PDA

View Full Version : Help with an older 336A in 32 WS

msp2640
08-25-2012, 05:41 PM
Gents - I was in a buddy's shop on other business and on the rack was a recent consignment...a 1949 vintage by the serial number Marlin 336A in 32 Win Spl. The shop owner has no idea what to ask/ the older gent (friend of the owner) has no idea what to ask, so its sits calling out to a new owner. First - I did not check the bore condition. The good - it's looks like the originial bluing and wood and it's in very good shape. The bad - ventilated recoil pad added, it doesn't look like the stock was cut. The stock looks like it's covered in polyurethane. The top of the receiver has been drilled and tapped and an older Simmons low power scope added in Weaver mounts. QD sling studs were added, but the one on the forend nose cap looks to be striped out. I really, really don't need another rifle, but if the price is right I wouldn't mind cleaning up the stock, maybe putting on an older reciever sight and swapping back to a Marlin buttplate. I've never shot a 32 WS and am not set up to load for it, but the rifle intrigues me...so any comments/ opinions/ help would be greatly appreciated. A realistic current market value would help, as all of the ones I checked were a few years out of date - Thanks to all - Bill L

Adk Mike
08-25-2012, 07:22 PM
I've got a friends Winchester in 32 sp he asked me to get it shooting. I still need some cases. I found a few in the shop and loaded it up with a cast bullet and 8 grains of Unique. I plan on shooting it tomorrow. With the one turn in sixteen rifling I'm thinking it will shoot cast well.

izzyjoe
08-25-2012, 08:22 PM
without seeing it, i would say somewhere's about $300- 400ish. 32WS is kind of an oddball, don't get me wrong they are good shooting rifles. that one sound's like bubba got ahold of it. i would look it over real good fore i'd buy it, but it should make you a good rifle, if you need a good one! :)

MtGun44
08-25-2012, 09:02 PM
Bore condition is EVERYTHING. Check that after cleaning it, BEFORE buying it.

I'd offer $200 if they won't let you clean it first.

Bill

Suo Gan
08-25-2012, 11:30 PM
If my opinion is worth anything at all, I would say under the conditions you describe the rifle worth $175 or so OTD. That is a fair price for it. If it were pristine, it would fetch upwards of $600 on a good day. But that is neither here nor there.

rintinglen
08-26-2012, 10:55 AM
As a shooter, not as a collector, If that has the 24 inch barrel and if the bore is nice, I'd go 300 tops. The 32 WS can be a real dinger with cast boolits, but suitable molds are rare and costly. Brass on the other hand, is dirt cheap. 30-30's turn into 32ws with one pass through the sizing die. If it is a regular 20 inch carbine, then I'd go 200 tops.

sundog
08-26-2012, 11:11 AM
Offer 2 hunert andgo from there. If you get it reasonable, order a Ranch Dog mould for it. 32 Win Spl is just about the IDEAL cast boolit launcher as far as lever guns go.

6pt-sika
08-26-2012, 06:04 PM
The price is what it's worth to YOU .

Personally I think you're okay up to maybe $375 to possibly 400 . Well that is if the inside the barrel looks okay .

As to bullets I've had great success with the RCBS 32-170GC , the Lyman 321297 (if you can find one) and last and certainly not least the Ranch Dog 323-170GC .

I was fortunate enough to get in on the Ranch Dog test molds for this bullet . And while some of the others had difficulties with it , it did nicely in a circa 1951 336SC I had as well as a Marlin 1936 and a Winchester Pre 64 Model 94 all in 32 Special .

I shot a fair amount of silhouettes with the 336SC using the RD bullets and a good many more using the RCBS 32-170GC . Also killed a few deer with the RCBS bullet .

Incidently once at Ridgeway PA for John Kort's "Lever Action Silver Jubilee Shoot" I used the afore mentioned Marlin 1936 with the RCBS bullet to shoot the chickens at 200 meters and the afore mentioned 336SC to shoot the turkeys at 385 meters . Had a tang sight on the 1936 and a Lyman peep on the 336SC . I cannot say I hit them all but I did hit some !

msp2640
08-26-2012, 08:48 PM
Gents - I appreciate the response, I'm torn over this one. I think in reality I'd prefer to "rehab" it back to what it should be rather that the way it is now - The glossy stock and ugly recoil pad are almost offensive to me, yet the bluing and wood are so nice considering its age. I don't need another reloading/ casting rifle, as I already have more than enough to keep me happy - I did ask the shop owner to speak to the rifle owner about an asking price - I'll keep you posted - Thanks to all - Bill in MA

northmn
08-27-2012, 07:21 PM
I paid $450 for a similar Marlin in 35 Remington and a 24" barrel and I feel it was worth it. The rifle came drilled and tapped for a scope and with a hard case. If the bore is in good condition, (mine was like new) you have a gem with an older Marlin, especially for cast bullets. The draw back is that getting set up to laod a new caliber is spendy. I figure if you buy dies, sizers and molds, and get brass you are out about $200, depending. I just looked at a new Marlin in 44 mag at $600.00

DP