PDA

View Full Version : S&W J frame to I frame question

Spector
08-24-2012, 09:33 AM
Will grips intended for the S&W J frame fit I frame revolvers?

I am hoping it is as simple as just swaping them without modification because I am wanting to try some Crimson Trace laser grips that are on my wife's J frame 442 on my I frame 33-1........Mike

Char-Gar
08-24-2012, 11:05 AM
The frames of the J and I are very close, but not the same. I have fitted wood J frame grips to an I frame, with just a little bit of modificaton. But I would not expect Crimson Trace laser grips to be an exact bolt on fit on an I frame. You would have to get the grips and see how they work. Keep the receipt so you can take them back if you feel the need to get your money back.

NoZombies
08-24-2012, 11:11 AM
The I-frame grip frame is a bit shorter. as a result, the grip locating pin is about 1/8" higher.

I thought by the time of all of the dash-ones, the I-frame was gone? But I'm no expert on the history.

Multigunner
08-24-2012, 12:20 PM
A pair of rubber wraparound grips for the Chiefs Special J frame I picked up at a flea market fit my 20's era I frame Hand Ejector fairly well. I don't use them though.
There were flat bottom wooden grips for the I Frame Hand Ejector that wrapped around at the bottom.