PDA

View Full Version : Ted Williams model 100

wallenba
08-25-2012, 10:55 AM
I got this recent purchase, a model 100 Win 94 clone, out to the range monday. I had 50 rounds of 30-30 cb's, 24.5 grains of IMR 3031 under C309-150-F's. My results were pretty dismal, all over the map. The gun cold shot at least a foot higher and 6 inches right from where it does warmed up. My first foray with this powder, going to try my trusted SR-4759 next.

Now, what really is bothering me is something I kept hearing after firing. It sounded a little like metal ringing, like a tuning fork or something. I also had quite a headache that evening too. There were no obvious pressure signs, cases ejected easily and looked normal. Is there a name for this phenomena, and a cause? I looked the gun over well everything is fastened tightly.:?:

izzyjoe
08-25-2012, 08:41 PM
that is strange, i had a 30-30 marlin that did'nt shoot the lee 170gr. boolits worth a hoot, i tried different powder's. but it never worked out for me, now that rifle will shoot j-bullet's like a lazer. that one always baffled me!

wallenba
08-25-2012, 08:53 PM
that is strange, i had a 30-30 marlin that did'nt shoot the lee 170gr. boolits worth a hoot, i tried different powder's. but it never worked out for me, now that rifle will shoot j-bullet's like a lazer. that one always baffled me!

In your case it might be the micro-groove rifling Marlin uses. My Sears Roebuck 100 was made by Winchester for Sears and has regular rifling. This one will no doubt be a challenge to figure out. Once I do, I'll feel a sense of accomplishment. With me, it usually is the hunt, not the kill.

MtGun44
08-25-2012, 09:00 PM
What diameter are you using?

Bill

izzyjoe
08-25-2012, 09:11 PM
i have several other micro groove's that shoot good with cast, but that one flat refused. i tried 309, 310, 311, but nada.

wallenba
08-25-2012, 11:42 PM
What diameter are you using?

Bill

Sized at .310, my barrel slugged .309. A good chance I need to go bigger.

runfiverun
08-26-2012, 01:02 AM
hmmm bbl's have sinewaves that travell up and down them when they are fired.
the ringing would concern me untill i got it figured out.
something is vibrating causing the pitch.

my 30-30 [mdl-94] load is the rcbs 150 fngc with 24,5 grs of aa-2230 sized to 310 with a 3005 nose for light engraving of the lands.
i usually shoot the plate racks [stands] 2" high by 3-4" wide] at 75 yds as i get tired of putting the plates back up.

bruce drake
08-26-2012, 01:46 AM
I own your twin. A Sears Model 100 Ted Williams model in 30-30. Mine HATES the 170gr FN from LEE. But absolutely loves the Ideal 311291 RN 170gr as well as the LEE 150gr FN. All are sized to .310 for my .308 bore. Its really weird that it doesn't care for the 170gr FN versus the 170gr Ideal RN mold. The OAL is different between the two and perhaps the issue, but the 150gr LEE FN is shorter than the 170gr FN and loads and shoots wonderfully as well as the 311291.

I'd recommend switching to the Ideal 311291-170gr mold. Its about usually $50 bucks on E-bay so its worth trying.

Bruce

Salmoneye
08-26-2012, 08:19 AM
May I ask where you got your 24.5gr load data?

I am not finding anything remotely that light for IMR-3031, in cast or jacketed...

The lightest load I have found is 26.5gr for a Hornady 150gr jacketed...

ADDING:

WOW!

Just found a listing for a 155gr cast in Lyman#44 with a start of 20gr, and max of 33.5gr???

I am NOT condoning either extreme, and am just pointing out that there were indeed 'published' loads that I had never thought possible (prudent?) with 3031...

wallenba
08-26-2012, 08:56 AM
May I ask where you got your 24.5gr load data?

I am not finding anything remotely that light for IMR-3031, in cast or jacketed...

The lightest load I have found is 26.5gr for a Hornady 150gr jacketed...

ADDING:

WOW!

Just found a listing for a 155gr cast in Lyman#44 with a start of 20gr, and max of 33.5gr???

I am NOT condoning either extreme, and am just pointing out that there were indeed 'published' loads that I had never thought possible (prudent?) with 3031...

Load is listed in the Lyman 4th edition Cast bullet handbook, page 143. A minimum of 21.8 to a maximum of 29.7. IMR-3031 is new to me, I thought I'd try it, as it is listed there for a lot of what I load.

wallenba
08-26-2012, 09:17 AM
[QUOTE=runfiverun;1824350]hmmm bbl's have sinewaves that travell up and down them when they are fired.
the ringing would concern me untill i got it figured out.
something is vibrating causing the pitch.

What I was thinking too. Anytime a metal object 'sympathizes' with a frequency, it can become destuctive over time. Switching back to SR-4759 is safer than wasting time on the 3031 looking for it I think.

OverMax
08-26-2012, 10:31 AM
I always have considered the 30-30 as one of those finicky calibers in which it has its likes and dislikes. Not many folks would say that about their venerable 30-30. Mine sure gave me quite a few disappointments in trying to get it targeted decently. I burned a few different powders experimenting before coming to a recipe that worked for me. It isn't the fastest load you'll read about. But at the 100 yard (this loading recipe) its performance stands out. (Well out of my Pre 64 94 that is.)

Accurate -2230-27.5-grs. Should see a nice little grouping with either a G/C 170 or a jacketed flat point in 170 weights. (all but the Speer J-170 bullet. For some weird reason it didn't shoot well.) Good Luck with your quest

btroj
08-26-2012, 10:34 AM
I can hear a twang in all of my lMrlin lever actions almost every time I fire them. I think it is the hammer spring.
Shoot a lower recoiling load and it becomes quite noticeable.

Can you hear the sound when you dry fire with the gun in your shoulder. Even a similar sound?

Salmoneye
08-26-2012, 12:58 PM
I can hear a twang in all of my lMrlin lever actions almost every time I fire them. I think it is the hammer spring.
Shoot a lower recoiling load and it becomes quite noticeable.

Can you hear the sound when you dry fire with the gun in your shoulder. Even a similar sound?

Huh...

Never occurred to me before, but I noticed a distinct 'TING!' when shooting some light .44 loads in my 1894S just this past week...

It was indeed the hammer falling once I paid attention...

btroj
08-26-2012, 01:06 PM
I can really notice it with 3.5 Trailboss and a 120 gr cast in my 32-20. With a velocity of only 775 fps it is quiet! I can easily hear the "tink" of an impact on a steel plate at 100 yards.

The sound of the hammer spring is quite distinctive on a Marlin lever action.

Baron von Trollwhack
08-26-2012, 07:48 PM
I got this recent purchase, a model 100 Win 94 clone, out to the range monday. I had 50 rounds of 30-30 cb's, 24.5 grains of IMR 3031 under C309-150-F's. My results were pretty dismal, all over the map. The gun cold shot at least a foot higher and 6 inches right from where it does warmed up. My first foray with this powder, going to try my trusted SR-4759 next.

Now, what really is bothering me is something I kept hearing after firing. It sounded a little like metal ringing, like a tuning fork or something. I also had quite a headache that evening too. There were no obvious pressure signs, cases ejected easily and looked normal. Is there a name for this phenomena, and a cause? I looked the gun over well everything is fastened tightly.:?:

With respect to the M-100 Ted Williams retailed M-94, I posted my results here some three years back of great results shooting my TW with the Lyman 31141 where I achieved groups running 1 1/2- 2" @ 100 yards using a load of Varget. I ran a series of loads from 20 to 32 grains of powder over the 9 1/2 Remington primer using my cast bullets @ .310 diameter. My best accuracy was just short of 32 grains with my 182 grain bullets. Guessing at velocity I'm figuring 1950-2000 fps. My rifle has the original rear sight, and a Ukranian copy of a Beech windage adjustable front sight installed, and I shot off of sandbags on a concrete bench. The chamber appears to be perfect.

It was neccessary to anneal the all winchester cases, after first firing in the gun,trim to max length, only partially neck size as deep as the boolit was seated, and seat the boolits out as far as possible while keeping cartridges functional in feeding from the mag and into the chamber. I also used a Lee FCD. The boolits were tumble lubed lightly with LLA. I used a lyman M die after necksizing with just enough case mouth opening to seat the boolit's GC. before seating. Additionally a Lyman tang sight is installed and set for 150 yards.

BvT

wallenba
08-28-2012, 10:30 AM
I just discovered something last night. I recieved a set of Williams Firesights I ordered and began installing them. First thing I noticed, (and missed when I was looking the rifle over), was the front sight ramp would roll around the barrel if pushed sideways. The dovetail nut used under the Williams shorty ramp was not tight. After drifting the insert out and unscrewing the ramp, the nut showed signs of being filed down, and slid back and forth too freely. Got new part ordered.
Could be the ringing I heard, definately did not help with accuracy.

Sig556r
01-16-2019, 10:49 AM
With respect to the M-100 Ted Williams retailed M-94, I posted my results here some three years back of great results shooting my TW with the Lyman 31141 where I achieved groups running 1 1/2- 2" @ 100 yards using a load of Varget. I ran a series of loads from 20 to 32 grains of powder over the 9 1/2 Remington primer using my cast bullets @ .310 diameter. My best accuracy was just short of 32 grains with my 182 grain bullets. Guessing at velocity I'm figuring 1950-2000 fps. My rifle has the original rear sight, and a Ukranian copy of a Beech windage adjustable front sight installed, and I shot off of sandbags on a concrete bench. The chamber appears to be perfect.

It was neccessary to anneal the all winchester cases, after first firing in the gun,trim to max length, only partially neck size as deep as the boolit was seated, and seat the boolits out as far as possible while keeping cartridges functional in feeding from the mag and into the chamber. I also used a Lee FCD. The boolits were tumble lubed lightly with LLA. I used a lyman M die after necksizing with just enough case mouth opening to seat the boolit's GC. before seating. Additionally a Lyman tang sight is installed and set for 150 yards.

BvT

Good info, will emulate on my TW100