PDA

View Full Version : getting back to shooting a m/l. the problem is..

Throckmorton
08-21-2012, 02:36 PM
the problem is the t/c Hawken I inherited was put away not meant for long term storage.the last 7" of barrel was REALLY crudded up..rust,bp,etc.
I scubbed for 2 solid hours,and it's better but not 'good'. When I put a ball down the barrel I can feel the roughness.
Only shot a few rounds to see her shoot,next time out I'll try for accuracy. anyone think there will actually be any kind of accuracy with the barrel the way it is? I do see rifling down there with the plug removed,but the fact that I can feel it when seating the ball makes me wonder.
btw,the rest of the rifling looks real good.
Looking forward to shooting my later brother's 30 something year old deer harvester. !

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v30/Throckmorton/IMG_2794.jpg

docone31
08-21-2012, 03:15 PM
If that rust is an issue, then get a Lee R.E.A.l. mold, and use valve grinding compound for lube for a few rounds or more.
I had a rusty pipe for a barrel, did that and she is a real winner now.
In my case, the previous owner had left it loaded for 20yrs in an humid environment.
Real rusty.

Leslie Sapp
08-21-2012, 03:22 PM
When you say "the last 7 inches" do you mean at the breech? It may not affect accuracy much. Shoot it and find out. Keep soaking it in oil and scrubbing it in between, while shooting it every chance you get. It'll probably clean up and shoot better than the average person can, anyway.

Throckmorton
08-21-2012, 04:36 PM
yep,the breech end of the barrel.got it looking pretty good,gonna shoot it some more today,then do some more cleaning.
re: the R.E.A.L. bullets,does it take a sledge hammer to get them things down the bore? I do have a heavy duty 'range rod' for the rifle.
thanks !

docone31
08-21-2012, 04:45 PM
You won't need a sledge, but you can make good work with a plastic tipped hammer. Once is rifled, it goes down easily.
I put a crumpled patch in first, then the R.E.A.L.. Make sure it is on the charge.
Didn't take many shots.

Maven
08-21-2012, 04:49 PM
If the REAL or other conical, e.g., a T/C Maxi-Ball casts large enough from pure Pb (not wheelweights) to be engraved by the rifling, you won't need a great deal of force to seat it. OTOH, if it casts too small it will practically drop down the bbl. of its own weight, which isn't a good thing. Properly fitted conicals can be extremely accurate in T/C 1:48" twist bbls.