PDA

View Full Version : Revolver stock Material

Love Life
08-21-2012, 11:13 AM
Hello all. My brother is getting ready to come home from his 8th deployment, and while he was gone I swiped his favorite single action to get it all worked over (He is an aspiring Cowboy Action Shooter).

All smithing work is done, light engraving done, and I am stuck on stocks.

I have 2 materials in mind that I believe will really set this revolver apart and give him a big smile. The only problem is I have never played with any of the materials and don't know about durability.

The materials I have in mind are elephant ivory or buffalo horn.

What are the pro's and cons of the materials as stocks for a hardworn and hard used revolver?

felix
08-21-2012, 11:18 AM
Why being stuck? Get both flavors, and let him choose which one he will shoot with first!!! Be sure about your brother's aspirations first, though! Make sure he wants to be a cowboy, and not an accuracy nut, for example. ... felix

StrawHat
08-21-2012, 11:19 AM
I have not used buffalo horn as a grip material, so no comment.

Ivory, well I had a couple of knives handled with ivory and a couple of revolvers also. Nice feel in the hand and they seem to hold up to use well. Problem is, ivory is expensive. I have lately gone to what I call, American ivory, smooth stag grips. The look is similar to ivory, it is less money and the feel in the hand is fantastic.

Love Life
08-21-2012, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the info on the American Ivory Strawhat. I will give those a look.

Felix- Good points. I may wait until he gets home before taking care of the stocks. He has been putting everything together for years to do his shooting. Well except for his ammo. I take care of that under the threat of physical violence.

All I know is he hates rubber grips, and is not keen on wood. Hmmm.

Silver Jack Hammer
08-21-2012, 12:09 PM
The Boone Trading Company in Washington State does real ivory for $425.00 on a Colt, Rugers are probably a little cheaper to do. They also do imitation ivory grips. Ivory is more authentic to the frontier and a first to bragging rights and style points. I'm sorry I don't have much info to offer on Buffalo horn grips.

paul h
08-21-2012, 12:25 PM
While not a traditional material, you could consider mikarta. There are some forms that have interesting patterns such as linen mikarta or denim mikarta.

http://home.comcast.net/~tractiongrips/pwpimages/SpringfieldDenim.png

Silver Jack Hammer
08-21-2012, 07:01 PM
paul h leaves me thinkin' I miss understood the term "single action" in the original post. That thing in the pic wearing mikarta looks like the bottom feeder I wear in town.

paul h
08-21-2012, 07:12 PM
I couldn't find any pics of single actions with denim mikarta, and figured it was closer than showing a picture of a knife with mikarta scales.

Love Life
08-21-2012, 07:12 PM
I believe you had the right idea. It is a SAA Clone. Or as close as a Vaqero can get to being a clone.

StrawHat
08-22-2012, 10:55 AM
Wood, ivory, and American Ivory (smooth stag). Wood is obvious, ivory on the S&Ws, American Ivory on the Single actions.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc194/StrawHat/TopSixRevolvers003.jpg

A couple of single actions with smooth stag.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc194/StrawHat/Colt%20clones/SnubbieRevolvers.jpg

My favorite Model P

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc194/StrawHat/Colt%20clones/45Convertible006.jpg

Personally, I like all the grip materials, it just depends on which strikes my fancy at a given time.

scattershot
08-22-2012, 11:00 AM
paul h leaves me thinkin' I miss understood the term "single action" in the original post. That thing in the pic wearing mikarta looks like the bottom feeder I wear in town.

Well, when you think about it, that's a single action, too....

Silver Jack Hammer
08-22-2012, 11:22 AM
"Well, when you think about it, that's a single action, too.... " scattershot.

Ya, I guess I wasn't thinkin' when I saw the term "single action" in the original post. Some cowboy shooters use 1911's in the "Wild Bunch" catagory.

Anybody have any advice about buffalo horn grips?

Larry in MT
08-22-2012, 11:28 AM
These are ELK and have held up well so far. Had them for a year.

http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab176/larrykay47/82b11364.jpg

Char-Gar
08-22-2012, 11:31 AM
Buffalo Horn is thickly matted hair and can make nice things. But if it is not properly cured will shrink over time. I am dealing with an old Krag stock that has horn forend tip, grip cap and butt plate. All of these have shrank and pulled away from the wood, so I am not feeling too good about buffalo horn at this time.

Real ivory is wonderful, but costs an arm and a leg and is somewhat soft.

For a hard used sixgun, I would go with ivory micarta. This stuff is hard as my former mother-in-laws heart and resistance to all kinds of oils and solvents. Pretty stuff also when done right.

Salmoneye
08-22-2012, 12:47 PM
My favorite revolver grips so far are some that I made from Red Cedar...

Soft is not always 'bad'...

http://i45.tinypic.com/24gm35z.jpg

Love Life
08-22-2012, 03:46 PM
Those sure are nice Salmoneye. I have been looking at giving making a set of grips a try. I only have hand tools, but it looks very rewarding. Did you just go at it or did you have a reference book or teacher guide your way?

Salmoneye
08-22-2012, 04:14 PM
Those sure are nice Salmoneye. I have been looking at giving making a set of grips a try. I only have hand tools, but it looks very rewarding. Did you just go at it or did you have a reference book or teacher guide your way?

Got a bee in my bonnet one day, and just started sanding away...I had read on a couple of Ruger sites about other people doing it, so trying to beat the doldrums of a long Winter, I just went at it...The first few sets were a learning experience, and nothing to write home about...Started with some dry White Ash from my firewood pile, and progressed to Spalted Maple...

CaryC over on the RugerForum.com has a few posts floating around with good tips on drilling the locating pin hole, etc....If you are not into doing your own grips, that man does some excellent work!

The single best tool I have found (for me) is an oscillating spindle sander...I can get from raw wood to panels ready for hand sanding (polishing really) in a couple-three hours...Buying a cheap band-saw sure helped, though!

;-)

Another set I did that is now on a gun in Mississippi:

http://i43.tinypic.com/4rt076.jpg

Didn't mean to make your thread wander Love Life!

KCSO
08-22-2012, 04:25 PM
Buffalo or Bison that is the question. Both tend to shrink and check with age but Biison is the worst. Water buffalo isn't quite as bad but will still crack with age. I have a Bison horn powder horn and matchig knife and I have to keep them well rubbed down with linseed oil. I am constantly repairing or replacing horn grip caps and buttplates that have either split or gotten worm eaten. IF I had to make a set of grips from this I would try for Buffalo and pass on Bison.

If you can find real ivory and can prove it is legal be carefull grinding as the dust is a killer. I wouldn't use ivory as I had a set of scrimshawed teeth one time and had to carry documentation every where I went as every bunny cop I met wanted to confiscate them.

Love Life
08-22-2012, 04:38 PM
Looks like a no go on the buffalo horn then.

I am still thinking on the ivories. They do cost an arm and a leg, but I have been planning on doing this for him for a few years now and was prepared (sort of) for the sticker shock. I just don't want to get them put on and the knuckle head breaks them on his first outing. He is a big fella and reminds of Lenny from the classic novel. Maybe it is time to adjust fire and re-engage on grip materials.

Now I am interested in making some grips just cause.

Char-Gar
08-22-2012, 05:23 PM
If you are looking for some of the best quality ivory and fit, look at nutmegsports.com.

I think a fellow who has spent that much time in the sandbox deserves the best.

canyon-ghost
08-22-2012, 08:26 PM
Elk bone grips are almost like ivory, Elk stag has the brown to it.

http://grashornsgunworks.com/id5.html

I do have a set of Carey Chapman grips, exceptionally well done : http://clccustomgrips.com/

Love Life
08-23-2012, 07:43 PM
Thanks for all the tips and information. I checked out Nutmeg LLC website and they look like the place to go. I did a whole bunch of reading on ivory and it appears that standard maintenance with mineral oil for the 1st few years and then switch to renaissance wax from there. Seems like a good solid material as long as it isn't used as a hammer or dropped from high places. I am waiting on a reply back from Nutmeg LLC on strength and durability.

Hopefully I can make this happen. I can't wait to give it to him when he gets home followed by a swift elbow to the ribs. Now that is brotherly love.

StrawHat
08-23-2012, 10:15 PM
Love Life, For what it is worth, I made the one piece grips ont he two Single Action revolvers. Not to difficult and almost enjoyable. I plan on another set in the near future.

Greg B.
08-24-2012, 02:50 PM
I shoot cowboy action and find that when I am slip shooting my hands tend to slide a bit on the smooth rosewood grips of my Blackhawks especially if my hands are sweated up a bit. If I change the grips it will be with something that has some traction.

gnoahhh
08-24-2012, 03:11 PM
I feel that ivory just oozes class, especially when it ages to a mellow yellow like the grips on John Wayne's SAA. Be sure to take pics for us when it's done!

Char-Gar
08-24-2012, 05:03 PM
Dog gone it! You folks flung a craving on me. I just ordered a pair of Ivory grips for my Colt GM out from Nutmeg. I had a pair on another Colt but sold them 40 years ago during a dry spell in my bank account. I had always planned on replacing them, but never got my round tuit.

Love Life
08-24-2012, 05:31 PM
Glad we could help!!! There are many enablers on this forum that would not want to meet my accountant (Mrs. Love Life) in person!

MtGun44
08-27-2012, 12:01 AM
IME, Ajax stag grips are very hand filling and to my amazement, dramatically reduce the
felt recoil on my .45 LC Blackhawk. They add about 1/8"- 3/16" thickness on each side and
this extra flat area on either side of the backstrap has an amazingly beneficial effect
when shooting 285 gr Keiths over 23 gr of H110. This is a pretty serious load but very
comfortable with these grips. Unpleasant with the stock wood narrower grips. I never
expected this effect. I have medium large hands and the stock grips always feel too
small for me, these are just right, in addition to the unexpected recoil reduction effect.

Unfotunately, they are getting hard to find and quite expensive.

http://www.eaglegrips.com/guns/Sambar-Stag-For-Ruger-Vaquero-Blackhawk-and-the-Single-Six.html

Bill

TheGrimReaper
08-27-2012, 06:47 PM
My favorite revolver grips so far are some that I made from Red Cedar...

Soft is not always 'bad'...

http://i45.tinypic.com/24gm35z.jpg

Those are really pretty!!!

44man
08-30-2012, 01:27 PM
I love wood and ivory or horn is just so great. A rifle is just not a rifle with plastic.
But I shoot heavy stuff with revolvers and rubber---Yeah, ugly junk but it saves my knuckle.

Salmoneye
08-30-2012, 04:53 PM
I love wood and ivory or horn is just so great. A rifle is just not a rifle with plastic.
But I shoot heavy stuff with revolvers and rubber---Yeah, ugly junk but it saves my knuckle.

I had a set of Uncle Mike's rubber on my SBH...Then I started making a few sets of grips, and have never put the rubber back on...

Well fitted wood is such a pleasure compared to the shape of the stock Ruger wood...

At least for my hand...

PS Paul
08-30-2012, 06:08 PM
Hey, Larry in MT. I have that same NMB S/S Flattop 5 1/2" in .45 Colt from Lipsey's. They come with those nice faux-ivory grips, but I am considering a change. I like the elk horn grips on yours AND the red cedar on Salmoneye's. Maybe I just have to get another couple o' guns?? har har!!

Did you make the elk horn grips yourself? Very, very nice......

Bullet Caster
08-30-2012, 06:28 PM
Dick,

What a great guy you are always thinking of others. I'll bet your brother will like just about anything you come up with. I have always planned on doing SASS but I still don't have a coach gun yet. Maybe in the future.

Now you've got my interest up in making some grips for my SAA clone. My clone has distressed grips on it--they're wooden with a nice finish but I think some type of bone or antler would make some dandy grips. Let us know what you decide. BC

contender1
08-30-2012, 10:03 PM
I'm a little late to this thread,, but I'll throw out a few thoughts.
If the choice is between horn or ivory,, it'd have to be ivory by far. Truly a classic & will turn any handgun into a looker.
Caryc is THE expert on grip making.

If wood had to be an option,, I'd look at American Holly. It fools a lot of folks into thinking it's ivory.

Love Life
08-31-2012, 12:19 AM
Thank you for the kind words Rusty. I

44man
08-31-2012, 10:56 AM
I had a set of Uncle Mike's rubber on my SBH...Then I started making a few sets of grips, and have never put the rubber back on...

Well fitted wood is such a pleasure compared to the shape of the stock Ruger wood...

At least for my hand...
I feel the same, I build furniture once in a while and have built many custom guns and muzzle loaders. WOOD is where it is at. Ivory is so great too.
I will never deny that. Yet the loads I shoot and my large knuckle means I change out grips for shooting.
I recently shot a SBH with wood panels and my stupid knuckle hurt for three days. I have had blood spray from my knuckle.

Taylor
09-03-2012, 07:39 AM
I have used elk,l love it.Persimmon wood is great too,hard as wood pecker lips though.