View Full Version : Load Suggestions for LEE 140 SWC in .357 Mag

Shiloh
08-23-2012, 08:52 PM
I Load 4.5 grains of Unique for the .38
Any suggestions for the .357??

Shiloh

paul h
08-24-2012, 06:34 PM
I'd work up to 7grs of unique in the .357, perhaps 7.5gr if the groups keep tightening as charges increase.

PS Paul
08-24-2012, 07:01 PM
I have loaded up to 8.6 gr. Unique for the 158 gr. SWC-type boolit with varied results. Backing off to 7.6, I have found a pretty good "medium-power" plinking/target-type load with reasonable recoil and pretty good groups. Obviously, results MAY be different in your gun? I believe this is likely a 900 to 950 fps. load (off the top of my head without checking notes), more or less depending on your barrel, lube, sizing, etc.

I sometimes use this load for taking out folks who are kind of new to revovlers, yet have some auto-pisol experience. If they are recoil-sensitive, I use Bullseye or Red Dot coupled with lighter boolits like 125 gr. SWC or RNFP. Have fun with it. Unique is one of my favorite powders, especially in .45 Colt!![smilie=p:

PS Paul
08-24-2012, 07:39 PM
It just dawned on me that it might not be "prudent" to actually post any loads without first checking my notes or published data? I almost always try to stay within published data specs, especially on established loads like .357. With that said, I took a look at some published data and the above 7.6 gr. Unique with 158 gr. SWC after posting. I found it is listed anywhere from 950 to 1,250 fps., depending on the source and the mould.

It is a safe working load, but prudent to "work up to"- or at least prudent for me to add the warning- ha-ha!!

PS Paul
08-24-2012, 08:02 PM
The Lyman Load Book shows the following data: for a 140 gr. "j" word- Unique 7.0 starting and 8.9 gr. MAX at 1,233 fps.
There is no data for a cast boolit in that weight, but for 125 gr. (linotype) 6.0 gr. Unique starting and 7.8 gr. MAX at 1,290 fps.
For 150 gr. Linotype (hard-cast) they do not list Unique in the data.

I usually feel comfortable working up to many jacketed loads with the appropriate alloy. So it appears a 7.6 gr. load should fall "right in the middle" with your 140gr. Lee boolit.

Now I feel better because I was envisioning being lambasted from every side for being imprudent in suggesting that "warm" a load!!!!

Shiloh
08-24-2012, 10:06 PM
It just dawned on me that it might not be "prudent" to actually post any loads without first checking my notes or published data? I almost always try to stay within published data specs, especially on established loads like .357. With that said, I took a look at some published data and the above 7.6 gr. Unique with 158 gr. SWC after posting. I found it is listed anywhere from 950 to 1,250 fps., depending on the source and the mould.

It is a safe working load, but prudent to "work up to"- or at least prudent for me to add the warning- ha-ha!!

There are so may combos. What we casters do is work up loads as there is simply no exact data available. My 48th edition Lyman book has loads for a 150 gr SWC but nothing using Unique. So I'll glean info on a heavier boolit, substitute a lighter one and work up.

Looking for a mid power load. If I ever want to ramp them up, there is published data with other powders for a boolit that is heavier, but with slower powders.

Seems like I asked the same question about the same boolit sometime back, but never really followed through with it.

Shiloh

PS Paul
08-24-2012, 10:21 PM
Wise, Since the only mould I have is for a 158 gr. SWC in .358, that is most of the loading info I use (ha-ha) and recommend!!!

Like you said, subbing a lighter boolit is always OK, but since I'm so new to the forum (though I have almost 25 years of re-loading experience), I did not want to "breach etiquette" and give poor info, you know? I REALLY don't want to get the ire of some of the more seasoned members and I've REALLY been trying to avoid that, so thanks for communicating with me.;)

Shiloh
08-30-2012, 05:09 PM
I loaded up some LEE 140 gr SWC for the .357 mag. Mixed Brass.
Boolits were sized through a Lyman 450 at .358
I'll try LLA lube next

6.0 gr. Unique

LO 1109
HI 1189
AV 1151
ES 80.44
SD 25.31

6.5 gr Unique

LO 1179
HI 1240
AV 1217
ES 60.58
SD 18.27

These were the best of the 2 strings of each load tested.
I seated them to the crimp groove measuring 1.589 inches OAL.

There is data from the Lyman 47th Ed. Reloading handbbook for the
141 gr Lyman 358495 WC boolit. they had that boolit seated to an OAL
of 1.435. THat would be the second groove down from the nose. Pretty deep.
Listed velocity with the max load of 7.9 gr. Unique is 1289.

No way I.m going that high of a powder charge. I may tweak up a tenth or two to see if the numbers get better. Accuracy was OK, with the 6.5 gr load being noticeably better.
This was shooting from the bench at 25 yds. Not a trace of leading with 50/50 WW/RL
alloy.

Shiloh