PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Sizes Off

smokemjoe
08-24-2012, 06:15 PM
I have a SC custom made brass mold made by famous make that is no longer here anymore, 30 cal. When I size the bullet it shaves more off one side then the other, I have use 3 different sizing dies, top punchs and have one nose punch that floats also, What can I do, Thanks- Joe

Maven
08-24-2012, 06:55 PM
Joe, Will it fit your rifle without sizing? Was it an Eagan?

P.S. Hope you are well. You're often in my thoughts.

smokemjoe
08-24-2012, 07:25 PM
Maven : How you know it would be a Eagan, It cast at .313 and my new pac barrel likes it at .309- 310, Joe

Maven
08-24-2012, 07:42 PM
Just an educated guess, Joe, but this gave it away: "...a SC custom made brass mold made by famous make that is no longer here anymore, .30 cal."

RobS
08-24-2012, 11:11 PM
Boolits can do this on a RCBS, Lyman, Saeco etc. type lubricator because the boolit starts off center from the nose punch. Even a flat nose punch setup can give a person fits too if the boolit isn't started centered in the die and the pressure from above as the nose punch comes down doesn't let the bullet center up. I've found that liftng the center rod (rod in sizing die) up enough so the next unsized bullet is really close to the mouth diameter helps but may not be a total fix. I'll run a Lee push through die first on those boolits that are a PITA and then come back to lube on my RCBS. Of course a Magma/Star lube sizer would take care of everything as it centers the boolit like the Lee push through dies i.e. nose first sizing.