PDA

View Full Version : bevel base burrs?

autopilotmp
08-26-2012, 11:16 AM
I have a Lee 356-120-TC 2cav that has some burrs and uneven spots around the bevel base. I am sure this could effect the accuracy and was just wondering what kind of solutions are out there for this. I would like to do this myself w/o spending a bunch of money on the process, it is a lee mold after all. Any help here is much appreciated.

popper
08-26-2012, 02:52 PM
I think most Lee have a very small BB, I removed it on my 175 40SWC mould, using emery paper on a wood dowel. Makes it a FB with a larger rear drive band. I removed a chunk of rear drive band on 40SW and got a 2" error @ 25 yds. So I think minor imperfections really don't matter, within the capability of my shooting. Your results may be different.

David2011
08-26-2012, 03:16 PM
Think about what a tiny portion of the weight of the boolit the burrs account for. Yes, they will detract from the best possible accuracy but with a 9mm 120 gr boolit how far do you intend to shoot? What is the purpose of the boolit? If it's for tin can shooting they're probably good enough. For Bullseye matches, maybe not. Let us know what your use and expectations are for this boolit.

David

autopilotmp
08-26-2012, 08:48 PM
wifes gun, plinking ammo. I might let it tag along to a USPSA match. Other than that nothing too demanding. Think I will just forget about it and continue to cast with it as is.

Taylor
08-28-2012, 07:07 PM
I have the same mould,does the same thing.I have found that if I fill the rear cavity first,the front burr is not so bad.BTW it only does it on the front cavity.After the mould gets hot,it stops all together.Been thinking of replacing it because I don't like the burr.But like autopilotmp these are for the wife's plinking gun.

captaint
08-28-2012, 08:40 PM
I have that some mold and get the same thing..I don't worry about it at all, unless I'm putting plain base gas checks on. Then I just rub the burr on a piece of sandpaper and knock it off that way. Doesn't seem to matter either way. I've shot them out to 50 yards and can't tell any diff. enjoy Mike