PDA

View Full Version : Safety equipment suggestions

novalty
08-22-2012, 12:39 PM
I'm sure this has been gone over before, but I didn't see anything jump out in a search. Recently I picked a small batch of casting equipment: Lee Lead Pot, RCBS LAMII, pan for ingots, welding gloves, thermometer, Lyman Casting Handbook #3, some sizing dies for 357 & 45 that I can use. Thankfully, my father-in-law has been casting for a very long time and will mentor me on using. My biggest concern is that I have already had my run in with cancer, and am looking for suggestions on safety equipment to use while casting. I am planning on casting in my garage with doors open and fans for ventilation. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Jeff82
08-22-2012, 12:54 PM
Sorry you've had a run-in with cancer. My casting safety equipment is: very small fire extinguisher, respirator, leather gloves, long sleeve shirt, long pants, baseball cap. I too cast in my garage. I think I may be overdoing it with the respirator, but you never know. So, I religiously wear it.

I think there may be more lead exposure from handling bullets after they've been cast. So, always wash your hands.

Kraschenbirn
08-22-2012, 01:26 PM
Jeff covered pretty much all the major items except one: eye protection! You mentioned having a 'run in' with cancer, well, I've had one with the 'wet' variety of macular degeneration (the really nasty form), so I've become something of a fanatic about eye protection. I not only wear my regular glasses...with hard-coated polycarb lenses...but put a pair of lab-type safety goggles over them, as well.

Most likely, sooner or later, you're gonna get that visit from the tinsel fairy and, believe me, 'til you've had one, you've no idea how fast or how far them itty-bitty drops of molten lead can spatter.

'Nother thing he didn't mention was footwear. Ain't nuthin' like dripping the liquid sprue puddle off a 2-cavity mould onto a pair of laced-up sneakers to really get your attention. My personal preference is the same old pair of pull-on leather work boots I keep under my welding bench.

Bill

novalty
08-22-2012, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Look like I'll be picking up some more equipment. Won't be melting anything, until I have all my ducks in a row. Had enough medical fun with oral cancer, removing half of my tongue & replacing with with part of my wrist in a 10 hour surgery, 30 radiation treatments and 4 chemo treatments. That and having to get all nutrient through a tube into my stomach for 6 mouth due to radiation burns in my mouth, is enough to make me a little apprehensive about playing with lead. Almost 5 years cancer free, and want to keep it that way.

Jim
08-22-2012, 01:48 PM
I know it's easy to spend somebody else's money, but get a 10 lb. ABC rated dry chemical fire extinguisher. If the fire amounts to more than a cigarette butt fire in a trash can, that little bycycle model ain't gonna touch it. Station it right beside the door so you can grab it ON THE WAY OUT and fight your way back in. Don't let it wind up behind anything.

Pardon me for getting all excited and jumping up and down about this. Most people don't have a clue what it's like. I went through petro-chemical firefighting training at Amoco Chemical Corp. back in the late 70's. It got my attention. I have fire extinguishers all over the house, one in the shop and one in each vehicle.

Kraschenbirn
08-22-2012, 03:27 PM
[QUOTE=Jim;1820287]I know it's easy to spend somebody else's money, but get a 10 lb. ABC rated dry chemical fire extinguisher. If the fire amounts to more than a cigarette butt fire in a trash can, that little bycycle model ain't gonna touch it. Station it right beside the door so you can grab it ON THE WAY OUT and fight your way back in. Don't let it wind up behind anything.

Good point, Jim. Actually, the current Nat'l Fire Protection Association (NFPA) recommendation for a garage/workshop environment is a minimum of (1) 2A20BC dry chemical extinguisher for every 1000 sf. Like you, I got my fire training from the industrial side (Natural Gas Pipeline of America) and, being on the outside edge of my fire protection district, keep serious extinguishers in the kitchen, basement, workshop, and garage.

Bill

novalty
08-22-2012, 03:30 PM
Extinguisher has been added to the list. Thanks again!

1. Fire Extinguisher
2. Safety Goggles
3. Denim Apron
4. Anti-fatigue mat
5. Gloves
5. Boots
6. Large cookie sheet to contain any spills (or Lee Pot drip).

btroj
08-22-2012, 08:05 PM
The single most important piece of safety equipment lies directly between your ears.

I wear long pants, boots, and a shirt. 1 always wear glasses. Otherwise, I don't have any real"safety equipment". No face mask, apron, loves, or fire extinguisher.

F you pay attention and avoid stupity with molten lead itis pretty darn safe. Not really that different from shooting in general, avoid mistakes and you don't get hurt.

PS Paul
08-22-2012, 08:15 PM
I have tried one of those welding face masks, but they dirty up pretty quickly and I found just a good pair of safety glasses works best for ME. Some guys swear by that big facemask..... I am yet to splatter molten lead on my face, but I have found spatters on my cotton overalls. No matter how hot my garage work area gets, I still wear leather boots and the cotton overalls as well as big leather gloves.

smokeywolf
08-22-2012, 08:31 PM
I keep a 5lb. ABC dry chem. by my casting bench. Another by the door to the garage. and a 3lb. in the middle of the garage. If I have a fire spring up between me and an exit I want a fighting chance.

08-22-2012, 08:50 PM
Our casting pots don't get to a high enough temperature (about 1200-degree Farenheit) to produce lead fumes, so a respirator is not an essential piece of safety equipment, but, please, use whatever you deem necessary. Lead poisoning is via ingestion, so wash your hands after handling lead.

Don't forget a long, denim apron -- one that reaches at least to your knees. If you will be standing on a concrete floor, those square, inter-locking foam mats go a long way toward reducing fatigue, aches and pains.

novalty
08-22-2012, 09:37 PM
Any suggestions on where to pick up a denim apron, never been in the market for one, so not sure where to look, or what brand to look for. A quick Google search gets me prices from $3.99 at Harbor Freight to $125 for Selvedge brand.

08-22-2012, 10:56 PM
Bought my apron from Harbor Freight.

mdi
08-23-2012, 12:08 PM
The single most important piece of safety equipment lies directly between your ears.

I wear long pants, boots, and a shirt. 1 always wear glasses. Otherwise, I don't have any real"safety equipment". No face mask, apron, loves, or fire extinguisher.

F you pay attention and avoid stupity with molten lead itis pretty darn safe. Not really that different from shooting in general, avoid mistakes and you don't get hurt.
Yep, me too. Lead at bullet casting temperatures doesn't emit toxic fumes, but I use a small (6") clip-on fan directing a stream of air across the casting area (for me it's left to right). I also set the pot on a stainless steel tray about 18"x24" to contain any larger spills and a large cookie sheet willl work also. I tried heavy gloves. but I dropped molds/tools so I quit wearing them. Like btroj says, use common sense and casting is safer than watching TV.

BTW welcome to the Cancer Overcomers! I too had tongue/throat cancer (from breathing Los Angeles air!) and did the surgerys (4) and radiation. I refused to have a feeding tube installed and lost 50+ lbs., but I learned to get nutricton with/through liquids. I'm clean/cancer free because of a living and loving God...

dragon813gt
08-23-2012, 02:10 PM
I bought a welders apron from harbor freight for maybe $15. It's not denim but it's also not the highest grade of leather. It does the job just fine for casting.

One piece of advice for boots. Make sure they are all leather. You don't want any synthetic panels, like nylon. Any molten lead splatter will make quick work of the synthetics and you could end up with a burn. I didn't do it with lead but it happened with a molten drip of a brazing rod at work. I learned a valuable lesson that day.

I wear a respirator when melting down wheel weights and range scrap. Not really worried about lead fumes. I'm worried about everything else that the lead is coated with.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

KYCaster
08-24-2012, 06:41 PM
I bought a welders apron from harbor freight for maybe $15. It's not denim but it's also not the highest grade of leather. It does the job just fine for casting.

One piece of advice for boots. Make sure they are all leather. You don't want any synthetic panels, like nylon. Any molten lead splatter will make quick work of the synthetics and you could end up with a burn. I didn't do it with lead but it happened with a molten drip of a brazing rod at work. I learned a valuable lesson that day.

I wear a respirator when melting down wheel weights and range scrap. Not really worried about lead fumes. I'm worried about everything else that the lead is coated with.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

I agree 100%. No synthetics.....Cotton, wool or leather is the way to dress.

High top boots so your pants will cover the tops.....a drop of hot metal inside your shoe isn't fun.

Lead fumes are NOT a problem. Search for threads about stuff you find mixed with the WW. Oils, plastics, tobacco, salts, adhesives, on and on and on. Particulate filters are no protection against fumes.....get the right respirator.

Jerry

mdi
08-24-2012, 07:11 PM
Oh, BTW; I would highly recommend you let bullets cool before you pick them up. When I began casting my mold dropped a "perfect" bullet, and I got so excited I picked it up. Ouch! Pain hurts...

mold maker
08-24-2012, 07:38 PM
I didn't see anybody mention a cap or better yet a hat, with a brim. Molten lead rain from the fairy makes it hard to comb your hair for several weeks. Of course I nolonger have hair to worry about, but what's left is what hurts anyway.