PDA

View Full Version : My new to me Lyman mold

shortrange
08-26-2012, 11:51 PM
Hello casters! I am 5 year experienced caster but new to this forum. Looks like I can really learn a lot here. I cant believe I did not find this sooner. I just received a new discontinued Lyman mold, and I would like to learn what I could on it. It is #429303, which is a 44 cal. pointed boolit. I take it it was designed to penetrate, but that is all I would know. Anyone know the history or any other info on this, or how much it is worth? I really doubt I will use it. Most of my casting is for Marlin and Winchester lever guns, as I shoot cowboy silhouette. I dont think the targets would be happy if shot with this, nor the owner of them. :-) Thanks
-Shortrange

HARRYMPOPE
08-27-2012, 12:44 AM
People pay well over $100 for those things.I had one and the square lube grooves made it a bear to fall out of the cavities.it shot well though.

George

rintinglen
08-27-2012, 02:11 AM
It was designed by a fellow named Carl Hudson cerca 1956 who wanted a boolit that woulkd penetrate 3/16 inch steel plate. He called it the "Hi-Velo-Pen" (for high velocity and penetration). He paid the H. P. White firm to pressure test his load and they came up with a max load of 27.5 grains of Hercules 2400. He personally recommended a max of 26.5 grains.

That info was from the 1957 Cast Bullet Handbook.

They have many loads listed for this boolit in the 1980 3rd edition. There, the max load is 24 grains of 2400. I don't know if you can still get a nose punch for this mold, but a Lee push through sizer should work OK.

Bad Water Bill
08-27-2012, 05:22 AM
303 is the # of your top punch.

If you can not find one contact our own member keiththeperfessor@gmail.com who I am sure can help you if you explain your problem.

Hope this helps you.

Guesser
08-27-2012, 08:36 AM
I've had the mold for some years, it was reintroduced by Lyman for a couple years back in the '90's. Good boolit, I use an RCBS seating die and swapped the pistol punch for the one out of a 30-06 die. Doesn't make a mark on the pointed boolit. Loob grooves are very deep, I lapped my mold, boolits drop much more gooder now. I have turned down some ridiculous offers for my late model DC, but it is a keeper.

I like double OOOOO's: boolit, loob, gooder, maybe that makes me a loon?

Shuz
08-27-2012, 10:42 AM
Most of my casting is for Marlin and Winchester lever guns, as I shoot cowboy silhouette. I dont think the targets would be happy if shot with this, nor the owner of them. :-) Thanks
-Shortrange

I wouldn't load the 429303 in a tubular magazine lever rifle. Too much danger with the sharp point detonating a round during recoil. Stay safe!

beagle
08-27-2012, 02:23 PM
I had one. They're lube hogs and take entirely too much lube. They're better at higher velocities.

THink I traded mine to Shuz and he played with it for a while./beagle

HARRYMPOPE
08-27-2012, 10:15 PM
I had one. They're lube hogs and take entirely too much lube. They're better at higher velocities.

THink I traded mine to Shuz and he played with it for a while./beagle

I talked with him about it at A Spokane CBA match a few years back.I think he had pretty good luck with it.He hates 44's though.

George

shortrange
08-28-2012, 12:34 AM
Thanks for all the info. I am surprised that this mold has been discontinued. By the response I have had after mentioning this mold, I could sell quite a few. I will shoot a few out of my 29 just for grins and then probably let it go and use the $ for a mold more useful to my rifles.
By the way, this is a great forum, been reading for hours. A lot of good info here. I have been reloading for 35 years but bullet casting has opened a new facet to the sport for me. I absolutely love it as I guess all of you here do to. The first time I shot a small group out of my 38/55 I was hooked, and it just keeps getting better. Shooting jacketed is so uninteresting now. Think I will heat up my pot now.

Reg
08-28-2012, 12:47 AM
Got a SC back in the mid 60's and have kept a few loaded up ever since. With water chilled lino you cannot believe what damage it will do to a old junk car body and even 1 inch alum plate will not stand up to it.
In the lighter loadings not only is it a pleasure to shoot but it can be very accurate as well. About the only place it falls down is in hunting. That sharp nose just doesn't have the same impact as a good flat nose.
If you like to experiment, I wouldn't be so quick to sell it or trade it off. Lots of potential there.

:drinks: