PDA

View Full Version : Heating Bullets to remove lube...

Husker Leverman
08-26-2012, 05:55 PM
Found a good deal on cast bullets at a small gunshow today, however a lot of the bullets are missing 25 to 50 precent of the lube in the grooves.

What I would like to know is if I heat the bullets up in an oven to liquify the lube and let it run out of the grooves, will I be changing the hardness too much? For now these will be used for target shooting only, so am I concerened over nothing?

The bullets are currently rated at 18 bhn. Lube was stated to be Alox/Beeswax mix.

crawfobj
08-26-2012, 06:02 PM
You're not going to change the hardness at lube melting temps.

Why not just run them through your lube sizer as is to fill in the gaps?

Bill*
08-26-2012, 06:04 PM
You wont need enough temp to affect the hardness. Even under 200 degrees and the lube should run off nicely.

Edit: Ahhh..."beaten to it"

Husker Leverman
08-26-2012, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the replys, new at this. crawfobj - currently do not have a lubersizer, was going to do pan lubing with a reciepe off the site here.

Bill* - thanks, good to know that I won't be changeing the hardness.

rockrat
08-26-2012, 06:09 PM
I just put the boolits in a pot of boiling water, then turn off the heat. When cooled, all the lube is at the top and I skim it off ,dry the boolits, and then re-lube the boolits.

DON't use a good cooking pot, unless you are single, or want to be!!

geargnasher
08-26-2012, 06:12 PM
If you have a lubesizer, just re-lube them. If it was a commercial "crayon lube" that had proven inadequate for your needs, then boiling per Rockrat's recommendation would be the way to go.

Gear

Husker Leverman
08-26-2012, 06:19 PM
rockrat, thanks for that tip I'll do that instead of the oven.

rhbrink
08-26-2012, 07:30 PM
I just put the boolits in a pot of boiling water, then turn off the heat. When cooled, all the lube is at the top and I skim it off ,dry the boolits, and then re-lube the boolits.

+ 1, works great!

**oneshot**
08-26-2012, 07:42 PM
put boolits in a small pot or coffee can, fill with boiling or near boiling water. Once the lube starts coming to the surface, insert a funnel so as to not push the lube back down to the boolits and pour in twice as much hot water as fast as you can. The lube will spill over the top leaving nothing but boolits and water in the pot/can.

This also works great to cleanup a lubrisizer when your experimental lube fails.

runfiverun
08-26-2012, 08:21 PM
experimental lube failure?????whaaa?? :lol:

you have to melt lube and heat the boolits up to pan lube anyway..

Wayne Smith
08-27-2012, 08:16 AM
I'd guess you have it done by now, but I'd just pan lube them as they are unless they are high speed rifle boolits. Then I'd re-melt and recast them anyway.

sw282
08-27-2012, 09:17 AM
l would try shooting a few first... lf they perform ok you just saved yourself some messy labor

blackthorn
08-27-2012, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrat

+ 1, works great!

What does?---Getting the lube off OR getting single?????

Husker Leverman
08-27-2012, 06:59 PM
Update, did the boiling water method. Have read a number of posts where the significant other's utensiles were used, and so I went and purchased my own set pots and pans, have the double boiler, 9x9 cake pan and stirring spoons. All worked out very well, so far. Tonight I'll do the pan lubing.