PDA

View Full Version : Dude, where's my tang?

guninhand
05-16-2007, 04:36 PM
So I buy this used Browning 1885 in 45-70, from an internet gunsite at a good price and it arrives yesterday, in excellent condition, better than described. But it has no tang!:veryconfu I intended to put a nice tang sight on it to compete in BPCR.

Yet pictures of other Browning Hiwalls on the net have a tang. When was this changed? It's drilled and tapped for scope mounts. Are there any receiver peep sights designed for the 1885 highwall? If so, would they have enough range of movement to accomodate a 45-70 trajectory out to 5 or 600 yards?

Also there's a big slotted screw an "ear" on the rim just behind the hammer. It looks like it's meant to be removed with a coin. Anyone know what it's for?

Gussy
05-16-2007, 04:59 PM
You got the hunter version. The BPCR has a tang and comes with target sights. Yours may also have a killer butt plate (if curved steel, not the best for target work) and the BPCR has a wide shotgun butt. Sorry, but you have a very nice hunting rifle. The BPCR has a heavy target barrel made for black powder.

You can mount a tang sight by either putting a steel insert in the stock for screws or have a gunsmith put a tang on and inlet it. As for the butt plate, cut it off and put a good pad on (if it is in fact, the curved steel one).

The "ear" is to catch brass from ejecting over your shoulder. Turn it sideways and it ejects. There is also a small screw behind the trigger to adjust pull (a limited amount).
Gus

Bullshop
05-16-2007, 05:03 PM
The big slotted screw can be set in one of two positions to eather catch the brass or let it be ejected clear of the rifle.
BIC/BS

HEAD0001
05-16-2007, 05:41 PM
I have seen several sales advertisements for Hunter 1885's marked incorrectly. I guess if you want to sell an 1885 on today's market, then you label it a BPCR. Whether it is or is not. Did you see any pictures of the rifle before you bought it? Tom.

McLintock
05-16-2007, 06:55 PM
If your's has no tang, it's not a Traditional Hunter model, but a standard Hi Wall which had a shotgun butt with recoil pad. They were avialable in many modern calibers as well as the 45-70. The forerunner was the B78. The Traditional Hunter has the tang, a curved steel butt plate and was only available in 38-55 and 45-70 and only for a short time. They all had lighter weight hunting weight barrels. The BPCR has the 1/2 oct 1/2 round heavy weight black powder barrel and was only available in 45-70 and 40-65; only the Creedmore model was available in 45-90. The slotted screw with ear is as Bullshop states, for setting to stop the cartridge case on ejection or if you're a right handed shooter to eject it to the left and if left handed, to the right, out of your way. If the add stated it was a Traditional Hunter, I'd send it back, or raise some hell on the auction site, there's generally several hundred dollars difference in price between the standard Hi Wall's and the Traditonal Hunter.
McLintock

Doc Highwall
05-16-2007, 07:44 PM
They also made the traditional hunter in 30-30. Also the hunting model has a ejector with a case deflector. All of the other models only have an extractor. Doc Highwall. I have by Win one 22lr, one 38-55, and 45-90creedmore. By Browning I have two 357mag's, one 223Rem,one 260Rem, ,one 30-30, two40-65's,one 45-70, and one 45-90creedmore. Doc Highwall.

Doc Highwall
05-16-2007, 07:50 PM
I forgot to mention that the new 1885's by win all have a tang.

guninhand
05-16-2007, 08:20 PM
Thanks for those replies. Mine is the hunter version with a 28inch octagonal barrel and shotgun butt. It was advertised correctly but the picture showed it side on, and nowhere in all my research before buying did I come across fact that some models had tangs and some didn't. I knew the BPCR was a dedicated target gun.

I can forego sanctioned matches, but would like to shoot it with a receiver peep if I can get one with enough adjustment.