PDA

View Full Version : ranchdog 311 165 rn ?

mac1911
08-25-2012, 09:15 AM
Anyone have experience with this mold. I purchased one to cast for my o3a3 and a few sizers as I have a few other rifles with different size requirements.

QUESTION: What have been the average sizes you been dropping right from the mold. Ranchdogs web sight says tolerances to be .000-.003+ depending on alloy of course. I hope its on the larger side to drop bullets for my mosin as well which needs a .314 bullet.

I hope it covers all my rifles. I hate to spend another 50+ on another mold for the mosin nagant. Im looking for accuracy that falls into minute of SR1 black scoreing area.
My o3a3 will be the one to work up acurate loads.

thank you

HiVelocity
08-25-2012, 03:36 PM
Mac1911-

Mine are dropping at .3115. I, like you, will load these for my 03 Sporter also.

If the mold is dropping bullets smaller than you prefer, just "beagle" it open another 3-4 thousanths. There are tons of posts on exactly "how to" perform this on your mold on this forum. And, although its opened up to .315 or so, you will be sizing them down to .310 to fit your other rifles with a smaller bore requirement.

Just food for thought,

HV

mac1911
08-27-2012, 07:07 AM
Thank you for the info. I decided to just get the Lyman 314299 for the mosin.and resize as needed.
my mold should be here soon. I will give a up date end of week.

Ranchdog was very fast on shipping even though I screwed up my order. If I didn't mess up ordering I would be casting already.

I did beagle a mold already by just placeing a piece of tin foil along the edges. It worked well but after a while it keeps falling out.
I been looking for the thin adhesive back stock mentioned in the sticky. Hardware stores in my area are not well stocked.

bootsnthejeep
08-27-2012, 08:12 AM
Where are you located, Mac? I had to buy a whole roll of the stuff, and about a foot of it would be several lifetime supplies for me. A small chunk would fit in an envelope nicely.