PDA

View Full Version : Hornady LNL subplate sideplay

taminsong
08-27-2012, 07:47 AM
Hello to everybody,

Please help, the subplate of my LNL got a sideplay, and I really don't know how to tighten or to remove this sideplay.

I got a lot of crushed shells in the sizing and powder drop station because it was not aligned properly. I'm checking the manual but I cannot figure it how to tighten the subplate.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Bart212
08-28-2012, 09:57 PM
I think I have the same problem as you, mine is indexing improperly. here's what I've posted on another forum .

OK so I think I broke my press.

Here's what happened. I had a bullet go in the seater 'somewhat' crooked. When it happend I had to get it out do I reefed down on the lever (not hard, it's not like I was putting all of my weight on it or anything severe). Nothing actually broke when I did this.

Well since then. It hasn't been indexing all the way on the up stroke and the down stroke. it's about 1/8" short of fully rotating.

Did I break it or just put it out of adjustment?

RGMJ
08-28-2012, 10:05 PM
Check the screws holding the plate to the ram - could be loose. Better yet call Hornady, they have excellent service!!

Bart212
08-28-2012, 10:32 PM
I just took the subplate off and the screws were tight. I'll call Hornady CS tomorrow. Thanks.

KYCaster
08-28-2012, 10:38 PM
Hello to everybody,

Please help, the subplate of my LNL got a sideplay, and I really don't know how to tighten or to remove this sideplay.

I got a lot of crushed shells in the sizing and powder drop station because it was not aligned properly. I'm checking the manual but I cannot figure it how to tighten the subplate.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Are you talking about the SUBPLATE or the SHELL PLATE?

It looks to me like it would be very difficult for the subplate to get out of position without causing a major hang up.

If the shell plate isn't indexing properly the most likely cause is the indexing pawls are out of adjustment. Adjustment instructions are in the owner's manual.

Check the screws holding the plate to the ram - could be loose. Better yet call Hornady, they have excellent service!!

If the screws were loose enough to let the subplate move, they would interfere with the ram travel, so that's not likely.

Like RGMJ said, if you can't figure it out on your own, call Hornady. They're great people to deal with and they'll walk you through the adjustments.

Jerry

taminsong
09-01-2012, 08:24 AM
This is Hornady's reply to my email:

Kynth,

There are three things that some to mind first, check to see if the center (large) screw that holds the shellplate in place is snug-tight.

Second, check the detent balls on the bottom of the shellplate and make sure they have not been pushed up to far or if one has and the other has not and they are now making the shellplate uneven.

Third, remove the shellplate and the subplate below and check the seating on the subplate to make sure it is completely seated and and everything is tight; which would include the two screws on the right and left under the subplate on the ram.

In the event these things do not work for you please call tech services 2 1-800-338-3220.

KYCaster, the subplate is really moving together with the ram, I really don't know how to tighten or to disassemble them. I looked at the manual but cannot figure it, lol!

I will check #3 idea when I get home tonight.

Thanks for the help.

KYCaster
09-01-2012, 11:44 AM
If the ram has side to side play you have a serious issue with worn or out of spec parts....either the ram or the frame casting.

If that's the case I'd say the only option is return it to Hornady for a major overhaul.

Jerry

taminsong
09-03-2012, 09:19 AM
Tried idea #3, both allen screws were real tight, couldn't budge it!

The ram to frame fit is ok, its the subplate that will turn/moved to left and right directions and the ram will do the same.

daniel lawecki
09-03-2012, 09:39 AM
Iwould box it up and send it back. My serial on mine is 07427 havent had a single problem it stated area. My press must be atleast 6yrs old. With about 100,000 rds loaded.

taminsong
09-05-2012, 12:39 AM
Iwould box it up and send it back. My serial on mine is 07427 havent had a single problem it stated area. My press must be atleast 6yrs old. With about 100,000 rds loaded.

Can't do that, shipping will kill me, :)!

Anyways, press is still functioning but I have to go slow.

Thanks for all the replies, really appreciate it.