PDA

View Full Version : H&R Starter Pistol

sparky45
08-25-2012, 02:25 PM
Just a quick question: Can I (as a non-FFL) sell and ship a blank starter pistol to a person in a state other than where I live, or within the state where I live? OR, does this qualify as a firearm, pistol, gun that has to be registered?
Thanks;

Sparky45

That's possibly two questions, my bad.

Wayne Smith
08-25-2012, 03:47 PM
I believe that a firearm must propel something by a chemical charge. In this case there is nothing being propelled. You will find it in the "Definitions" section of any firearms law, especially your state laws.

sparky45
08-26-2012, 10:53 AM
Here's what bothers me: USPS Regs. "c. Firearm means any device, including a starter gun, designed to, or that may readily be converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosion, spring, or other mechanical action, or air or gas pressure with enough force to be used as a weapon."
So I conclude from this USPS Reg. that shipping a starter pistol(at least through USPS) is a non-starter(pun intended). I guess it would depend on what the definition of "readily be converted to" means.
I'll try UPS and FEDX as well.
Thanks
Sparky45

shaune509
08-26-2012, 08:11 PM
I beleave a starter pistol as defined by ATF is a non gun, but some locals list it as a gun.
I do know that a starter pistol will get you in hot water by TSA regs for planes and airports, so there is no one answer.
Shaune509