PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Univeral Case Trimmer isn't

mdevlin53
08-24-2012, 04:14 PM
I have a Lyman Trimmer and it is supposed to be Universal but it won't fit a Mauser base cartridge. I need to trim down some .43 Mauser cases for my oddball German Bolt Gun. I probably need to trim these down by about 3/8th of an inch. Any ideas what i can use to trim 20 cases. I hate to have to buy a whole new setup for one kind of case.
Michael

geargnasher
08-24-2012, 07:16 PM
See if Lee Precision makes one. Knock off most of the extra length with a cutoff tool in a Dremel.

Gear

mdevlin53
08-24-2012, 07:53 PM
The Lyman trimmer chuck has a pin for tightening the chuck. It hits the frame in the front of the trimmer. I went down and looked at it again and thought if i could get just a tad more rotation perhaps it would open enough for the fat mauser base. Cut it so it can swing down to the 6:00 position and wha-la it fits. I just have to be careful not to over rotate it now because if you do the dogs in the chuck will slip out of place. Dont ask me how i know. but they slip back in fairly easy. Now to get a seating die and i am home free.
Thanks for the idea Gear
Michael

Moonie
08-28-2012, 03:47 PM
I used to have one of these, isn't there a nut on the end of the shaft that holds the shell holder? I seem to remember having to tighten it up for some brass and loosen it up for others.

1hole
08-29-2012, 09:49 AM
We have 'universal' die sets too but .50 BMG dies won't fit the same threads; ***?

mdevlin53
08-29-2012, 04:39 PM
decided its not worth the effort

o6Patient
12-28-2012, 05:32 PM
If you could make a simple bushing to slip tightly over the neck much like a trim die as a guide
for evenness and take a file to 'em. (crazy thinking out loud perhaps)

o6Patient
12-28-2012, 05:41 PM
I don't know how important the cartridge is to you but you could get a second trimmer or trimmer chuck
and just modify it for this particular case rim.

drklynoon
12-28-2012, 11:58 PM
Moonie, the acculine Lyman trimmer is like you suggested. This is the one I have because I liked the way the lock down worked better than the more expensive Lyman trimmer.