PDA

View Full Version : If You're Interested....

Cadillo
08-23-2012, 11:18 AM
One of the tragedies befalling the shooting sports these days is the diminishing participation by young people. I’ve met a few young shooters in the last few years, but I’ve met VERY FEW young reloaders and have yet to meet any young boolit casters. The youngest caster I’ve met personally so far is over forty-five years old. That’s a shame.

So, if you are a member of this forum and a young caster, who thinks that (s)he might like to have a nearly new PatMarlin’s .45 caliber plain base pistol check maker configured for an RCBS Rockchucker press shipped to him/her free and freight prepaid, please send me a PM indicating your true age. I’ll wait a week, or perhaps a little longer, and will then announce the winner, who will have been the youngest of the lot. I’ll then request your contact information via PM and get the item out to you prepaid with my blessing.

09/03/2012
Update

As I predicted, there were few contestants. Only six(6) applied. Their ages were 24, 27, 28, 29, 35, & 41 YOA. The winner is brandoninaz, 24 YOA. I will get to the Post Office one day later this week and get her headed your way, once you PM me your contact information. Please contact Yonky via PM also, as he has said that he will help you out with some raw material.

Congratulations, and enjoy!

Wally
08-23-2012, 11:45 AM
The cost is just too high in this bad economy.... My 24 year old son sees no enjoyment in it--he prefers to play video games. With casting, the unavailability of cheap/free lead alloy has really been very detrimental to the "art"....as is the cost of factory bullets & ammunition.

hardy
08-23-2012, 12:11 PM
Hi Cadillo,I can honestly say that I,ve been casting since before my sixteenth birthday but I suppose the fact that I,m a Leap Year Baby rules me out,huh?Oh, my wife celebrated her thirteenth birthday this last 29th February,yep another Leap Year Babe,but the only thing she,s ever cast is a few wicked spells!!!!LOL Well,I had to try did,nt I? Cheers ,Mike

08-23-2012, 03:21 PM
A nice and generous offer. Glad to see it.

No youngin's here. Seems like this entire generation ( I know - many exceptions ) doesn't do "stuff". As a kid, I made forts, whittled everything imagineable, camped out, rode my bike, collected bottles for the $0.02 refund and walked to the Red & White for penny candy. Seems as a culture the only thing we can't survive is success.

Hope you get many responses.

jmsj
08-23-2012, 06:20 PM
Cadillo,
That's a very generous offer.
I agree that there are probably less and less young people reloading these days. Both of my kids (8&12) help me reload and both of them reload their own .410 shells (under my supervision). They have also already cast up a few bullets (using all safety and health precautions) so don't lose heart there are still a few kids casting and reloading.
We already have a 45 PB gas check maker and I wish you luck on your generous giveaway offer.
Good luck, jmsj

Cadillo
08-23-2012, 09:43 PM
The cost is just too high in this bad economy.... My 24 year old son sees no enjoyment in it--he prefers to play video games. With casting, the unavailability of cheap/free lead alloy has really been very detrimental to the "art"....as is the cost of factory bullets & ammunition.

That's a shame about the video game disease, which along with Texting has reached epidemic proportions among the nation's youth these days. The lead is still out there if you look. I recently smelted some lead pipe jacks(vent pipe flashing) that were given to me by a fellow gun club member who is in the roofing business. That session yielded 300lbs. of ingots (just too Hot to keep going, had to quit). I have enough left to net about another 100 lbs. I promised the guy some .45 Colt bullets once the weather breaks and I can resume casting.

Another good source is old folks who are or were casters. Last year I scored (as in free) better than 500lbs. of clip on weights from some older friends who had held them for a long time, but no longer wish to do all the hot work. I always give them some loaded ammo, cast bullets, or whatever they will let me know they might want or need.

Shooters are great people. I almost have to force them to take something in return. They simply want to see the torch passed on to the next generation, a sentiment that I strongly share.

It's an old man's game here where I'm at. I'm approaching 59, and the other casters I know call me the "Kid", as they are just about all my late father's age.

milkman
08-24-2012, 06:53 AM
Yep, same here. Grandsons, video games, smart phones -- My sons laugh at me for putting in all the "work" to cast when it's so easy just to buy some "good" bullets.

Cadillo
08-24-2012, 09:26 AM
Yep, same here. Grandsons, video games, smart phones -- My sons laugh at me for putting in all the "work" to cast when it's so easy just to buy some "good" bullets.

Funny thing is that in one sense they are right to question your time investment in casting. In one way logic demads the question, but it is logic not tempered with passion. For me it is just another labor of love, but I'm then I'm a guy who loves doing as much of everything that I can for myself.

Even as I enter into middle age, I still crawl under my cars and change my own oil, get under the hood and change out belts, hoses, thermostats sparkplugs, etc. If I don't know how to do it, but think that I can learn and then do it without an unreasonable investment in tools or specific equipment, I buy a book and learn how. I know a lot of people who are the same way, but sadly almost none of them are young. I know that there have to be some younger folks who are about that sort of thing, but sadly I just don't run into them.

The young folks (teenagers) that I know, and some are in my extended family, can do things that I can't even manage with electronic gadgets, but have little to no knowledge about anything mechanical. I love to trip them up by asking them if they know how to check the oil in their engines or air pressure in their tires. Their attitudes are usually that the folks at the dealership or Jiffy lube handle that, so there's no need to worry about it.

One young man I know, a college student, recently related to me that he had a flat tire on his way back to school. He said with some relief how fortuitous it was that his parents had had the foresight to have a roadside assistance rider on his insurance policy, as he had to send for a man to come and change his flat tire. He's also one of the ones, who doesn't know how to check his own oil.

But I know there are still a few of the industrious ones out there. A friend has a son that I know, a good kid 22 YOA. College student, USMC ROTC, pretty good motorcycle mechanic, reloader, GREAT pistol shooter, and like his Dad builds his own 1911's from acquired quality parts, and does a jam up job of fitting his barrels and links. That kid shines like a new dime. I hope that there are more of them out there.

Wayne Smith
08-24-2012, 12:46 PM
Let's see Chris (Arisaka99) is all of 16 this year. He doesn't have a .45 rifle, though.

Love Life
08-24-2012, 05:24 PM
I'm 27. I say that not to get the checkmaker, but to show that there are a few of us young guys floating around.

What about JamesConn? I believe he is 18 or 19.

btroj
08-24-2012, 05:52 PM
My daughter is 18 and likes to shoot. Actually, she goes to the range with me some. She actually goes more to help pick up range scrap than to shoot!

I work hard to get new shooters interested. I have a neighbor who is interested in buying a handgun. He will be going to the rane sometime soon. So will the husband of a coworker. That guy wants to shoot but his father also owns a trucking company. Maybe I can get some wheel weights for that one.

I will say that this isone of the more generous offers I have seen on this site. To offer a piece of equipment, unsolicited, to a young member is awesome.

WD2A7X3
08-24-2012, 06:18 PM
If the economy keeps trending the way it is, I think you may see more younger casters. I'm in my early 30's and have been casting almost a year now thanks mainly to this site. It's been a great way to shoot many of my guns that had been 'dormant' due to the cost of ammo.

I'm not mentioning this to throw my name in the hat for the check maker, just to give a free bump for for a good cause, my only .45 mold is plain base anyways.

30-06, which is my favorite hunting rifle, is only running me about $1 a box since the lead and casings are free range pickups. The only time I even shoot jacketed now is competition, where I need match grade accuracy.

This year will also be my first deer season using cast bullets. I loaded up 100 rounds which is about 95 more then I'll be using, but for the cost of less then $10 it's hard to resist loading more then I need :)

Cadillo
08-24-2012, 08:55 PM
If you are interested and think that your age will get you in the running, please send me a PM as requested in the notice. It's reassuring to hear about and from younger casters, but only those reporting in via PM are in the running.

Thanks for the responses!

yonky
08-25-2012, 04:10 AM
Cadillo, I would also like to help with your very kind offer,whoever you decide to give the check maker to. I will donate free of charge a coil of aluminium to go with it. To help them on their way.
Ian

brnomauser
08-25-2012, 08:03 AM
I've just turned 28 - not after your check maker, although that's a very kind offer to someone but I have to say I'm the only person I know who casts, old or young. I know several reloaders (in fact everyone I know who shoots reloads) but people look at me weird when I talk about casting. Idiots just don't get it.

It seems people, especially young ones (including my age) are after speed - not cast bullets.

Sasquatch-1
08-25-2012, 08:30 AM
I am getting my 26 year old daughter going in the reloading direction. Haven't got her casting yet and neither of us own anything we could use a 45 gc on.

She is out there looking for lead and always comes home with twice as many cases as she has shot. Actually got her on the presses the other day and had her knock out a hundred rounds for her 9MM. Good luck and hopefully you will find a fine young person to donate it to.

1Shirt
08-25-2012, 10:25 AM
Can't help but agree with Wally about the factor of cost and a comparison of technology for the young folks. At close to 3 cents a primer, maybe 3-5 cents for hand gun, 10-15 cents or more for rifle (depending on ctg and charge) for powder, time involved in casting, checking, sizing, lubing, and loading, there is a lot of time, energy, and cost associated with the process. (Bad long sentence I know). For youngsters who are raised on TV, IPOD's, Twixting, Tweeting, and instantenoug action/reaction, it must seem like a big bother. If you can get them away from the Tech factor of life long enough to indoctrinate them into the shooting sports you may have a chance. At the range a couple of weeks ago, there was a guy with two teen agers who were doing some shooting. However between their time on the bench, they were behind the line totaly ingaged on Texting. AND, among other things, a lot of them have lost the art/or are loosing the art of face to face communication. Makes you wonder what comes next. I still remember thinking that Dick Tracy's wrist radio with min T.V. was beyond reality.
Just shows to go ya what I knew back then, and probably now about the future.
1Shirt!

nanuk
08-25-2012, 02:39 PM
I had only ONE birthday.....

but lots of anniversarires

0verkill
08-25-2012, 03:41 PM

That really bothers me, the whole attitude that something you buy is better than anything you make.

btroj
08-25-2012, 05:51 PM
Judging kids because they enjoy technology over shooting is silly. Kids today are just being kids. Did you parents like your music? Choice in hair styles? Anything?

Of you want to get or keep kids involved then find what they want to shoot. Let them have fun, even if it means shooting lotsof ammo. Unless the kids enjoy themselves they won't be coming back.

I let my daughter have some say and it kept her going to the range. If it is fun they go, if it is an obligation then Ry will resist.

Cadillo
08-25-2012, 09:59 PM
Cadillo, I would also like to help with your very kind offer,whoever you decide to give the check maker to. I will donate free of charge a coil of aluminium to go with it. To help them on their way.
Ian

Yonky,

You are a gentleman and a scholar. I both salute you and thank you. I'll keep you apprised.

Thanks!

rmatchell
08-25-2012, 11:21 PM
I am 28, and I would have to agree with this. All of the people I look up to for answers to my questions or just random information that comes with our time spent BSing is from those twice my age. I hope to pass this hobby on to my son but only time will tell.

bronte454
09-02-2012, 12:01 AM
Well I've got my 9 yr old shooting and he has a slingshot and wants to shoot it out back all the time so I told him I would get a 30 cal round ball mold that way if he wanted to shoot he could make his own fodder . He is a dead eye with anything I've put in his hands so far (all rifle so far ) 22-308 . I'm hoping to put the 308 in his hands this deer season I've got an original Cramer that drops a 31141 clone with H.P. at 168 grns . He's over excited to say the least . Next to him I'm the youngest caster I personally know an I'm 39 . Been casting since kindergarden when I asked my grandpa what he was doing one day many yrs ago. My son doesn't have a wii or playstation much less a cell phone . He plays outside or helps in the garage or out back. I have told him I want him to learn what it means to work for what you want . To many kids sit in front of the dang TV I just don't like it . Especially if he has to know how to survive when this economy crashes an there isn't any Tv or video game . He can fish he hopefully continues to want to hurt . We've worked on learning planting and gardening this summer an several of the lants are his . He's learned about cactus an good source for water . Hopefully he picks up the reloading . He currently helps with the brass but isn't overly excited about it. I've got a contender with a 10" 32-20 barrel and a ruger blackhawk 30 carbine those are the next step in his learning curve then I've got a taurus 44 special then into the Colt Anaconda 45 Colt . Just one step at a time an learn the whole process from casting for each seperately to loading to shooting then move to the next one cast for it load for it an shoot it . I'm hoping with the repetition it will stick . Wonderful thing you are doing here and I'm am glad as well to here there are some younger shooters who are casting as well .

smokeywolf
09-02-2012, 12:36 AM
Haven't gotten my boys (ages 11 and 12) casting yet, but they do size and lube in the Lyman #45 lubrisizer. Shooting is the one thing that they value above video games or anything else.
Because children want to see immediate returns on their investments (time), I don't see them doing any casting real soon.
I'm very happy that they are involved in reloading and shooting. Time spent with them in the garage reloading and at the range shooting those reloads, is priceless.

smokeywolf

Cadillo
09-03-2012, 08:22 PM
As I predicted, there were few contestants. Only six(6) applied. Their ages were 24, 27, 28, 29, 35, & 41 YOA. The winner is brandoninaz, 24 YOA. I will get to the Post Office one day later this week and get her headed your way, once you PM me your contact information. Please contact Yonky via PM also, as he has said that he will help you out with some raw material.

Congratulations, and enjoy!

brandoninaz
09-04-2012, 04:59 PM
Wow! Thanks Cadillo and Yonky!

I'll make sure I'm a good steward of your generosity, and continue to try to get other guys involved in casting and reloading.

Brandon

abqcaster
09-04-2012, 05:41 PM
My 5yo daughter pulls the lever on the press for me when we're sizing bullets and loading ammo. She always asks if I need help making bullets when I head to my workshop. :)

yonky
09-05-2012, 08:13 AM
glad to be of service,everybody needs a helping hand from time to time....be sure to post how your getting on from time to time...ian

Cadillo
09-06-2012, 01:04 PM
Brandoninaz,

Your checkmaker is on its way via Priority Mail.

Enjoy!

popper
09-06-2012, 01:05 PM
I talk to a lot of youngsters at the range, many say they'd like to reload, but don't get around to it. They have been trained to read recipes and push buttons. Results of the 'ME' generation. That pendulum is swinging back and will hit them in the crotch. Read some of the reloading posted questions from them and see if you agree with me.

yonky
09-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Brendon, your coil is on the way enjoy!

brandoninaz
09-06-2012, 06:05 PM
I talk to a lot of youngsters at the range, many say they'd like to reload, but don't get around to it. They have been trained to read recipes and push buttons. Results of the 'ME' generation. That pendulum is swinging back and will hit them in the crotch. Read some of the reloading posted questions from them and see if you agree with me.

I definitely agree. I have invited friends over who say they are interested in reloading to show them how it's done, but they are either bored by the process, or not interested in putting in the effort to reload so that they can shoot more (that's generally the reason they're interested in reloading). So, instead of investing the effort into reloading, they simply shoot less, or almost never.

They just aren't interested in making things (and this goes for most activities and hobbies, not just reloading) once they see that it's not a push-button operation.

sdcitizen
09-07-2012, 03:49 PM
I'm 28 and cast almost everything I shoot, over the course of this summer, I got 3 neighbor kids under the age of 16 interested in reloading/casting. They are out there, but it is few and far between. 2 of the 3 are already eyeballing their own setups to get started.

Nocturnal Stumblebutt
09-07-2012, 11:32 PM
I'm 25, I've been reloading for a year and casting for about 2 months. I'll never stop, making things for myself rather than buying them makes me so happy.

Love Life
09-10-2012, 10:41 AM

The parents (previous generation) are just as much to blame for today's generation as the actual generation is. Time to look in the mirror...

Freightman
09-10-2012, 10:43 AM
Sometimes it isn't lack of interest it is lack of time, my Grand kids both are in collage preparing for the future, One is working for her PHD in History, and my grand son is working on his in engineering, both are shooters and love it but the time just isn't there. So for some of our youth it isn't TV or games or texting it is time.