PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of simplifying my handgun selections

palmettosunshine
08-20-2012, 10:01 PM
Hi everyone,

I have been giving some serious thought to simplifying my selection of handguns to .44 Special only. I currently have .38 special, .357, 9mm, .40, .380 and .44 Special.

My EDC Back Up Gun has been a S&W M&P 340 and I love the weight and size but I was thinking of a S&W 296 as my pocket carry and my Charter Arms Bulldog as my OWB or IWB (depending on clothing) primary piece. This would vastly simplify my reloading chores, cut down on the number of dies and Lee Loaders I use and casting would be a cinch since I love the Lee 200 gr RNFP boolit.

My CZ's, Glock and a Smith model 65-3, just to name a few would have to find new home but is that such a bad thing?

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

nicholst55
08-20-2012, 10:12 PM
Sounds like a plan to me! Last time I counted reloading dies, I had nearly 40 sets, including 35 different cartridges. Time to thin the herd.

jblee10
08-20-2012, 10:18 PM
I would give that some serious thought. There are some guns that I own because of the caliber. If the SHTF I want a common caliber, even if I feel there are better calibers for the job. 9mm, 223, etc.

palmettosunshine
08-20-2012, 10:23 PM
jblee10,

I hear you, I'm just wondering if there wouldn't be plenty of opportunity to "obtain" some common caliber guns if the SHTF.

jblee10
08-20-2012, 10:32 PM
I'm sure common caliber guns will be obtainable. But it could take valuable time. And with me, as much as I think the 9mm is pathetic. My CZ 75 is the best tool to shoot that pathetic round. Don't get rid of your CZ, ha, ha!!

scattershot
08-20-2012, 10:58 PM
Not trying to be confrontational, but why does the 9mm have a rep as being "pathetic", when the .38 Special +p is thought to be a real whiz-bang? It shoots the same bullet, only slower than the 9mm, and has 4-6 less rounds on tap.

jblee10
08-20-2012, 11:48 PM
I think the 9mm has a place and "pathetic" may have been to strong of a word. I wouldn't want to stand in front of the 9 or 38. With modern ammo there is not much difference. I even think a 22 has a place in defense. I gave my wife a 22 auto and taught her how to use it. And my CZ actually sold me on the versatility and accuracy of the 9mm. I probably wouldn't hunt deer with a 9mm, but I would with a 357 mag. I only have one 9mm and it is a full size model. I have a 45 that is easier to carry than my full size 9. But I'm still thinking about get one of the new small 9mm's for carry.

Zim
08-21-2012, 08:13 AM
Everything has a purpose. If that purpose is served by a different one, simplify. Or put it in the closet until you are comfortable with your choice. Opinions change, but you should be able to replace most anything.

Try it, you might l like it!

I too want to try the 44 special, but love my m36 too much. The old brown thing that it is (no dash 36 is older than me). My buddies don't agree with me & think i need a 40 (& 270 & 7 mm etc). I just smile. When they give me one, i will try it.

John in WI
08-21-2012, 08:31 AM
I'll admit having too much reloading gear and firearms is a problem I have never had!

My only concern with "downsizing" is that the only time I have ever needed to do that was because I was getting financially squeezed someplace else. If I had it, but didn't actually NEED it at the moment, I think I would be giving them a good coat of rust inhibitor and locking them up some place.

I could see getting rid of the reloading equipment for the very common calibers (.38, 9mm, .40) just because anywhere you look you can buy commercial ammo. I'm just not sure I would be getting rid of the handgun too. If you've already absorbed the cost and don't need the money. It always gets me upset having to sell something as you never get close to what you paid for it.

pmer
08-21-2012, 09:46 AM
I recently was in the same situation as palmettosunshine, is in. I had 6, 38 caliber firearms and a couple bolt actions I used for High Power and Long Range shooting.

IMO if your a collector you can't have too many guns but if you're a shooter it gets tuff keeping track which gun likes what load and keeping ammo seperate and ETC. And peoples tastes can change over the years too.

I kept my Model 36, Model 10, Model 19 and a Rossi Lever and traded a Model 27 and a Colt SAA.

I traded 4 and brought home 2 lever actions, got cash too and have'nt looked back. Simplified my inventory and have less to insure.

I would'nt try to buy anything during a SHTF because everything would cost 3 times more but if can reduce and simplify with out reducing your capabilities go for it.

garym1a2
08-21-2012, 10:13 AM
If down size is the goal I would keep the 357 and have one of the molds that could be sized to keep a 9mm feed. that way you could have a Glock 19 for when you need it.

RobS
08-21-2012, 10:37 AM
I did the same thing.........45 everything handgun wise. 45 auto's to 45 revolvers.....:-) Fewer molds, fewer dies and easier reloading just to name a few things. However there is also that voice in the back of the mind that nags at a person sometimes.

StrawHat
08-21-2012, 11:25 AM
I have downsized. Anything I need to do with a 35 caliber handgun can be done with the 38 Special. If I need something more, I go to the 45 ACP/AR or the 45 long Colt. Much simpler than having all those cartridge sets and reloading dies. Naturally, I also have a 22 LR revolver available.

SO, to answer your question, it would be 38 Special and 44 Special, if you keep two. If only one, I would lean to the 44 SPecail, but only by a little.

paul h
08-21-2012, 12:56 PM
If you're going to do a decent amount of shooting to really hone your shooting skills, there is something to be said for rounds that use minimal amounts of lead, powder and generate mild recoil.

While the 44sp is imensley capable, you can only download it so much before you give up accuracy. Therefore I'd say teaming it with an accurate 38sp is worth considering.

Piedmont
08-21-2012, 01:37 PM
The Smith 296 is an L frame. L frame cylinders are relatively huge. That isn't much of a pocket gun unless you mean a coat pocket. Even the Bulldog has a 1.45" cylinder diameter. Compare that to 1.30" of a J frame.

aarolar
08-21-2012, 02:37 PM
Don't do it you'll regret it later

dsbock
08-21-2012, 03:27 PM
Don't do it you'll regret it later

With only one exception, I've regretted every gun I sold.

Give them a good protective coating and tuck them in the back of the safe. Think of them as a savings account. There for when you need them. For the military surplus and older firearms, they're not making any more so they'll only go up in value.

Just my $0.00.

David

375supermag
08-21-2012, 08:25 PM
I have thought about downsizing also. I only reload for .38, .357, 45ACP, 45Colt, .44Spl, .44Mag, .41Mag,.45Ar and.375SuperMag. And I only have about 35 or 40 handguns, so I really can't afford to downsize too much.

I guess I'll just keep buying new guns and adding reloading dies. Seems simpler than deciding what to keep and what to get rid of. Because sure enough, as soon as I sell something off, I'll miss it and go buy another to replace it

Besides that...How would i explain to my son that I sold off some of my guns? He already thinks of them as his anyway!

bobthenailer
08-22-2012, 08:22 AM
I reload & cast bullets for every handgun i own except 22lr . I have more 45 cal handguns than any other caliber , but like every caliber , Heck im looking for reasons to buy more ! not selling at this time but someday as im now 64, my time will come to sell in perhaps 10 to 15 years ?

jh45gun
08-22-2012, 09:29 AM
they are paid for I would keep them I have deeply regretted getting rid of some guns for trades for others.

Ed K
08-22-2012, 10:45 AM
I have done a couple of trades I've regretted - not too many. On the other hand I can understand simplifying. For example I stumbled into Contender/Encore land and as my barrel count grew the prospect of keeping reloading gear stocked became a nightmare. You think: "only $200 and your into a new gun". Well, not so fast... add scopes, scope bases, sights, custom stocks, reloading dies, bullets/boolit molds, brass, primers, appropriate powders - yikes! It was fun for a while but I've easily slashed my barrel count in half over the past couple of years.

I found I also had quite a number of rifles with overlapping function that saw virtually no use. Same with handguns. Why do I need a full-sized 9mm when I have a 13+1 45ACP in the same format? I see the case for small 9s for pocket or IWB carry but that is also J-frame territory.

I don't think anyone posting to this thread is considering getting out of guns in general or even whittling it down to one or two. I guess I've come to the point where I don't need so many as to have it represent a burden to manage or forget the manual of arms when I drag it out.

StrawHat
08-22-2012, 10:49 AM
Not to sidetrack this but since everyone else is saying "keep them", I'll say sell them. Why not, they are merely items that have served their purpose and now it is time to move on to something else. I have bought and sold several collections and managed to hang onto a few that I will have sold after I die. Sell them and use the money to fund another purchase. Evolve yourself, branch out or stay the same, it is your choice.

Silver Jack Hammer
08-23-2012, 12:23 PM
The rule I have is: "Always 'Trade Up." If you are going to off-load something, put effort such has cash with what your are parting with so that you end up in a better position after the deal. Some guns should never be sold, but others can be trading stock to increase your collection. Trading two guns plus cash for one gun can increase the value of your armory and simplify your selection.

TXBRILL
08-23-2012, 02:23 PM
I'll go along with... "everytime I sold one I regretted it later"