PDA

View Full Version : Hooooweeeee!!!!!

Woody3
08-21-2012, 11:53 PM
After many months of lurking here, reading the cast boolit manual by Lyman many times and some encouragement from my lovely wife, I finally cast my own tonight. What an awesome feeling!!! My first two were VERY frosty because I left my mold in the melt for to long but after that it was smooth sailing.

I know pictures are worth a thousand words. I had to run out real quick but I'll post some in about 30 min. I just couldn't wait to pass on my story and excitement.

Woody

Keep your head low and your powder dry.

Woody3
08-22-2012, 12:17 AM

Gliden07
08-22-2012, 12:25 AM
Those look GREAT!! Just did my first ones a couple weeks ago too. I know how you feel!!

frankenfab
08-22-2012, 12:27 AM
Congratulations and good job! You're hooked, huh?��

WILCO
08-22-2012, 12:39 AM
That's great Woody! Try not to cast up thousands at a time. It'll be less painful to remelt them if you find you've overlooked little things like rounded boolit bases or puffy driving bands.........there's a reason why I know this.

jmsj
08-22-2012, 12:40 AM
Those look really good!
Welcome to our addiction. I don't think there will be any escape now.
Good luck, jmsj

warf73
08-22-2012, 02:20 AM
Very nice job welcome to crazy town.

HighHook
08-22-2012, 04:26 AM
Yep! Your hooked just like the the rest of us. They look great.

PbHurler
08-22-2012, 07:47 AM
Isn't self-sufficiency a wonderful feeling Woody?
Welcome to the madness.

Woody3
08-22-2012, 08:52 AM
Thanks guys. I plan on sticking with the ones I cast last night. Shooting them, and making adjustments as needed.

What an awesome feeling. :D

44man
08-22-2012, 09:03 AM
Thanks guys. I plan on sticking with the ones I cast last night. Shooting them, and making adjustments as needed.

What an awesome feeling. :D

You are a great addition to to us that breath and think lead all day. 8-)

Jim
08-22-2012, 09:12 AM
Woody, I enjoy your enthusiasm. After thirty years at it, I still look at a tray full of newly cast boolits and think "Dang, Jim, that ain't half bad!"

gray wolf
08-22-2012, 09:29 AM
Now that's what I call a job well done.
Shoot-em and make more.
Get another pistol so you can get another mold, so you can shoot more and make more.
I know it's about bullets and casting, but this stood out in your post

>>>>>>> and some encouragement from my lovely wife, <<<<<<<
(

sundog
08-22-2012, 09:58 AM
I went to the range Sunday afternoon to zero a scope, then on to a pissola range, whereupon I was rewarded with hundreds of 9mm and 45 acp brass. This stuff was 'onceit farred', apparently straight from the box it was packed in at the ammo plant.

So, the whole time I'm thinking, "what am I gonna cast and load these with?"

How intensely boring it would be to live life going to work to make money to buy factory made ammo and leave the brass lying on the ground. And then go back to work to make more money to buy more ammo only to, yet again, leave the brass lying on the ground.

And to be so limited that when the box is empty, you HAVE to go back to work, yet again...

I'm thinking it, so I might as well say it. Thank you, Lord, for the folks who live this way.

Woody, ya done good. Keep it up!

felix
08-22-2012, 10:30 AM
Hey, I saw that stuff laying on the ground all the way down here! Yeah, dreams do come true. Sometimes. ... felix

Woody3
08-22-2012, 03:21 PM
You all are very kind. Thank you for the kind words but most importantly, thank you for the wealth of knowledge you've been so willing to share.

MtGun44
08-22-2012, 08:32 PM
Congrats! Welcome to the land of custom ammo, made to your personal, exact specifications
for your personal firearms.

Bill

Grandpas50AE
08-22-2012, 08:42 PM
Really nice job Woody. Sounds like you have a wife that is a real keeper, better hang on to that one.

Blammer
08-23-2012, 11:25 AM
Great job! that's about 50 more than I cast my first time. :)

1Shirt
08-23-2012, 03:05 PM
Good for you! Hang tough as you have a good start!
1Shirt!

GRid.1569
08-23-2012, 04:03 PM
Welcome aboard... the obsession has just began...

You'll know from looking around here there's lots of guys who'll give good advice...

Keep your pot hot and the lead stashed....

rintinglen
08-23-2012, 09:03 PM
Woody, I enjoy your enthusiasm. After thirty years at it, I still look at a tray full of newly cast boolits and think "Dang, Jim, that ain't half bad!"
Me too!
I feel happy at having made my own boolits, knowing that they cost me much less than the store bought ones. Yet it is much more than that.

There is a sense of self sufficiency that enters in to it as well, knowing that I can turn my 30-30 into a squirrel rifle, a deer rifle or anything in betwen just by buying another mold. Then there are those great old wall-hangers that really need cast boolits loaded gently to be safe. Some guns you can't shoot if you don't reload, and some guns have no bullets readily available. There is the satisfaction of a job well done, lining up the rows of well cast boolits and visualizing the shooting fun to come. And finally, there is the "me time" aspect. In our often hectic lives, finding time to do a little bit of something "just for me" can be very difficult.

Good job on your casting--much nicer than my first tries--and welcome to the addiction.