PDA

View Full Version : Would you pay $500 for a 2 cavity mold with 1 cavity hollowpointed?

sig2009
08-21-2012, 05:51 PM
Looks like some idiot thinks it is worth it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290761012867?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2F i.html%3F_sadis%3D200%26_ipg%3D50%26LH_SALE_CURREN CY%3D0%26_sacat%3D0%26_samihi%3D%26_samilow%3D%26_ fpos%3D%26_ftrt%3D901%26_udhi%3D%26_oexkw%3D%26_sa bdhi%3D%26_ftrv%3D1%26_udlo%3D%26_sabdlo%3D%26_adv %3D1%26_sop%3D12%26_dmd%3D1%26_okw%3D%26_fsct%3D%2 6_nkw%3D290761012867%26_rdc%3D1

adrians
08-21-2012, 06:08 PM
no!!!!

PS Paul
08-21-2012, 06:10 PM
Ha-Ha!! Despite the fact this is a rare and sought-after mould, I would NEVER. Especially considering there are several who can make an HP mould out of an existing mould of varied manufacture. With great results!! Nevertheless, it is likely there is someone out there who just needs this mould and is willing to pay virtually ANY price to add to their collection!

As they say, one is born every day!!;)

no34570
08-21-2012, 06:21 PM
You got to be joking?
No way!

MtGun44
08-21-2012, 06:53 PM
Calling people idiots when you have absolutely no idea of the facts of the case is
pretty foolish behavior. He may be a collector, he may have been looking for it for
a long time, apparently the person has some particular reason why they think it is
reasonable. Not the least of which is foreign buyers that find that they have no way
to buy certain molds in their country at normal stores.

Being surprised is certainly a normal response, I personally would never pay that
much for a mold, but calling someone an idiot is not appropriate.

Bill

paul h
08-21-2012, 06:54 PM
After getting my first mihec mold, I would never purchase a single cavity pin type hp mold.

Love Life
08-21-2012, 06:57 PM
I would if it was solid silver.

sig2009
08-21-2012, 07:35 PM
Calling people idiots when you have absolutely no idea of the facts of the case is
pretty foolish behavior. He may be a collector, he may have been looking for it for
a long time, apparently the person has some particular reason why they think it is
reasonable. Not the least of which is foreign buyers that find that they have no way
to buy certain molds in their country at normal stores.

Being surprised is certainly a normal response, I personally would never pay that
much for a mold, but calling someone an idiot is not appropriate.

Bill

First of all the guy bidding on the mold is an idiot! Second. If you knew anything about collecting which it appears you do not if he mold was in it's original form it may be worth money. Being that it's originality and worth was lost because one cavity was hollowpointed and it is no longer original. Thirdly I buy my molds and a lot of casters on this forum buy them from Slovenia which is overseas in another country. Thirdly no mention of any persons name was made other than the bidder who's name is not known. Fourthly. If someone cuts me off in traffic without knowing their name I would call them an idiot! So please move on. There is nothing for you to see here.

MarcusT
08-21-2012, 08:55 PM
I really wish I had some stuff to sell to these crazy bidders on there.

GP100man
08-21-2012, 09:20 PM
WoW!! & wow !!

Master Chief
08-21-2012, 09:52 PM
Insane !!
Amazing what folks caught up in a bidding war will do.

wallenba
08-21-2012, 10:12 PM
No, but I'd like to make friends with the guy who did. I got some real bargains for sale.

jonas302
08-21-2012, 10:17 PM
Wow Sig If I was a moderator you would be out the door get some manners

An auction determines the buying price get over it people we don't need a new post about it every day

btroj
08-21-2012, 10:31 PM
First of all the guy bidding on the mold is an idiot! Second. If you knew anything about collecting which it appears you do not if he mold was in it's original form it may be worth money. Being that it's originality and worth was lost because one cavity was hollowpointed and it is no longer original. Thirdly I buy my molds and a lot of casters on this forum buy them from Slovenia which is overseas in another country. Thirdly no mention of any persons name was made other than the bidder who's name is not known. Fourthly. If someone cuts me off in traffic without knowing their name I would call them an idiot! So please move on. There is nothing for you to see here.

I would tend to agree with Bill on this.

Saying you wouldn't do something is one thing, calling them an idiot is another. You have no knowledge of his motivation. I don't either. Because I know nothing I refrain from making gold statements about the bidders intellect.

Saying "I can't believe anyone would pay is much" is much different from calling them an idiot.

gbrown
08-21-2012, 10:45 PM
Way down there someplace is my thread about 'Crazy people on Ebay'. Got a few people stirred up. Seems like some just gotta have that something that nobody else has, and have enough money to do it. On Ebay right now is a Model 70, prewar floorplate and trigger guard--$465.00, last I looked. What is there to say?
I had to come back and edit this to add: I have many friends who are more financially endowed than I am. I know people who have more "big boy toys" and neat stuff than I have. I do not begrudge them what they have, nor do I, as the Good Book says, covet their possessions. I am very happy to be who I am and possess what I have. I'm blessed, is all I can say. Kind of like my quote.
One other thing. We may not all agree, but I think expressing one's opinion is right up there with the 2nd Amendment. For you naysayers, Sig is expressing his opinion. I may not agree or feel it was said correctly, but he still has the right.
Had to come back, that 70 floorplate and trigger guard are up to $511.50 @ 10:30PM--worth watching!

waksupi
08-21-2012, 11:28 PM
Some real good advise was given by a couple posters on this thread.

Fishman
08-21-2012, 11:52 PM

Sig, you simply MUST slow down on that caffeine intake :). Bill is right, you are wrong. It happens.

Longwood
08-22-2012, 12:21 AM
Since no body knows why the price went so high or even if the mold was ever paid for and shipped,, I don't understand why such a big deal is constantly being made over something people know nothing about.

nvbirdman
08-22-2012, 01:21 AM
I just finished reading all the comments on this post.
I feel like an idiot.

shotman
08-22-2012, 01:31 AM
Look at the bidder list You can bet its the same person just bidding it up It will show back up some time later
If you what to see how they bid stuff up look at coins.

Rangefinder
08-22-2012, 01:43 AM
Look at the bidder list You can bet its the same person just bidding it up It will show back up some time later
If you what to see how they bid stuff up look at coins.

Please explain. Last time I checked, you have a max bid and nothing happens until it's challenged. Someone bidding that get's outed by someone else with a higher max bid isn't bidding it up--it just means the challenger didn't bid high enough to take the highest bid. each time they try, it shows up.

Idaho Sharpshooter
08-22-2012, 01:54 AM
I'd pay that, if it were made out of platinum instead of cast iron.

otherwise...

Rich
Sua Sponte

Longwood
08-22-2012, 02:04 AM
Please explain. Last time I checked, you have a max bid and nothing happens until it's challenged. Someone bidding that get's outed by someone else with a higher max bid isn't bidding it up--it just means the challenger didn't bid high enough to take the highest bid. each time they try, it shows up.

Right.
All of that happens at the end of the auction because some people still think it will work to wait until the last few seconds before they bid.
I think the reason some think there was a bidding war is how the electronic bids work. If a challenging bidder jumps it quite a bit, it goes back and forth a dollar at a time so that it looks like a war.

Rangefinder
08-22-2012, 02:15 AM
Right.
All of that happens at the end of the auction because some people still think it will work to wait until the last few seconds before they bid.

And sometimes it does. Got several things that way--dropping in my max bid in the last 10 seconds. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Seems to me the guy holding the current bid just wants it pretty darn bad and the other guy keeps feeling things out to see where the limit is. Personally, I'm just curious to see how far they'll take it. Both are showing 100% positive feedback and the guy with the current bid also took a Lyman "Keith" mold HP 1-cav for $280 and an H&G 6-cav not long ago for over $300. Seems to me he wants what he wants and has the money to get it. Good enough for me.

Longwood
08-22-2012, 02:27 AM
And sometimes it does. Got several things that way--dropping in my max bid in the last 10 seconds. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Seems to me the guy holding the current bid just wants it pretty darn bad and the other guy keeps feeling things out to see where the limit is. Personally, I'm just curious to see how far they'll take it. Both are showing 100% positive feedback and the guy with the current bid also took a Lyman "Keith" mold HP 1-cav for $280 and an H&G 6-cav not long ago for over $300. Seems to me he wants what he wants and has the money to get it. Good enough for me.

I get beat at the last second sometimes.
The same bid would have beat me two weeks before also.

H.Callahan
08-22-2012, 11:14 AM
I guess I am in the camp that doesn't see a problem with this. If someone wants to drop large sums of money on something that he really wants and actually has the cash to do it, then more power to him(/her). The buyer is happy and gets what he wanted and the seller is probably ecstatic because he got a windfall.

You just have to remember that there ARE people out there to which $500 is chump change. Unfortunately, I am NOT one of them, but if I were, I sure wouldn't let a few hundred get between me and ownership of something I wanted.

Longwood
08-22-2012, 11:18 AM
I guess I am in the camp that doesn't see a problem with this. If someone wants to drop large sums of money on something that he really wants and actually has the cash to do it, then more power to him(/her). The buyer is happy and gets what he wanted and the seller is probably ecstatic because he got a windfall.

You just have to remember that there ARE people out there to which $500 is chump change. Unfortunately, I am NOT one of them, but if I were, I sure wouldn't let a few hundred get between me and ownership of something I wanted.

Prolly those Nigerians that bought your horse and gave you that huge over payment for it.:violin:

Rangefinder
08-22-2012, 11:22 AM
Longwood---no offense, but I get the feeling you're either chapped because someone else has $500 they don't mind dropping on a mold, or you're chapped because it's not a mold you're selling that's fetching a $500 payment. Either way, it's not going to change the situation.

novalty
08-22-2012, 11:24 AM
I would pay $500 for a mold like that..if it meant the person would take the gun away from my head.

Longwood
08-22-2012, 11:34 AM
Longwood---no offense, but I get the feeling you're either chapped because someone else has $500 they don't mind dropping on a mold, or you're chapped because it's not a mold you're selling that's fetching a $500 payment. Either way, it's not going to change the situation.

Nope and Nope.
I have not been chapped (???) as you say.
I figured out Ebay long ago and like it very much. 168 items to date. That is if Fedex ever gets the last parcel to me. Three days overdue and their tracking site says they are sending it back. :veryconfu
Do I waste my time sitting and waiting for an auction to end? Nope again,,, they notify me by email when I won and that is the only time I care. If I loose, I simply bid on the next one.
I do OK financially and sure don't piss around with trying to make a few pennies from ebay. If I sell stuff,,, I sell it here, where people really want a good deal. I must admit that I don't care much for the members here that buy stuff here then put it up for sale at a huge markup.

bowfin
08-22-2012, 12:27 PM
No.

If I had unlimited money, I don't think I would cast or reload.

However, if I am to shoot as much as I would like with my sons, I'll be doing both for the forseeable future.

sig2009
08-22-2012, 02:50 PM
Some real good advise was given by a couple posters on this thread.

I just read the comments again and didn't see anything! Just kidding. You guys are right. I will not call someone a child molestor or convicted murderer or drunk driver for fear of hurting their feelings. That way I can be 100% politically correct in this country that is slowly going down the sewer!

Rangefinder
08-22-2012, 02:58 PM
I just read the comments again and didn't see anything!

Then I'll point it out to you in basic English. Your opinion of what someone else thinks is valuable does not make them an idiot--it clearly defines you as ignorant, however.

sig2009
08-22-2012, 03:02 PM
Then I'll point it out to you in basic English. Your opinion of what someone else thinks is valuable does not make them an idiot--it clearly defines you as ignorant, however.

Oh. I see how this works now. It's ok for you to call me names but not for me to express my opinion. Looks like you have never read the 1st ammendment to the constitution. I would suggest you pick it up and give it a read. You might learn something.

Rangefinder
08-22-2012, 03:13 PM
And here comes the "ignore" button... :D

Hamish
08-22-2012, 03:26 PM
Oh. I see how this works now. It's ok for you to call me names but not for me to express my opinion. Looks like you have never read the 1st ammendment to the constitution. I would suggest you pick it up and give it a read. You might learn something.

This is not some random streetcorner in Small Town, USA, it's a virtual construct and you are a guest here, just like the rest of us. Take it for what you consider it's worth.

waksupi
08-22-2012, 03:37 PM
I have a whole pocketful of infractions I haven't used yet. Your choice, guys.

shotman
08-22-2012, 05:19 PM
ric
lock it
just what I think

sparky45
08-22-2012, 05:50 PM
I just wish I had $500 to spend on the mold, it would go real well with it's twin.

btroj
08-22-2012, 06:28 PM
I have a whole pocketful of infractions I haven't used yet. Your choice, guys.

Please do.

btroj
08-22-2012, 06:30 PM

This site has long been known as a place where discussions are held in a polite, civil manner.

Name calling is not generally tolerated by most site members.

We are guests in someone else's home here. Please behave accordingly.

I do not feel that is asking too much.