PDA

View Full Version : This should get it done

Huntducks
08-26-2012, 02:07 PM
Off too WY. in 2 weeks with a handful of Antelope tags to fill, I decided to use my Ruger SBH in 44mag to fill at least one tag I settled on a 215gr HP Lyman 429215GC
man I hate 1C but glad there just for hunting.

I messed around with diff alloys and wet phone books but finely settled on a mix of WW and tin 14-15 bhn they had very good pentration and a solid expansion (I want pass through) and the accuracy was VG.

The bullets finished are .430 and 212-214grs i'm using Unique powder at 1280fps

I feel very comfortable out to 100yds with this gun and load.

I have shot several pigs and deer with this gun but with 200gr Nosler jacketed bullets.

Here are a few pictures range was 75 yards.

So whatch think:lovebooli

danski26
08-26-2012, 08:20 PM
I think those springbucks better watch out!!! Nice looking boolit. Should do the job very well.

44man
08-27-2012, 10:10 AM
It will work. Personally I would use a heavier boolit for any big game.
I will forever be the last to say thin skinned game. They are still tough animals.

sw282
08-27-2012, 12:02 PM
My favorite mold..429215..l picked up a 4 cavity H&G version off the net awhile back and used for the first time last week. Mine weighed in @220gr w/gc cast from range lead and a bit of tin. l used WW brass- Fed lmp primers & 22gr of IMR 4227. The load performed great Sat in Lincolnton Ga at our monthly IHMA match. The bullet had enough power to knock down the 55lb ram @200m from my Model 29-2.lts kinda neat seeing the ram fall over before hearing that "thwock" of the bullet hitting steel. Makes hitting rams a little special. Twas my first experience shooting bullets cast from range lead but they did well for me. They seemed a bit soft compared to wh wt bullets and the mold is marked .429.. l was concerned a bit about leading but hoped the gas cks would handle the lead. l have since checked the bore and it looks pretty clean. l have a few left and was consiering loading some in 44 spcl WITHOUT the gas cks at app 800fps using Unique. My 4227 load was doing app 1100fps. They were sized and lubed @.429 using a Lee sizer and their Alox. Being soft it should well on deer sized game. 30+yrs ago l cast and hunted deer with that ole 44 using a Lee 240 swc bullet and 2400 pdr. l learned from a friend l loaded for that not much pdr is needed. He insisted on a mild load of 8.5gr of Unique for his 44 Super Blk Hwk. 0ver period of 3 years he killed 11 whitetail. All were one shot kills and he only recovered one bullet from them. He said it came from an old buck he shot in the butt at 35yds. He found it low in the chest after it had scrambled the deer's heart.

Those antelopes will love your 44s..Esp the gas cks

Huntducks
08-27-2012, 01:10 PM
44man

I hear what your saying, I have other heavier molds H&G 140 and 503 Lyman 429421but the accuracy out of this 429215 bullet far exceded the others. i'm a real nut when it comes to accurate in my hunting rifles with jackets MOA is acceptable, but I seem to always want 3/4" or less.

I have shot a lot of goats this will be my first go round with a handgun on them, I have 5 tags if I fill 3 i'll be happy and excited if 1 is with the 44, if not oh well but I won't take a poor shot I hate wounded animals so i'll also carry my md 7 rem in 243 just in case.

SW282 I settled on this unique load after loading 2400 BD HS7 I could wring some extra FPS with the others but accuracy and recoil along with a good FPS was enought with unique.

rintinglen
08-27-2012, 01:17 PM
:kidding:Guns no good--there's a hole in the barrel.

Those look like the berries to me. Should a fork horn wander within range, you should be eatin meat.

44man
08-27-2012, 01:45 PM
44man

I hear what your saying, I have other heavier molds H&G 140 and 503 Lyman 429421but the accuracy out of this 429215 bullet far exceded the others. i'm a real nut when it comes to accurate in my hunting rifles with jackets MOA is acceptable, but I seem to always want 3/4" or less.

I have shot a lot of goats this will be my first go round with a handgun on them, I have 5 tags if I fill 3 i'll be happy and excited if 1 is with the 44, if not oh well but I won't take a poor shot I hate wounded animals so i'll also carry my md 7 rem in 243 just in case.

SW282 I settled on this unique load after loading 2400 BD HS7 I could wring some extra FPS with the others but accuracy and recoil along with a good FPS was enought with unique.
I am with your accuracy first thoughts 100%. It is really what counts in the end.
Please post your hunting results when you get back. I wish you luck.

429421Cowboy
08-27-2012, 02:58 PM
Good luck to you! Antelope sure can be tough if you don't nail them just right the first time, accuracy should be key, that boolit will easily do the job if put in the right place.
I have a antelope doe tag this year and i am hoping to take her with my SBH and 429421's powered by good ol' flaming dirt. I had done same as you with 2400 and found that the extra FPS weren't really worth a charge that was twice the weight of my Unique loads.
Share some pictures when you get back!

Huntducks
08-27-2012, 07:59 PM
429421Cowboy

Where you at in MT. have hunted lopes there 5 times in the last 12 years.

Got this guy last year good bases and diggers but they always seem to die at the top got 1 pt this year for MT. but I got 10 in Utah so I'm thinking UT. next year even though the wife and I love MT plus great birds and waterfowl, can't beat the BMA.

1Shirt
08-27-2012, 08:24 PM
Decent looking goat!
1Shirt!

429421Cowboy
08-27-2012, 08:52 PM
I am in central Montana, we hunt antelope near Cascade usually! Where did you get him at? There isn't an animal that i'd rather hunt than Mr. Pronghorn! That is a nice buck, lately i have gotten more interested in eating them than how big they are though:smile: Where we hunt they are on BMA land usually, which happens to be farmland so they are as mild and tender as a beef calf. I do appreciate the opportunity to go anywhere in the state and find a place to hunt with the Block Management acres, we hunt elk near Billings on Block Managment.