PDA

View Full Version : Forster CoAx press?

no34570
08-27-2012, 03:55 AM
Hi
Hoping to get some honest opinions,on the Forster Coax press,thinking of getting one to update my old old single stage press,which has the wobbles,it is an old Simplex(Aussie company)was 2nd hand when I got it,mostly use my Lee Classic Turret press,but need a single stage one,that is more updated.

Does anyone own one?,if so,do you like it? Would you hesitate to get another(if you had to)?

Are there any weaknesses that I should know about of this press?

How stable is the die with the lock ring setup in the press?
Do you have to use the Forster die lock rings?

Pros and cons?
Seen on the internet about an article for how this press gets its leverage,does anyone have the article?

Is there another press you would recommend,if not the Forster?

Thanks for your input;-)

Ola
08-27-2012, 07:52 AM
What is the price of Co-Ax in Australia compared to f.e. RCBS Rockchucker?

Here the difference is big enough that almost no-one has Co-Ax.

The little experience I have with it is all positive. Especially If you need an press with LOTS of power, Forster is a good choice.

MT Chambers
08-27-2012, 08:44 AM
I'd take a Co-ax over all others, since I got mine, I find i use it more and more for tasks that i was using my RC on. Too many advantages to list.

Dan Cash
08-27-2012, 08:59 AM
After fifty years of reloading, I finally got a Co-Ax; now I have two. They are a wonderful press with the attributes already noted.

To answer your specific questions:
The dies are very stable as they sit in the press as they can float or be locked solidly in place;
You do not have to use the Forster die rings but they work better. I do not have Forster rings on all of my dies.

The only weakness I have found is if you wish to use a tall co-axial seating die like the Mecham, it will not clear the over arm operating lever. As a single station press, I find the Co-Ax peerless and have retired my 2 Rock Chukers

JMtoolman
08-27-2012, 09:22 AM
I second Dan Cash's comments. I have had mine, second hand one, for about 25 years, and still love it. Best single stage press, bar none! A retired machinest.

Ickisrulz
08-27-2012, 09:25 AM
This press has been discussed quite a bit here. Some love them, some do not. See this thread for a long discussion and/or run a search:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=133171&highlight=co-ax

MT Chambers
08-27-2012, 03:22 PM
It is important to note that earlier Co-ax presses do not have the height clearance at the "yolk" that the new ones do. My newer Co-ax easily clears the tall Vickerman seating dies.

Jack Stanley
08-27-2012, 05:54 PM
I bought mine in the early eighties and have been using it regularly when I don't need the progressive press . I likely would buy another if I thought I was going to need it . The few jobs it doesn't do well are covered by a Pacific 007 press .

Jack

kir_kenix
08-27-2012, 06:08 PM
I love my co-ax. I honestly believe it is the best single station press on the market. My ex-wife accidentally gave mine away to goodwill during a move, and it was my first purchase upon moving into our new home. If that isn't an endorsment for a product I don't know what is lol.

no34570
08-27-2012, 06:19 PM
What is the price of Co-Ax in Australia compared to f.e. RCBS Rockchucker?

Here the difference is big enough that almost no-one has Co-Ax.

The little experience I have with it is all positive. Especially If you need an press with LOTS of power, Forster is a good choice.

A Forster Coax,will set you back around the $400 mark and the RCBS Rockchucker,around the $240-$290 mark,all things from the US are dear here,it is bull poop!:-(

no34570
08-27-2012, 06:32 PM
I love my co-ax. I honestly believe it is the best single station press on the market. My ex-wife accidentally gave mine away to goodwill during a move, and it was my first purchase upon moving into our new home. If that isn't an endorsment for a product I don't know what is lol.
:eek: she gave it away?,that is why she is the ex:mrgreen:

Have to wait until October for them to come in,so I will see if I can get more info on them,but it is looking good,thanks

no34570
08-27-2012, 06:34 PM
Looks like I might have to get one,might see if I can get my old press some new parts and have that to do cast boolit sizing,hmmm
Thanks for the help fellas,appreciated ;)

Dan Cash
08-27-2012, 07:28 PM
Looks like I might have to get one,might see if I can get my old press some new parts and have that to do cast boolit sizing,hmmm
Thanks for the help fellas,appreciated ;)

If your ram is sloppy perhaps the press could be line bored and the ram bushed. What say you machinist here on the board?

no34570
08-28-2012, 12:27 AM
If your ram is sloppy perhaps the press could be line bored and the ram bushed. What say you machinist here on the board?
I was thinking of doing that,might look into it,as well as getting a new ram for it,thanks for the idea[smilie=s:

paul h
08-28-2012, 11:52 AM
I have both a rockchuker and co-ax mounted side by side on my loading bench. Long story short, the rockchucker collects dust, the co-ax is used to load my ammo. The only thing I need the rc for is my 500 Jeffrey as the dies have a 1" body.

If you load several calibers and are constantly swapping dies, sliding them in and out on the co-ax is a huge time saver, and the co-ax design allows the die and case to "float" so that they are self aligning.

no34570
08-28-2012, 11:55 PM
I have both a rockchuker and co-ax mounted side by side on my loading bench. Long story short, the rockchucker collects dust, the co-ax is used to load my ammo. The only thing I need the rc for is my 500 Jeffrey as the dies have a 1" body.

If you load several calibers and are constantly swapping dies, sliding them in and out on the co-ax is a huge time saver, and the co-ax design allows the die and case to "float" so that they are self aligning.
It is an ingenious idea they came up with,me thinks I shall be buying one in October then ;)

Suo Gan
08-29-2012, 12:59 AM
It is a good press, its major flaw is ergonomics. You have to reach too far up and down and if you are used to a 'normal' press, your operating it will take some getting used to. I give it an 8 out of 10 over all. You will enjoy depriming with it. It is built very well, its function requires much tighter tolerance and more expensive machining than other presses, hence its more expensive price.

Do not buy the Hornady steel locking rings (for use on the CO AX they are not good, otherwise they are great rings). They are too thin, and they have a cut out that allows the die to rotate and move out of battery. Buy the stock Forster aluminum rings they work much better. Also get the short handle, it improves the reach.

no34570
08-29-2012, 07:11 PM
It is a good press, its major flaw is ergonomics. You have to reach too far up and down and if you are used to a 'normal' press, your operating it will take some getting used to. I give it an 8 out of 10 over all. You will enjoy depriming with it. It is built very well, its function requires much tighter tolerance and more expensive machining than other presses, hence its more expensive price.

Do not buy the Hornady steel locking rings (for use on the CO AX they are not good, otherwise they are great rings). They are too thin, and they have a cut out that allows the die to rotate and move out of battery. Buy the stock Forster aluminum rings they work much better. Also get the short handle, it improves the reach.
Suo Gan
Thanks for that,was going to stay with the Forster rings,that will cost me a bit to get the rings for all the sizing dies I have,don't matter,I'll get a few at a time,also the short handle.
thanks

bbqncigars
08-31-2012, 08:34 PM
I personally don't see the need for the short arm. I just sit a little bit off to the side and grasp the handle just over the yoke. A quick forearm twist does the job. Another thing I do is to turn the bottoms of certain regular shellholders until they are a steel rim that the regular Co-Ax jaws can grasp. Thus I can use the standard jaws for the 45-70. Doing this is much less bother than changing the jaws around. Just my $.02

Wayne

flashhole
08-31-2012, 08:47 PM
Like Suo Gan, I did not care for the ergonomics. I got tired of pinching my fingers seating bullets in long magnum cases. It's well built and an good design but I like my Redding Ultramags a lot better.

rwsem
08-31-2012, 09:46 PM
I've run the Forster Co-Ax for a few years now. Combined with the long arm, it's great for forming wildcat brass. I use Hornady New Dimension dies and bullets seat squarely without pinched fingers.

GLL
08-31-2012, 09:56 PM
I have never used a Co-Ax but see that everyone always compares it to the RCBS Rockchucker. Since the Co-Ax costs twice as much would not a better comparison be to the RCBS A-2 or A-4 presses.

Jerry

Ickisrulz
08-31-2012, 11:10 PM
I have never used a Co-Ax but see that everyone always compares it to the RCBS Rockchucker. Since the Co-Ax costs twice as much would not a better comparison be to the RCBS A-2 or A-4 presses.

Jerry

Those presses are only available on the used market. Price-wise, maybe the CH4d Champion? Although the Champion doesn't have any unique features like the Co-Ax does...it's just very strong.

no34570
09-01-2012, 09:11 PM
Fellas
The RCBS Rockchucker is a good press,my friends dad has one and he likes it alot,but when I saw the CoAx,I thought Hell,that is one strong looking press and I like the idea of the floating dies and the shellholder,I don't get much opportunity to update my reloading presses much,for they last a long time,time to buy new,not second hand like i did about 28 years ago.
I like both presses,but my nod is going to go towards the CoAx,unless I like something else :)

Artful
09-02-2012, 12:12 AM
Suo Gan
Thanks for that,was going to stay with the Forster rings,that will cost me a bit to get the rings for all the sizing dies I have,don't matter,I'll get a few at a time,also the short handle.
thanks

Hit the gun shows a lot of older RCBS rings will work with the Co-ax and you can pick them up cheap.
Also Hornady New Dimension lockrings and Sinclair http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=38782/Product/Sinclair-Lock-Rings-3pk- rings work
and I'm told the Lee lock rings that have the "O" ring on the underside work quite well, also but I've never tried it.

You will actually find a lot of lock rings work - some may be too thick to go in {.317" thick is what's spec'd} and some skinny so they have more float than rings designed for the press, but will still work.

no34570
09-02-2012, 07:05 AM
Hit the gun shows a lot of older RCBS rings will work with the Co-ax and you can pick them up cheap.
Also Hornady New Dimension lockrings and Sinclair http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=38782/Product/Sinclair-Lock-Rings-3pk- rings work
and I'm told the Lee lock rings that have the "O" ring on the underside work quite well, also but I've never tried it.

You will actually find a lot of lock rings work - some may be too thick to go in {.317" thick is what's spec'd} and some skinny so they have more float than rings designed for the press, but will still work.
Artful
Thanks for that mate,will look into that,appreciate it :drinks:

flashhole
09-02-2012, 07:29 AM
I don't know about the RCBS rings but I didn't think the Hornady or Lee rings worked all that well. Hornady rings fit but the die would rotate during use and eventually the flat side of the die ring would migrate to the edge. Same with Lee.

no34570
09-02-2012, 08:53 PM
I don't know about the RCBS rings but I didn't think the Hornady or Lee rings worked all that well. Hornady rings fit but the die would rotate during use and eventually the flat side of the die ring would migrate to the edge. Same with Lee.
That is interesting,I was wondering why no other lock rings would work in the CoAx,maybe that is why,the square edge of the lock rings,it would figure,so maybe get some Sinclairs or just the Forster lock rings,too bad they cost a lot here in Australia....but?

tonyjones
09-02-2012, 09:37 PM
In the past I've seen the Forster die lock rings offered in packages of 10 (or 12) at significant discount. Midway's monthly flyer comes to mind. You might look into that.

Regards,

Tony

Artful
09-03-2012, 12:26 AM

Flashhole - sounds like your thinking of the Hornady Sure-Loc Lock Rings
http://images2.opticsplanet.com/365-240-ffffff/opplanet-hornady-sure-loc-lock-ring-044000.jpg

The older RCBS that were NOT split ring
http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/l_749000411_1.jpg

is what I picked up a lot of at gunshows past.

milprileb
09-03-2012, 03:23 PM
Co Ax: if handle arc bothers you, make a shorter handle. I put on the roller handles (short and long) on my Co Ax presses. Takes a race car and makes it NASA grade rocket ship ! I got my roller handles from Inlinefabrications.com. Dan runs it and is a sponsor here. Contact him at : 1in9twist@gmail.com

My Rock Chucker rarely gets used, Co Ax is so much more better in all regards

Yes, there are two Co Ax. First generation made by Bonanza had a smaller yoke and the really tall dies like 338 won't fit without sending press to Forster for $80 upgrade of new yoke.
Current generation Co Ax are made by Forster and have a larger yoke and take any dies.

I use Lee, RCBS, older Pacific and Forster die rings. All work fine. The Lee have done very well indeed.

Downside and only one I have found is the CO AX priming system is not worth fiddling with. Oh it works buts its not convenient to set up. Not a shell holder snap in situation, you fit their 3 side pieces to fit your case rim. Its a North Korean idea .

no34570
09-03-2012, 06:32 PM
Co Ax: if handle arc bothers you, make a shorter handle. I put on the roller handles (short and long) on my Co Ax presses. Takes a race car and makes it NASA grade rocket ship ! I got my roller handles from Inlinefabrications.com. Dan runs it and is a sponsor here. Contact him at : 1in9twist@gmail.com

My Rock Chucker rarely gets used, Co Ax is so much more better in all regards

Yes, there are two Co Ax. First generation made by Bonanza had a smaller yoke and the really tall dies like 338 won't fit without sending press to Forster for $80 upgrade of new yoke.
Current generation Co Ax are made by Forster and have a larger yoke and take any dies.

I use Lee, RCBS, older Pacific and Forster die rings. All work fine. The Lee have done very well indeed.

Downside and only one I have found is the CO AX priming system is not worth fiddling with. Oh it works buts its not convenient to set up. Not a shell holder snap in situation, you fit their 3 side pieces to fit your case rim. Its a North Korean idea .
Thanks
Have seen Dans handles,might get one or two.
The Coax press I will be getting is the newer one,made by Forster,I see alot of different opinions on the die rings,I'll wait until the press arrives and go from there,but everyone has given me good advice,which I am extremely grateful for.
The priming system on the CoAx,is not a problem for me,as I do my priming by hand on a hand primer.
Thanks mate for the information ;)

lmcollins
09-03-2012, 10:42 PM
I have had a co-ax since the mid 70's and love it.

It works with any lockring - but- some of them float more than others. If the ring doesn' have the height to fill in the slot in the press the die wiggles around a bit. The easy way to stop this is to make a spacer to put under the lockring so that it fills the slot up. If the spacer is compressable it should be put under the ring towards the bottom of the press.

I don't bother, and just let the die body float. I suppose a spacer could be made out of something like plastic pipe or even wood. It only needs to be a slip-fit over the 7/8 x 14 thread of the die body. A 15/16th speedbore or hole saw would work for the critical demension.

I just use my dies as they come from the factory and take 2 seconds more time.

Rory McCanuck
09-04-2012, 03:55 AM
Before spending a bunch of money on what the internet says, try the rings you already have.
I was worried, but Lee rings work fine for me in the Co-ax.
And yes, the ergonomics are different, but it is very nice to use. Because all the work occurs
in front of the press, rather than from the side like a normal "O" press, I think I will mount
mine further back from the edge of the bench. It's on a portable stand now because I wanted
to see how I liked it before mounting it permanently, but find I'm doing everthing at the portable
stand.

no34570
09-05-2012, 07:09 AM
Before spending a bunch of money on what the internet says, try the rings you already have.
I was worried, but Lee rings work fine for me in the Co-ax.
And yes, the ergonomics are different, but it is very nice to use. Because all the work occurs
in front of the press, rather than from the side like a normal "O" press, I think I will mount
mine further back from the edge of the bench. It's on a portable stand now because I wanted
to see how I liked it before mounting it permanently, but find I'm doing everthing at the portable
stand.
I will be trying all my dies,to see if they work ok (lockrings)before going to spend that sort of money for the other lockrings,might not need too ;)

arkypete
09-05-2012, 08:15 AM
Excellent piece of equipment, I'll buy a second one right after I quit buying guns.

Jim

32ideal
09-05-2012, 08:37 AM
A+++++ for the Forster, have one rock chucker and one A2 that I have used since the late 60's early 70's, in 2002 for a retirement present to myself I purchased a Forster CO-AX press {Best Retirement present I received}, my A2 is in the pole barn only used for heavy case forming at a stand up bench and the rock chucker is alongside my loading bench, I use the Forster rings and also the new RCBS Cowboy die rings work very well, I buy individual used Bonanza/Forster dies at the gun shows for usually less than the rings cost, most have tool marks and or rust on them and they go very cheap, but the rings are the same.

The Co-Ax is one of the few reloading Items I'll hang onto, along with my made in the USA PACT powder measure.

Good luck with whichever press you decide on, 32ideal

:cbpour:

I will be trying all my dies,to see if they work ok (lockrings)before going to spend that sort of money for the other lockrings,might not need too ;)

no34570
09-06-2012, 06:19 PM
A+++++ for the Forster, have one rock chucker and one A2 that I have used since the late 60's early 70's, in 2002 for a retirement present to myself I purchased a Forster CO-AX press {Best Retirement present I received}, my A2 is in the pole barn only used for heavy case forming at a stand up bench and the rock chucker is alongside my loading bench, I use the Forster rings and also the new RCBS Cowboy die rings work very well, I buy individual used Bonanza/Forster dies at the gun shows for usually less than the rings cost, most have tool marks and or rust on them and they go very cheap, but the rings are the same.

The Co-Ax is one of the few reloading Items I'll hang onto, along with my made in the USA PACT powder measure.

Good luck with whichever press you decide on, 32ideal

:cbpour:
Looks like it will be the CoAx press alright and as for getting to the gun shows,the last three that have been in my state,I have missed,had to do other bloody stuff,but will try to get to them and look for those bargains,actually cannot wait not get it.
Thanks mate.

bbqncigars
09-06-2012, 10:42 PM
Keep in mind that if you load any cartridge that won't fit the regular jaws well, that a regular shell holder with the bottom trimmed to the thickness of a typical rim makes for a quick adapter. I do this with both .32acp and 45-70. It's fast, and doesn't involve removing the stock jaws and the risk of flying springs.

no34570
09-07-2012, 12:28 AM
Keep in mind that if you load any cartridge that won't fit the regular jaws well, that a regular shell holder with the bottom trimmed to the thickness of a typical rim makes for a quick adapter. I do this with both .32acp and 45-70. It's fast, and doesn't involve removing the stock jaws and the risk of flying springs.
I'll keep that in mind,good idea too:wink:

no34570
09-07-2012, 12:28 AM
What size bolts do most of you that own a CoAx use to bolt to the bench?

Irascible
09-07-2012, 12:37 PM
The largest diameter bolts you can fit!