PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Super Redhawk 454 Casull

evil5826
08-25-2012, 01:07 PM
Ok my buddies super redhawk isn't fully activating primers. Some shots take two tries for the primer to go off.

Im thinking its either the firing pin or the pin return spring. I have checked out alot of vids but none actually show how to change those two items out.

Any one else have the same issues? I have checked out a few forums and it seems to be a ruger 454 casull issue due to the rifle primers being a little bit more tough dent.

Any one got any tips be sides filing metal down. Not comfortable with that.

Ruger Super Redhawk
CCI #450 Magnum small rifle primers
CCI #400 small rifle primers

RobS
08-25-2012, 02:47 PM
The main spring could very well be the problem; I would replace it and see what happens.

Freightman
08-25-2012, 03:41 PM
Did he buy it new? or if he bought it used a lot of people do a trigger job on everything.

happy7
08-25-2012, 03:45 PM
I have the same problem with a gun I got used. I called up ruger and sent it back to them. They looked at it and said they found a black sand around the primer pin. But the fact is, now that I have it back, it still doesn't work. It works fine the the softer pistol primers in 45 colt, but will not reliably fire the small rifle primers.

I was using CCI primers and they are supposed to be the hardest. I was going to switch brands but never got around to it.

TCLouis
08-25-2012, 05:33 PM
Softer spring from a spring kit?

I put the weakest spring in a Wolfe kit and mine worked fine in the heat o summer and not at all in the cold of winter.

Crud in the channel for the firing pin?

evil5826
08-26-2012, 01:36 AM
Did he buy it new? or if he bought it used a lot of people do a trigger job on everything.

Bought it used but I doubt this guy did a trigger job. Barely knew how to install the scope when we picked it up. Ill check out the springs. Stock spring should be 15 pounds from what i been seeing for the hammer main spring. I'd like to figure out how to take out the firing pin and clean it. Maybe replace the spring.

danski26
08-26-2012, 08:55 PM
1. Before you do a lot of work on the pistol try Federal primers.

2. If you still have missfires do a good internal cleaning.

3. If you still have misfires then I would replace the mainspring with a factory weight spring. I think it is heavier than 15 Lbs but I would have to look to be sure.

4. Still having misfires look at the firing pin. Check protrusion and replace with an extra length pin if needed.

5. The next step is starting with metal removal, wich you said you are not comfortable with. So then it might be gunsmith or factory time.

RobS
08-26-2012, 09:35 PM
Ruger SRH mainspring is 15 lbs from the factory and it will lighten considerably in a year or two's time.

paul h
08-27-2012, 06:16 PM
Could be a lighter aftermarket spring was installed. I got a wolf spring kit for my srh 480 and found that with the lighter spring I'd get the occasional failure to fire. Needless to say the lighter spring was immediately replaced with the factory spring, and no more problems.

bigdog454
08-28-2012, 02:37 PM
Had lots of misfires and hangfires when I first got my RH 454. I switched to Win Small rifle primers and the problem disappeared. I will only use Win SR primers in my 454 C.
BD