWII) loading manuals used the same load chart for both the 9.5M-S and the 9.5Mauser.

I don't know how well the Mauser feeds. The M-S's I have refuse to feed flat-nosed or multiple-lube-groove bullets meant for the 38-55 (I tried three different ones). The ONLY cast bullet I could get to feed was the Lyman 375167 round-nose. Unfortunately, it does not have a gas-check. I was able to get good accuracy with Bhn 12-13 (air dropped into a towel) up to about 1,200fps. By heat treating them to Bhn 18-20 or so (dropped into cold water), I was able to get up to about 1,600fps.

I next tried straight monotype (Bhn 28), but did not fire any of them. They were so brittle, they cracked when I crimped them into the cases and they broke completely through when feeding some dummies through the magazine into the chamber. I remelted them and added a lot of tin. The final melt was approx 70% lead, 15% tin, and 15% antimony. I dropped them into cold water and they went up to about Bhn 36-39 after a couple of weeks. I was able to go up to 2,100fps with that one. I also torture tested a few of them and they held together instead of cracking.

If you want any specific information let me know what you need and I will try to find it for you.

jomx2
10-27-2012, 08:49 AM
I have a M-S Model 1910 in 9.5X57, have a friend who cut me a mold to cast bullets for it. They come out at 330 gr and shot with IMR Trailboss. They have penetrated up to 42 inches of wet phone book while keeping their integrity. Will post pictures when back at the shop.

Jim

dedeparis
04-17-2017, 03:11 PM
Lyman 375449 has a gas check, is 264 grains, close to the original 270 and has a flat nose that allows the use of the magazine, perfect !