PDA

View Full Version : "Well known problem" that I didn't know

Wayne Smith
08-25-2012, 07:28 PM
My computer quit on me last nite. Closed the cover, automatically putting it into hibernation, and it wouldn't re-start. Took it in to my computer store this afternoon, checked the battery, if the cord etc. was providing adequate powder, and I mentioned the hibernation issue.

He pulled the battery, the plug, and held down the power switch for a minute or two. Plugged it in and it has worked since. He said a well known software glitch in the hibernation program. Holding down the power switch with no power supply exhausts anything that stores power in the computer. This wipes out any memory of the glitch.

Who knew?

Bent Ramrod
08-25-2012, 10:47 PM
Kinks like that never show up on the "Frequently Asked Questions" list that is On-Line.

Neither does the answer to my most Frequently Asked Question, i.e., "Why doesn't this &%##$@!! thing work?"

imashooter2
08-25-2012, 11:17 PM
The same hold down the power switch trick will usually work without removing the battery or the power cord. About ten seconds will cause the laptop to reboot, battery or no...

fryboy
08-25-2012, 11:23 PM
it clears the ram , it also clears the lil residual charge inside the inner lil battery ( something to keep in mind and do if you ever open one up to change hard drives,memory or even add a dvd-rw to a desk top )

waksupi
08-26-2012, 12:46 AM
Kim Kommando's site is always a good one to rummage around on for electronics answers.

41 mag fan
08-26-2012, 09:20 AM
Dell showed me this trick several yrs ago on our old laptop. It worked, but I usually had to do it several tiumes each yr.
Unfortunatley while this solved the problem, we literally had nothing but trouble with our dell on the software part.
3 Dells in a 10 yr period, I'll never own another Dell again.

nicholst55
08-26-2012, 11:58 AM
Dell showed me this trick several yrs ago on our old laptop. It worked, but I usually had to do it several tiumes each yr.
Unfortunatley while this solved the problem, we literally had nothing but trouble with our dell on the software part.
3 Dells in a 10 yr period, I'll never own another Dell again.

But Dell is all that the Army (at least, if not the entire USG) will buy. Kind of sad, really.