PDA

View Full Version : Another thing I like about Lee Dies...

missionary5155
08-21-2012, 09:51 PM
Greetings
You ever had a boolit seating die with too narrow a channel to recieve a fat diameter boolit for a fat throated barrel ?
I see this condition all too much as I try to keep old rifles shooting straight. With a Lee boolit seater it is a simple task to unscrew the seater stem and ream out that little passage down below. Just finished up my Lee 33 Winchester seater die and now it is a breeze to seat .340+ boolits for a fat throated 1920's 1886 33 Winchester that I have about this place.
Mike in ILL.

Catshooter
08-21-2012, 10:10 PM
That's a good point Mike. I'll try to remember it. :)

Cat

Longwood
08-21-2012, 10:19 PM
Instead of buying allthread or fine thread bolts to make my special dies,, I now use some of the Lee dies after tossing the innerds.
Almost the same price and a lot less machining.

Wayne Smith
08-22-2012, 05:16 PM
Mike, I had that problem with my 8x56R Steyr set. I sent them back to Lee to ream them out, they called me to question that I really needed it, then did it. They work fine now.

missionary5155
08-22-2012, 09:52 PM
Howdy Wayne
If I did not have the reamers I would send them back also. But with reamers on hand it takes but a little time when I know exactly the diameter I will need.
Mike in ILL.

largom
08-23-2012, 08:00 AM
I do the exactly same thing only I do it with Hornady seating dies. The good part about Hornady dies is their use of a sliding sleeve which holds the case, the boolit, and the seating stem all inline for more accurate seating. To be honest, I don't ream the original sleeve, I make new ones for the size needed with matching seating stems. I make seating stems with a nose profile like top punches to match different cast boolits.

Larry

missionary5155
08-23-2012, 04:35 PM
Greetings
Where would cast shooters be without reamers, emery cloth and lapping compound !
Mike in ILL.