PDA

View Full Version : Molding Ingots from Linotype

Jeff82
08-24-2012, 09:30 AM
There's a fair amount of scrap linotype available on on E-bay (for a price). Is there anything special I need to know about melting scrap linotype? Seems like I could melt in in my regular casting pot and pour it into molds. I'm wondering if there is something I don't know about it, like the heat rate required, loss during melting, or some other bizarre thing that would leave me with a mess.

Thanks,

--Jeff

Alan in Vermont
08-24-2012, 10:10 AM
Why bother? It's all in nice, if a bit small, "ingots" as it is. Weigh it out in the quantities needed, as needed, when you are mixing a specific alloy. No point in making extra work for yourself.

bumpo628
08-24-2012, 10:57 AM
Yeah, I vote for leaving in original form too. It is already clean and easy to measure.

One more thing, don't buy lino in ingot form on ebay. There are too many people that might give you something else. For that matter, don't buy any ingots of any type on ebay. Always buy it in raw form so that you know what you're getting. They have no reason to pick out zinc or other stuff from the melt since it makes the ingots bigger.

Defcon-One
08-24-2012, 11:51 AM
I am the third vote for leaving it in it's original form.

I only melt it into ingots if it is dust and small chunks. Anything over 1" long, I keep as strips. It is easier to resell and easier to use that way. Once it is in ingots, it could be anything. It is hard to cut and you usually only need small amounts. Ingots can be a burden under those conditions.

Linotype melts at about 475 degrees F and cast into ingots without any issues. However, it sets very up slowly, so give it time. If you dump it out early they will break up and the middle may still be liquid causing a burn risk from splatter and a mess. It sets from the outside inward. The top of the ingots will get ripples on them as they set up. That is normal and is an indication that you have good Linotype lead.

Moonman
08-24-2012, 12:02 PM
Another vote for LEAVING LINOTYPE IN LINOTYPE FORM.

Jeff82
08-24-2012, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the input. I didn't think of leaving it in its original form. Now the advantage seems so obvious, once said. Thanks Defcon-One for the additional casting information; vert helpful.

lwknight
08-24-2012, 07:29 PM
I love my linotype ingots.
I had 400 pounds of linotype that required containers. The buckets were too heavy to deal with so I used a 3X5 brad pans to make 10-11 pound ingots. They are nice stack-able and portable ingots now.

HiVelocity
08-24-2012, 08:08 PM
Okay, I'm going to step out of the "norm" for a minute.

I cast 00 buckshot with my linotype and put into 3x3 boxes. That way, I don't have to weigh every piece I drop into a casting furnace. It stores well in this manner and its much easier to use and no worries when I need a specific weight for a batch of .308 bullets for whatever .30 caliber rifle I plan to load for.

Just my .02 worth.

HV

John Boy
08-24-2012, 09:00 PM
It's all in nice, if a bit small, "ingots" as it is Not if one was gifted with eight 25 lb bars that are Bhn 20.9! And the bars ring too

frankenfab
08-24-2012, 09:13 PM
Leaving it in type form makes a lot of sense. I was fortunate enough to get 2 of the original bar molds when I bought all mine. I had a blast for 3 days with my casting mentor melting it all down.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=479&pictureid=3663

Defcon-One
08-24-2012, 11:13 PM
Yeah, It looks good to me. Vey tempting at about 1500-1600 pounds total. I'd love about a dozen of those large Linotype bars. Maybe more!

The problem is, someone else can get that original bar mold and cast anything in it then sell on e-bay. Very few are gonna try and make fake Linotype strips to fool you, unless they have an old Linotype printing unit, then I guess that they could try. They probably wouldn't look right!

I suspect that I can't get any of those awesome bars, so I'll just stick with my strips!

Smithy
08-27-2012, 08:18 AM
I got a huge amount of free Linotype when the school changed their typesetting operation to computer driven so I know it was legit, but the 30 lb pigs that it came in were a bear to handle and smelt when I only had a 20 lb pot to do it in. I gave up and found a source for a 175 lb gas fired pot and then I was able to turn it into usable ingots. Smithy.

GRid.1569
08-27-2012, 08:30 AM
Leaving it in type form makes a lot of sense. I was fortunate enough to get 2 of the original bar molds when I bought all mine. I had a blast for 3 days with my casting mentor melting it all down.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=479&pictureid=3663

:cool: & :mrgreen: with envy....

mold maker
08-27-2012, 09:32 AM
As needed, I melt the pigs and pour .458 ingots for my own use as alloy material. Any type is saved as is for the same purpose.
That stuff is getting harder to find than WWs. The printing ind. obsoleted it long ago.