PDA

View Full Version : Mould ?

Jeff.L
08-22-2012, 02:43 PM
It casts a 30cal and 22cal has block #s but no mould #s and the blocks are Lyman, would this be a custom mould from Lyamn?

Piedmont
08-22-2012, 09:19 PM
Yes. It used to be they would make you anything you might want. I have a four cavity from the early 1960s with the .45 Keith auto rim bullet, a .38 wadcutter, and two cavities of the .30 cal Squibb gas check bullet. I believe the blocks are stamped with all of those design designations, though.

BCall
08-22-2012, 10:52 PM
That looks like a 225646 and a 311644 in one block. I have seen a number of blocks cut with different designs, I think beagle even wrote an article about them on castpics, at least I think it was beagle. I'm surprised to see those designs though. I was kinda under the impression that they stopped the practice before those designs hit the market. Perhaps I was under the wrong impression. Neat mold.

J..
08-22-2012, 11:50 PM
I was kinda under the impression that they stopped the practice before those designs hit the market. Perhaps I was under the wrong impression. Neat mold.

Indeed, there's been some odd stuff coming from Lyman in the last few years as regards things like custom designs, special runs, proprietary designs, etc.

Most notable is that lately it seems someone has set up a run of the #462560 and #375166 design and is selling the moulds on eBay, brand new, current style of packaging, but when I talk to the guys at Lyman they know nothing about it.

If I had to guess, I'd say that in the case of the mould shown in the OP, it was either a special run for a dealer, someone got a 'sweetheart' arrangement with someone they knew at Lyman to make it for them, or they bought some blank blocks and had a copy of the cherry made and had the mould cut themselves (which might explain the lack of numbers, but option #2 might explain that as well). Another possible explanation might be that it was made to showcase two new designs and was sent to someone at Handloader or similar venue.

Just more mysteries for the mould collecting fraternity.

Jeff.L
08-23-2012, 02:25 PM
The Gentlman who sold me the mould told me that the old Guy he got them from
worked for Lyman for many years... Could have been something he had made or made for himself.. Jeff

beagle
08-24-2012, 09:58 AM
Yeah, that's an interesting combination as both designs were introduced by Lyman long after the policy of making custom moulds was dropped.

I'd say you have one made by someone inside Lyman's organization or else a custom mould maker that had the designs on CAD.

Good combination though so enjoy./beagle

J..
08-24-2012, 12:11 PM
Yeah, that's an interesting combination as both designs were introduced by Lyman long after the policy of making custom moulds was dropped.

Looks like Lyman might have had a custom mould program in place a little longer than we thought. Check this out - it's an ancient discontinued design, in two different weights, and note that the box is labelled 'Special Mould' and that it's a later-production ( ca. 1990's) box.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_151235037a682d16f0.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=6399)

I suspect theres a disconnect at Lyman regarding 'off the catalog' moulds. More and more it looks like getting something a little special is just a matter of talking to the right people or ordering enough of something in quantity.