PDA

View Full Version : NEW and attempting --need advice

sgt.mike
08-23-2012, 12:20 AM
..deleted

Frank46
08-23-2012, 12:27 AM
Welcome to the insanity of it all. Now where should we begin chicken or the egg. I'd start rounding up something to make boolits out of first. Lead, wheel weights, linotype stuff like that. Maybe a trip to your local tire shop or junk yard is in your future. I'm over due myself. Whatever I sell to them I usually end up giving it back plus some more. Once you have some lead, or wheel weights on hand them figure out what you are gonna need to make boolits out of it. Frank

runfiverun
08-23-2012, 01:30 AM
lead....

bobthenailer
08-23-2012, 07:45 AM
Definatly lead alloys ect ! you have to find a cheap local source for it probley a few hundred pounds to get started , to make it worth while to buy the casting equipment ! which can be purchased any time.

largom
08-23-2012, 08:10 AM
Welcome to the habit! First on the list should be to order/get the Lyman Castbullet Handbook. Veral Smith also has a great book on cast boolits. These books will give you an introduction to casting. If you still want to make the venture then start collecting lead and wheel weights.

Larry

mold maker
08-23-2012, 09:14 AM
Reading this forum will acquaint you with the how and why, but basic knowledge, of what lead bullet casting is all about, can be found in several books. They are full of knowledge that you MUST have to safely cast.
Establish as many lead contacts as you can. It's getting harder to source everyday.
Try to find someone who casts, to give you hands on experience, before committing much money. No need to buy stuff you'll not use.
Think safety first as you learn. Your going to be handling 700+ degree molten metal. It isn't forgiving of your mistakes or carelessness.
Come here to ask about anything you don't understand. We've already made about all the mistakes, so you don't need to re-invent the wheel.
Welcome to a lifetime madness.

Rex
08-23-2012, 09:40 AM
Go to "Handloads.com", they have a sticky under cast bullets that lists pretty much all of your needs.

Swede44mag
08-23-2012, 09:54 AM
:guntootsmiley:Lead, Lead & more Lead.

Rex
08-23-2012, 10:56 AM
Sorry about the Handloads advice, looks like the sticky I referred to is no longer there.

Blammer
08-23-2012, 11:16 AM
lead first all the while keeping an eye out for a good bargain mould. :)

mdi
08-23-2012, 11:51 AM
Between the two, lead is your primary concern. You will prolly be able to buy molds for many more years, but lead is getting harder to find...

Wayne Smith
08-23-2012, 12:00 PM
Gee, I would have said "Guns first" - as in buying some hollow core sinkers and slugging your barrels. Don't buy a mold until you have done this. Collect all the lead you can, in as many forms as you can. That is an unending quest.

mortre
08-23-2012, 12:17 PM
Scrap lead in my area is a non-starter. I was able to buy ISO lead ingots from the swapping and selling section for little more than I would have paid at the scrap center. And someone had already done the fluxing/cleaning.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

H.Callahan
08-23-2012, 03:00 PM
I would say multi-task. Slug your guns, look for molds and look for lead at the same time!

Bob Krack
08-25-2012, 05:46 AM
The .45ACP is a lot easier to please than the 9MM Luger...... .45 far better choice first attempt.

Good luck and have fun.

Bob