PDA

View Full Version : old Lyman autoscale problem

abunaitoo
08-25-2012, 07:48 PM
I finallygot a Lyman autoscale. Always thought it was the simplest auto powder measurer made.
It works but I'm haveing a problem with the fast tube feeding to fast.
Didn't have any instructions with it, but it's so simple, not much to go wrong.
Lyman is no help.

Anyone still use one of these?????
Anyone have a instruction sheet for it?????

Those who work on electronics might be able to help.
How would I slow down an small AC motor????
Could I install a reostat(?) in line and use it to vary the speed?????

abunaitoo
08-25-2012, 07:54 PM
Found a picture of the scale.
Posted in case some have not seen one before.

Gliden07
08-25-2012, 11:29 PM
If you use a reostat make sure you use a MOTOR CONTROL not a dimmer control! Dimmer controls cut voltage to the item installed after the dimmer. Motor controls do not lower the voltage to the item after the "Motor control". If you use a dimmer on a motor you could burn the motor out by starving it for voltage.

BoolitSchuuter
08-29-2012, 09:03 AM
unless you plan on doing internal mods, you can't use any kind of voltage or freq control externally due to the internal electronics.

abunaitoo
08-29-2012, 07:35 PM
I was thinking of installing a reostat in line to the motor.
I'm not sure if it would work.
After looking at it closer, I noticed that the power transformer in 120v/ac to 9v/dc.

Gliden07
08-30-2012, 10:09 PM
I was thinking of installing a reostat in line to the motor.
I'm not sure if it would work.
After looking at it closer, I noticed that the power transformer in 120v/ac to 9v/dc.

If thats the case you should be able to use a variable resistor. Nice thing about DC motors is you can drop the voltage to alter RPM on a DC motor. Kinda like the speed controls on the model race car sets Tyco and the like sell. You cant drop the voltage on an AC motor more than 10% or you risk damaging the motor or the control. Another thing check the motor a lot of times they will list the voltage and weather its AC/DC along with the RPM.

Hip's Ax
09-01-2012, 03:02 PM
abunaitoo, I have had one of these for years and I adore it. What exactly is happening that makes you want to slow down the feed motor?

abunaitoo
09-03-2012, 04:08 AM
To me, the fast tube feeding to fast.
So fast that it will not stop soon enough to let the slow tube take over.
The powder charge goes way past the full mark befor it stops feeding.
The way I see it, the fast tube is feeding to fast.
My thinking is that if I can slow down the fast tube, it will feed slow enough so that the slow tube has time to take over.
Dose it make sence????

Czech_too
09-03-2012, 05:11 AM
I picked up one of these a few years ago and really like it. I think mine is an early model though, it's not by Lyman. Maybe they bought someone else's design?

Back on topic, it didn't come with an instruction sheet but I may have found one on-line. I'd have to check to be sure. The plastic knobbed screw on the top controls the feed, if that helps.

Brian

Hip's Ax
09-03-2012, 06:27 AM
The knob on the top with the arrows marked "F" and "S" controls when the fast tube shuts down. I keep an eye on my auto scale as I want the fast feed tube to shut down with plenty of time for the slow tube to trickle the last bit slowly.

Sounds like you need to turn your knob in the "S" direction. I usually turn it at least a quarter turn, sometimes half for when I'm loading and the measure flow rate has changed.

abunaitoo
09-03-2012, 07:59 PM
I tried turning the knob max in both directions. Went from bad to worse.
Must be something wrong with my machine.

Hip's Ax
09-03-2012, 08:14 PM
What powder are you using in it? I've found some powders "flood" out of the drop tubes. I only use mine with fairly rough powder like 4350 and 4064. Varget seems ok too.

abunaitoo
09-04-2012, 06:26 AM
I'm trying to use it with IMR4350.
If I move the pan slowly, the fast tube stops and the slow tube keeps on going.
Problem is the fast tube feed so fast, by the time it stops, the weight is way over where I set it.

Hip's Ax
09-04-2012, 10:20 AM
OK, I use H4350 and IMR4350 in mine and it works great. If turning the speed control knob in the S direction a quarter or a half turn at a time yields no results then I can't think of anything else.

abunaitoo
09-06-2012, 02:41 AM
From the looks of it, the speed control dosen't really control the speed.
What it looks like it does, is adjust when the fast tube stops.
Took the top cover off to see what's going on inside.
Very simple. Just the way I like things.

Hip's Ax
09-06-2012, 06:30 AM
Yes Sir, you are correct. The F-S knob merely sets where the fast feed tube shuts off and I keep an eye on mine so that the fast tube shuts off when there is still plenty of travel to go in the beam so the slow tube can finish the drop by itself.

deltaenterprizes
09-08-2012, 03:24 PM
AMT was the original designer and manufacturer, I have one of the originals.