PDA

View Full Version : Reducing as-cast diameter

yondering
08-26-2012, 07:51 PM
Do you guys have any tricks for reducing the as-cast diameter of a mold? I have a Lee 358-125-RF that I'm using for 9mm, but, typical of many Lee designs, the nose is pretty short, so the bullet takes up a lot of case capacity. I'd like to load it longer so the crimp groove is exposed, but the nose diameter just in front of the crimp groove is too large, and engages the rifling. Don't want to size smaller than I already am, because the driving bands would be undersized, I only want to reduce the nose diameter.

I'm thinking of spraying some high temp coating in the mold, just in the nose portion of each cavity. I have a moly spray that goes on like paint, and also a 1200* ceramic exhaust paint. I'll probably try the moly spray first, and see how long it lasts. The ceramic exhaust paint is pretty permanent, but ends up pretty thin after it is cured.

Anybody here had success with something like this?

runfiverun
08-26-2012, 08:27 PM
that mold prep release stuff is real good at filling in a mold making them smaller.
you could get the boolits to come from the mold smaller by adding lead to your alloy,that might pose some other problems

yondering
08-26-2012, 11:22 PM
I used several layers of my moly lube, seems to be working pretty well so far.

Being 9mm in a stock Glock barrel, I don't want to add more pure lead, it likes the bullets hard.