PDA

View Full Version : Seating so a lube groove is exposed?

Michael J. Spangler
08-24-2012, 07:44 PM
ok so i've seen a lot of boolits loaded so that there is a lube groove with lube, outside of the finished case
what would be the purpose to this?

i imagine a long boolit seated to a "normal" length might sit deep in a bottlenecked case and leave a lot of the boolit exposed to the hot gasses and possible damage?
so one would seat it to a longer length so that the base of the boolit and sides are protected by the case neck?:?

am i way off here? just curious. i've seen it a lot and wondered what the purpose was. thanks!

paul h
08-24-2012, 07:49 PM
Typically the best accuracy is attained when a bullet is seated so that it is as close to the rifling as possible. Depending on the bullet design, the might result in a lube groove or two being seated out of the case. One could either adjust their lube technique to keep lube out of those grooves, or lube them and have them sit proud of the case.

It even happens with handgun rounds on occasion.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/evefiles/photo_albums/3/4/4/344100033/844100033_4F457815F3FED409FA5A9BDDBFE64661.JPG

In this case the bullet on the left is so long that if I seated it to the canalure the gas check would swell out the case as it was seated far enough back to get into the thicker part of the brass. The cylinder was long enough to allow the long loaded bullet.

Blammer
08-24-2012, 08:41 PM
personally, I don't care if the lube is exposed on the boolit or not, I seat it to where it's just kissing the lands.

In this picture, the loverin has some of it's grooves lubed, I could lube less but accuracy or leading could be an issue. If it really bothered me I could try less lube so it is all in the case, but it doesn't and I get good accuracy and no leading.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Cast%20boolits%20fun/DSCN7989.jpg

44man
08-25-2012, 08:56 AM
The reason was explained very well. It does no harm at all if you just keep ammo clean. You don't throw a bunch in your pockets, use an ammo wallet when hunting.

1Shirt
08-25-2012, 09:58 AM
Exactly as 44 Man says! Besides, it looks sort of cool, (particularly with red or blue lube) on a Loverin, or RD style boolit!
1Shirt!

Michael J. Spangler
08-25-2012, 10:05 AM
sweet!

i have not done much for cast boolit shooting other than some 45-70 and tons of .45 cap

i guess i'm going to learn more when i get in the .308 boolits and hopefully sign up for the 311365 mold!

thanks guys! i just figured the base so deep in the case could have some detrimental effect with all that lube and lead exposed to hot gasses in the big .30 cals

Char-Gar
08-25-2012, 10:37 AM
You are thinking about issues that all of us have pondered over, at one time or another. In the best of worlds;

1. The bullets is seated out to just kill the lands, and
2 The base of the bullet does not protrude below the case neck, and
3. All of the lube grooves are contained within the neck.

Many times, our world is not perfect and something has to be sacrificed to gain something else. Of the three, having a lube groove sticking out of the case is the least important..IF.. as other say your don't allow grit and dirt toget into the lube.

I shoots lots of Loverin style bullets and have found, I don't need to fill all of the grooves with lube. Usually, just the ones in the case neck will do just fine.

Larry Gibson
08-25-2012, 12:01 PM
You are thinking about issues that all of us have pondered over, at one time or another. In the best of worlds;

1. The bullets is seated out to just kill the lands, and
2 The base of the bullet does not protrude below the case neck, and
3. All of the lube grooves are contained within the neck.

Many times, our world is not perfect and something has to be sacrificed to gain something else. Of the three, having a lube groove sticking out of the case is the least important..IF.. as other say your don't allow grit and dirt to get into the lube. I shoot lots of Loverin style bullets and have found, I don't need to fill all of the grooves with lube. Usually, just the ones in the case neck will do just fine.

+1.

For range, target and plinking I don't mind lube grooves showing, even with lube in them as they are in a cartridge box of some sort and are protected from dirt until loaded. I also shoot a lot of Lovern style cast bullets and most of them will have lube in the grooves exposed as I also strive to keep the GC, or the top of it anyway, inside the case neck. As Char does I also many times only lube enough grooves to do the job of no leading.

For field and hunting applications I will try to choose aand use a bullet that keeps all the lube grooves and the GC in the case neck. If you only have one mould for multiple cartridges that have short and long necks (300 Savage, .308W vs 30-30 and '06) then sometimes a compromise is necessary. I prefer the lube grooves outside the neck to the GC seated below the neck.

Larry Gibson

Hang Fire
08-25-2012, 12:07 PM
ok so i've seen a lot of boolits loaded so that there is a lube groove with lube, outside of the finished case
what would be the purpose to this?

i imagine a long boolit seated to a "normal" length might sit deep in a bottlenecked case and leave a lot of the boolit exposed to the hot gasses and possible damage?
so one would seat it to a longer length so that the base of the boolit and sides are protected by the case neck?:?

am i way off here? just curious. i've seen it a lot and wondered what the purpose was. thanks!

If one is shooting Loverin designed boolits, they have multiple lube grooves outside the case.

Char-Gar
08-25-2012, 12:14 PM
If one is shooting Loverin designed boolits, they have multiple lube grooves outside the case.

Yes, take a look at the top round in Blammer's pic (No. 3). That is a Loverin bullet, looks to be 311407.

Blammer
08-25-2012, 03:41 PM
Who is "killing" the lands? I prefer to Kiss them. :)

Char-Gar
08-25-2012, 03:48 PM
Mega typo...I wanted to kiss them also. I wonder what Freud would say about such a slip?

1Shirt
08-25-2012, 04:12 PM
Guess you would kill if ya slammed the boolit into the lands, and just kiss the lands would be barely touching. Have tried both ways just to see, and really found no difference in accuracy. Did notice a difference in pressure according to the primers on the "Kill" loads however. (for what ever that is worth)!
1Shirt!:coffee:

geargnasher
08-25-2012, 11:21 PM
Mega typo...I wanted to kiss them also. I wonder what Freud would say about such a slip?

He'd probably say that you most definetely do NOT have a fear of weapons, and you know what he had to say about those who do. :bigsmyl2:

Gear

Wayne Smith
08-26-2012, 09:05 AM

Your slip is showing! Freudian, that is.