PDA

View Full Version : Vihtavuori loads for mihecs 44 HBWC?

HDS
08-22-2012, 02:27 PM
Anyone here use VV powder to load the 44 HBWC wadcutter from mihec? I have no idea what I should load this with. I am considering Tin Star (sorta like Trail Boss) for this.

Quickload would have been helpful but I don't have the mold yet so I can't make the proper specs for the hollow base, anyone here put this bullet into QL?

Forrest r
08-23-2012, 03:51 AM
No vv powders but I've used BE, ww231, clays, universal clays, internation clays & ww452 with them so far.

All of those powders produced good groups but the ww452 & the international clays produced killer groups.

Ola
08-23-2012, 04:41 AM
In this kind of application the easiest VV powder to start with is TinStar. I would just fill the empty space under the WC with tin star, maybe reduce 5 % and work up from there. That should a very mild load.

But in the long run, I definitely would develop a load for N320 or N330. Just because of the availability and because with WC-boolit the TinStar doesn't have significant advantage.

HDS
08-23-2012, 04:56 AM
I found some load data for HN HBWCs in 44, someones personal load of 7.2gr of N330 and loaded to an OAL of 37.60mm, might be a useful starting point if reduced 10%.

TinStar is also good, I use it often for my 44 SWC loads. I am considering buying N340 next time though instead of N330.

HDS
08-29-2012, 11:01 AM
I tried a reduced load of 4.5 grains of N32C and according to QL should have given me around 720fps velocity. I was able to keep most of the bullets on one of those 10m airgun targets at 50 yards so I think the accuracy might be there, just me that's the weak spot.

I'm not sure if I should go higher or not, I read that most WC loads are around the 700-800FPS range, some have mentioned pushing them to 1000FPS but I don't think that'd be good in an HBWC bullet.

Larry Gibson
08-29-2012, 01:43 PM
I did a lot of testing of low end CBA loads with N32C (Tin Star). If you look at the VV manual you will see thier starting loads (including the listed CBA loads) loads with Tin Star do not go below a certain level. There is a reason for that. For low end loads in either the 44 SPL, 44 Magnum or 44-40 with lighter weight (200 gr or less) you will do better with N310 or N320, both of which are faster burning. I don't know what the MH HBWC weights but id 200 gr or less I would try N310 first.

Larry Gibson

HDS
08-30-2012, 12:28 AM
The ones I've cast are 219 grains. This load seems to be working fine at a glance, it also burns clean. I am looking at N330, burnrate seems very close to Unique, which is what all the WC shooters seem to like.

Ola
08-30-2012, 04:00 AM
Tin Star is amazing powder. Shooters come up with new applications all the time. I know a guy that is loading shotgun shells with it and an other that uses it for siluette loads in .300 Whisper bolt action pistol. They both are top notch shooters and demand consistency. That is what they have found in Tin Star.

In the end it seems that the original purpose, CAS, is not actually the best application for the powder, but the manufacturer doesn't understand it. Tin Star has been in the market for years, but still Vihtavuori have no data for anything else..