PDA

View Full Version : Nuclear stress test, heart monitors and Home Security

trooperdan
08-21-2012, 04:46 PM
I had my annual stress test today, got shot up with a radio-isotope, fitted with a heart monitor and cut loose.. kinda a tag and release program. I of course asked the tech if he had any lead containers in his way and he told me all his were tungsten! That was a surprise!

I then asked if I would trip any radiation detectors and he assured me that for the next 48 hours I should avoid airports and trash dumps! "Trash dumps" I asked? Yep, he says the dumps have detectors to prevent folks disposing of radioactive material!

I was wearing a t-shirt with a large pic of a FN-FAL on the front, I asked him if he thought I would be safe in stopping for a cup of coffee somewhere.. large ugly guy, radio-active, wires concealed under a gun t-shirt! I should at least get a "get out of jail free" card like I got for my titanium knee!

MtGun44
08-21-2012, 06:29 PM
Believe that you will set off radiation detectors anywhere you go for quite a while. Hope your
health turns out to be OK.

Bill

WILCO
08-22-2012, 10:53 AM
Believe that you will set off radiation detectors anywhere you go for quite a while. Hope your
health turns out to be OK.

Bill

Ditto for me.

nicholst55
08-22-2012, 10:57 AM
+1; we'll be thinking of you!

gsdelong
08-22-2012, 11:14 AM
Hope you are okay. And my scrapyard has a radiation detector also.

375RUGER
08-22-2012, 11:56 AM
I wonder if the small town dumps have the radiation detectors and if the medical industry can still dump what they want.
One time a tech inadvertently sent out some slightly contaminated trash to the local dump. Really low level radiation stuff. Anyway, a team of rad techs spent some time going through the dump to find this contaminated material. Luckily in a town of 1500 not a lot of trash is generated.
They found oodles of highly radioactive medical waste in the dump that was perfectly legal to dump. The medical stuff was a hundred fold + more radioacive than the 1 piece of trash they were hunting for.
This was more than 20 years ago.

mold maker
08-22-2012, 02:14 PM
The Doc had me try the tread mill, and my legs could hold up long enough. Next he had me do the nuclear test. I passed it with flying colors. Then he ask what was wrong with my legs.
Duh! That's what I been going to him for, Near 9 years of treatment and he don't remember what for?????????
I might need a younger Dr.

opos
08-22-2012, 06:44 PM
Because of my phony right knee they do the nuclear scan with the chemical to speed my heart up....wow!!....they give me a little card to carry that says I've had a nuclear test in case I should inadvertently trip a detector anywhere...they said I'm "hot" for about 3 days.

Kent Fowler
08-22-2012, 07:05 PM
I got a nuclear stress test two weeks before we went on a trip to the Big Bend area last year. Nurse handed me a letter saying I would need if if we crossed the river and as I had no plans to enter Mexico, I left the letter at home. Got stopped at the checkpoint on Hwy 90 on the other side of Langtry and set the radiation alarms off. Had a little heated argument with the over officious 18 yr old agent as to whether I was gonna **** a nuke warhead or not. Guess a 60 year old Texas couple driving a Buick look like terrorists to some people.

429421Cowboy
08-23-2012, 01:06 PM
Have had the isotope scan twice so far, and that sure is a weird feeling! I hope everything turns out ok for you.

popper
08-23-2012, 01:42 PM
chemical to speed my heart up....wow!! Did the treadmill thing once. Bum knee and I just about fell off. Now I get the chemical. Got the afib fixed 5 yrs ago and haven't been back since. Last yrs medicare physical was OK, this year, just eye,ear,throat, rectum and blood. Not even a pee test. Guess that is how they balance the budget now. Actually, I think the doc is ticked cause I don't take all the prescriptions he writes for me. He thinks I have COPD cause I smoke, but I've gone hiking in the Rockies the last 6 years without problems. Yea, I'm slower with a bad knee and almost 70 yrs., not going to try Long's peak, but the wife wants to. I'll wait for her when she's done.

smokeywolf
08-23-2012, 01:53 PM
Hate that chemical that speeds up the heart. Gives me a similar feeling to low blood sugar. Compared to the treadmill with the chemical, the radioactive isotope scan was a walk in the park.

Sasquatch-1
08-23-2012, 02:28 PM
M wife, who works at the National Institute of Standard and Technology, Had one doe a while back. When she went back to work the policemen at the gate told her she was giving off a radioactive singnal. When he checked the guage it actually had a "medical" reading, which she was registering.

Sensai
08-23-2012, 03:46 PM
I have to have one every year. I work at a nuclear power plant. Imagine the fun! Even with the card and the tag on my ID I don't get a lot of work done for about a week afterwards. I spend too much time explaining and answering questions.

popper
08-23-2012, 05:19 PM
Sensai - How does that affect your dosimeter reading?