PDA

View Full Version : T/C contender in 7TCU

Longone
08-22-2012, 10:00 AM
I'm thinking I might like to branch out a bit with a single shot handgun. It would be used for paper punching from the bench @ 100 to 200 yds with cast boolits. Is the 7TCU a good choice in a factory barrel ? I have done a search on the 7TCU here and there seems to be varying opinions and experiences with that cartridge as one would expect. Is there a better choice of caliber for this purpose?

I see a lot of 7 TCU's for sale and wonder about the accuracy with lead.
I would appreciate any input as far as barrel length, twist, scope choice and overall choices on the Contender goes.

Thanks, Longone

7br
08-22-2012, 10:13 AM
Well, I shoot a lot of silhouette with this cartridge. The RCBS 145 with SR4759 works pretty well. I can get an honest 2 1/2" group at 100 yards with it.

Longone
08-22-2012, 10:18 AM
Is that with a factory barrel? I went to a gun shop over the weekend and looked at a 223 barrel with my Hawkeye bore scope and was amazed how short and sharp an angle the leade was on the lands.
I was thinking it might need a throat job to shoot cast better. Just my initial thought.

Longone

Shuz
08-22-2012, 10:38 AM
I shot the 7mmTCU for many years in IHMSA competition. It handles J bullets and cast boolits very well with H-322 powder. With cast, I used the Saeco 070 nominal 145g boolit. I found it a very easy cartridge to load for once the initial brass was necked up to 7mm. A key to this is using a resizing die, like the Redding, that has a tapered expander ball. I would loose maybe 2 cases out of 100 and reached the 7mm size in one pass.

Ed K
08-22-2012, 10:52 AM
Probably not a better cartridge for your stated purpose. Factory barrels can be very good. If you find a factory barrel with shortcomings though, bear in mind that custom makers produce barrels on premium blanks chambered and throated to your specs for only a modest increase in cost so beware of having to work on/spend money on a factory barrel.

bobthenailer
08-24-2012, 02:06 PM
The 7 tcu i had shot jacketed as well as you could ask ! With lead it refused to shoot under 3 inches at 100 yards , i tried 3 different cast bullets & about 6 powders, i gave up and lent the barrel to a friend for hunting my barrel had a long throat the bullet was almost out of the case before it hit the rifleing using cast bullets in the 140 to 160 gr range .
Just for thought My 7 IHSMA XP-100 will do better than 1 inch at 100yards with the same cast bullets used in the TCU.

44man
08-24-2012, 02:15 PM
A super great round. Very accurate. I don't like many TC's because of so many differences in dimensions but that thing will shoot.
It will come down to the individual barrel.

Wayne S
08-24-2012, 02:17 PM
first of all, how many 7 MM molds over 140 gn.do you own ?, How many 30 Cal. molds over 150 Gn. do you own ?
Given your desire "paper patching at 100 & 200 yds with cast bullets" with a factory bbl. my choice would be a 14" 30-30.
I'm testing cast in a 14" 7 TCU bbl. and so far it doesn't group at 100 yds, nearly as well as my 30-30 bbl.

Longone
08-24-2012, 06:43 PM
One question I have about the 7mm TCU barrels is the twist. If someone knows or could check that I would appreciate it. Leade angles and twist can be the difference between lead and jacketed working well.
Longone

Junior1942
08-24-2012, 07:43 PM
Both my 10" and my 14" 7mm TCU Contender barrels are 1 - 9 twist. With cast, figure 2" 100 yard 3-shot groups. With jacketed, sub 1" is ridiculously easy. Circa 1/2" is common.

Wayne S
08-24-2012, 08:02 PM
One question I have about the 7mm TCU barrels is the twist. If someone knows or could check that I would appreciate it. Leade angles and twist can be the difference between lead and jacketed working well.
Longone
The early TCU bbls came with a 1-10 twist. These came with a post type front sight, the later ones came with the blade type front sight and show two screws. I just got my 2nd bbl. that has the post type, I haven't checked the twist in it because the difference between a 1-9 and a 1-10 twist over the spectrum of length's of 140 + gn 7 cast bullets. doesn't mean squat. The most important measurements will be the throat Dia. and if you can contact the riflings with a seated bullet.
AND since you didn't bother to answer my question about your collection of 7 MM molds, well so be it.

Longone
08-25-2012, 12:43 AM
AND since you didn't bother to answer my question about your collection of 7 MM molds, well so be it.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, zero 7mm molds and 3, 30 molds over 150 grain. So if you really feel that enamored with the 30-30 do you have a 30 Herrett? Would that be as good a choice as the 30 -30?

This (as you can tell) will be my first Contender purchase and I really want to get a caliber that has the potential to shoot cast well and not take my hand off. I can always select another caliber that will shoot jacketed well at these distances but where is the challenge there? A 6mm TCU might be in the future as well but I presently don't own a mold for that either.

Longone

Longone
08-25-2012, 12:45 AM
Are the powder choices mentioned THE powders for the 7mm TCU ? I don't want to buy 5 different powders that I'll never use if I can help it.

Longone

big dale
08-25-2012, 04:41 AM
I have had a couple of contenders thru the years. My 7mm I never bothered to use cast boolits in it cause with jacketed it always grouped in less than 3/4 inch at 100 yards from a rest.

I prefered the 30/30 to the 30 Herrett. Be very careful with your die adjustment with these guns....if you don't you may have to get the frame replaced.

I have had about a dozen different barrels for these contenders and the 7TCU was by far my favorite. There is something I just love about a handgun that easily groups within one inch at 100 yards with just about any load.

Just thinking about this makes me want to get another 7 TCU again.

Have fun with this stuff.

Big Dale

Got-R-Did
08-25-2012, 08:55 AM
Since scopes haven't yet been discussed, I can recommend the earlier Simmons 2.5-7X28 EER scopes if you can find one. Barring that, the newer generation of Simmons 2-6 EER is a good choice as is the Bushnell 2-6 EER. If you have somewhat deeper pockets, the Burris 2-7 EER is a very good investment. If money is no object, then look to Leupold's 2.5-8 EER.
I love my 7T/CU Super 14 bbl, in spite of the somewhat generous chamber it came with. Jacketed bullets easily produce 1" or better groups if I am having a good day. Can't yet comment on cast, but I now have some 145 RNGCs from a good friend to try.
I took a really nice 8 pt Buck a few years back with a 120 Nosler BT bullet at just over 100 yds from my stand. He was down within 20 yds, complete pass through rib to rib with remarkable damage to both lungs/top of heart.
You are going to love this cartridge. I haven't found it to be particularly picky about propellants.
Final note is that I use Imperial Sizing Die Wax to form my cases in a single pass, Redding dies, and did not lose a single casing upon forming. I did, however, use new cases back then due to how cheap new brass was. Even today, it is worth dedicating new cases to this endeavor, and 100 cases will last you a looooong time.
Got-R-Did.

44man
08-25-2012, 09:28 AM
Chambers and throats would vary in TC's and I seen some rough barrels that would foul fast but darn it, most can shoot. I just hate the grips with my large knuckle.
I had the 10" 30-30 for a long time and I could shoot pennies at 100 yards from a rest with a scope. I used the RCBS 308-165-SIL
I would think the 7TCU would also shoot cast great. My friend has a great one but will not part with it.
I still have an MOA in 7BR and a Wichita 7R that someday I will make a mold for.
Here are 2 of the coins the 30-30 shot at 100. I shot a lot of money with the gun! :mrgreen:

Ed K
08-25-2012, 09:30 AM
If you get a custom barrel you can specify any twist you want...

I don't deny factory barrels can and will shoot. I know that have set records. My experience is that there is either significant lot-to-lot variation on factory barrels or in some cases, revolver pistol rounds for instance, they use a reamer that is not conducive to a good shooting throat. So rather than experience the frustration of working up loads until frustrated and then working with TC to get a warranty replacement I just gravitated to customs in general. You can specify barrel blank, chamber/throat dimensions, twist, barrel profile, length, scope/sight drilling and tapping, etc. Unlike a pricy custom gun, this sets you back $100 or so. Worth it in my opinion but I'll restate I've seen factory barrels shoot very well too.

big dale
08-25-2012, 01:24 PM
I forgot to mention my scope...When I bought the 10 inch 7 TCU barrel it had a Leupold 2 power pistcol scope mounted on the barrel and it always worked great so I did not buy another pistol scope till I bought a Super Redhawk that also had a Leupold 2 power scope mounted on it. It never gave me any problems either. I suspect that if I ever buy another pistol scope it will be anotjher Leupold ...why change what works great?

I also forgot to mention recoil. The 7 TCU feels like it has a lot less recoil than the 30/30 does. I never found the 44 Mag much fun to shoot in a contender either but I still love to shoot it in my Super Blackhawk.

Have fun with this stuff.

Big Dale

7br
08-27-2012, 09:31 AM
One thing I forgot to mention is the 7tcu does tend to bark real loud with ball powders. Being beside one with full snort loads is not pleasant. A few years back, I thought I was shooting silhouettes up by Kansas City. I thought the blast from the gun gun next to me was going to lift me right off of the ground. I asked what he was shooting and it was a 7tcu with a caseful of WW748. The odd thing was, I was shooting the same load and it seemed fine from behind the trigger.

44man
08-27-2012, 10:27 AM
One thing I forgot to mention is the 7tcu does tend to bark real loud with ball powders. Being beside one with full snort loads is not pleasant. A few years back, I thought I was shooting silhouettes up by Kansas City. I thought the blast from the gun gun next to me was going to lift me right off of the ground. I asked what he was shooting and it was a 7tcu with a caseful of WW748. The odd thing was, I was shooting the same load and it seemed fine from behind the trigger.
Try 335! [smilie=1: