PDA

View Full Version : Sic 'em!!

Jim
08-25-2012, 03:42 AM
0250 HRS-

Jones, my ol' buddy of twelve years, woke me up just a bit ago with a very urgent whining. It's not like him to do that. Once he parks, he's pretty much settled for the night.

I got up to let him out and found Dolly, my Walker Hound, Gretchen, the Shepherd, and 'Sir Patrick', our Scotty, pacing to and fro and all very wired up. I opened the front door and let 'em out.

The whole pack hit the ground and did a rumrunner's turn at the bottom of the steps. Jones and Patrick went under one end of the steps and Dolly and Gretchen went under the other end. Somethin's up, this ain't no pee-pee run.

In a nanosecond, all h311 broke loose. Dolly went into a bay, Patrick let out one quick, sharp bark and a bar fight broke out. Under the steps! I broke for the gun room.

I came back with a Mag Lite and my stainless Single Six with the CCI Blazers in it. We goin' huntin'! I opened the front door with the flashlight in my right hand and the Single Six in my left, thumb across the hammer. Too late.

All four dogs were standin' in a circle in the front yard lookin' at me like "Where you been?" The main attraction in the circle was a dead 'possum. Bein' cornered by a pair of tag teams, he never had a snow ball's chance in a brick oven.

I flung the carcass over the fence, brought everybody back inside for a treat and praised everybody very highly. Jones was struttin' around like "Daddy, I KNEW there was somethin' out there!" Dolly went tearin' in the bedroom and jumped on the bed with Janet to brag.

"Momma, I killed a 'possum!!"

1Shirt
08-25-2012, 10:49 AM
Good dogs Jim!!!! Keepers!
1Shirt!

waksupi
08-25-2012, 10:54 AM
Good thing it wasn't a skunk!

OBIII
08-25-2012, 10:59 AM
Yeah, Jim, you got lucky on that one. Could have been skunk, porcupine, badger. Let's be thankful it was something they could handle easily. Tell Janet to go back to sleep, watch dog's on alert and all that.
OB

wallenba
08-25-2012, 11:03 AM
Any way to cook those critters up Jim? At least for a dog food reward. I've heard people do eat them. Uncle Jed, granny and Jethro anyway. I've always got food on the brain...

mold maker
08-25-2012, 11:28 AM
During the depression, my Grandmother said she cooked worse than that. If it was crawling or flying it was fair game for the pot.
Granddad was a barber and took chickens or fresh meat as payment. He even took promises from those he knew to be as good as their word. It was hard for them to garden and raise enough for the 7 of them "in town".
On several occasions (in the 40s) I looked over the edge of a barrel, at the grin of a possum, that would be fed sweet potatoes and skim milk to "clean it out". Although I never was around when it was served, I'm sure it tasted better than it looked.

Trey45
08-25-2012, 12:27 PM
Good dogs let you know when there's intruders around. Great dogs eat them.

WILCO
08-25-2012, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the report Jim! Well written. Felt like I was right there with ya. :)

popper
08-25-2012, 01:47 PM
My Schnauzer only barked at cans being thrown into the ally. He also liked to dig holes in the green carpet and pee on legs. He passed of natural causes @ 16 yrs. Now my 20+ pound Siamese could leap a chain link fence in a single bound and took a chunk out of several legs (not mine). He never tore up furniture or 'went' outside his box in 15 yrs.

Crawdaddy
08-25-2012, 02:24 PM
Way to go!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jim
08-25-2012, 05:35 PM
Here's the whole crew. Left to right: Patrick, Jones, Dolly & Gretchen

http://floydpics.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/p101000221-e1345930876143.jpg

Bad Water Bill
08-25-2012, 05:43 PM
Looks like she is exhausted.

Have you checked your mail?

oneokie
08-25-2012, 05:46 PM
Hey, Jim, who's baby cradle is that on the right?

Jim
08-25-2012, 05:48 PM
Janet bought that at an estate sale. She thought it was cute.

oneokie
08-25-2012, 05:52 PM
Ok, just askin'.

Wayne Smith
08-25-2012, 07:42 PM
I grew up with a small German Shepard that would kill a coon all by himself. Saw him do it once, know of at least two others he killed. Very unusual dog.

You got a great crew, Jim.

JeffinNZ
08-26-2012, 06:10 AM
Well, it's lucky they are good looking bunch cos' I wouldn't appreciate being woken at that time for a possum. Kinda reminds me of when Griffin the cat liberated a live rat in our house at a similar time. That was about as well received as a pork chop in a synagogue.

Firebricker
08-26-2012, 02:22 PM
Jim a man just can't have too many "best friends" LOL When a dog gets a possum or critter their as proud as if one of us took a record book buck with a cast boolit and rightfully so. FB

Jim
08-26-2012, 03:06 PM
Oh, they all got highly praised and a treat! At 3 O'clock in the mornin'!

Dolly thought that was slicker'n snot on a door knob. "Go huntin' in the front yard at 3 in th' mornin' and then get a treat on top o' THAT? Like Daddy says, we squattin' in high cotton!"

Blacksmith
08-27-2012, 12:35 AM
Jim

Next time the dogs act up at 3 AM stop in the gun room first then open the door. It could have been a two legged critter.

Jim
08-27-2012, 12:43 AM
If it was a two legged critter, Gretchen would have been drawin' blood before I coulda' got a bead on 'im. She's a 90 lb. Shepherd that lives only to eat somebody. Besides, very few people even know there's a house up on this ridge. We've been here almost three years and have NEVER had anybody wander up here.