PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes I am amazed!

Freightman
08-20-2012, 06:07 PM
at the pure ignorance of people. I was reading on another board "What smokeless should I use in a French BP 11mm pistol made in 1873 that has been bored out to 45 cal"? he was told right "DO NOT USE SMOKELESS " in a BP only pistol of that vintage. His last comment "I think I will start with 3gr Bulls Eye and work up"
Why ask for advise if you are going to do something stupid anyhow? Amazing!

smokeywolf
08-20-2012, 06:19 PM
The first hint to his ignorance should have been his inability to spell the word smokeless.

oldred
08-20-2012, 06:38 PM
"I think I will start with 3gr Bulls Eye and work up"

Work up to what? :?: 1873 metallurgy, modified 1873 design to a more powerful caliber and who knows how much metal fatigue after 139 years so it's likely the first sign he will see is when the stinkin thing blows up in his hand! Really, some people are just plain stupid, I mean what else could you call it?

Jim
08-20-2012, 06:49 PM
Sometimes, I think people post stuff like that to catch fish.

Boz330
08-21-2012, 08:55 AM

I don't know Jim there are some real Rubes out there. Probably want to sue Colt when the thing blows up as well.

Bob

Jim
08-21-2012, 09:05 AM
Oh, no doubt, Boz. How many times have we seen posts where somebody wanted to load a .303 or some such to .300 RUM velocities? I call it the 'NASCAR' mentality; "How fast can I make it go?"

wgr
08-21-2012, 10:35 AM
I wonder how many times we have stood beside someone like that on the range and not know it.

Ola
08-21-2012, 10:40 AM
Well, one sure way to know it is when some one is using a hammer to open the bolt.. I've seen it couple of times.

oldred
08-21-2012, 11:32 AM

Quite a few examples of blown up guns on the net so these guys must be common, what I don't understand is why do they even bother to ask? A guy who would do something as dumb as loading smokeless in that old modified gun and has to ask which smokeless almost certainly hasn't got a clue what "working up" a load even means. Unfortunately for some of these guys "working up" a load simply means increasing the charge until the gun blows up then back off a couple of grains! :roll:

Freightman
08-21-2012, 12:26 PM
Quite a few examples of blown up guns on the net so these guys must be common, what I don't understand is why do they even bother to ask? A guy who would do something as dumb as loading smokeless in that old modified gun and has to ask which smokeless almost certainly hasn't got a clue what "working up" a load even means. Unfortunately for some of these guys "working up" a load simply means increasing the charge until the gun blows up then back off a couple of grains! :roll:
Right! The spelling of Smokeless was my computers fault, the old key board is not putting the E down unless you hit it hard,Sorry!

smokeywolf
08-21-2012, 03:21 PM
Freightman,
Sorry about that, I thought it was a copy and paste from the post you had read it in.

smokeywolf

Freightman
08-22-2012, 02:16 PM
I was a much poorer speller until I started fooling around with posting on the internet, not a lot of writing and spelling delivering freight 12 hours a day. Spell check helps unless you hit the button before you read.

'74 sharps
08-22-2012, 05:10 PM
Sounds like the Wil E Coyote trying to work up a load suggested in the Acme Handloading book..........

WARD O
08-22-2012, 05:16 PM
I think some people are just afraid of black powder as there are so many stories and warnings that go around. First you have to get them past that stage. Then there's the problem of finding black powder, it's usually not for sale in all the gun shops and mail ordering it is expensive unless you buy some quantity.

Too bad cause it's really lots of fun!

But then again, some are just plain stupid and that's hard to fix.

ward

JeffinNZ
08-22-2012, 06:11 PM

That's mighty charitable of you Jim. :lol:

I'll Make Mine
08-25-2012, 09:48 PM
Well, one sure way to know it is when some one is using a hammer to open the bolt.. I've seen it couple of times.

Well, now, before you accuse the guy hitting his bolt with a hammer of putting you in danger, check if it's a Mosin Nagant fresh out of the cosmoline (Mosins are notorious for this, though I'd bet the same would be true of any other milsurp after sixty or seventy years in cosmoline). If he didn't know about spinning a 20 Gauge shotgun bore brush in the chamber to clear out the residue, he might be well below limits and still having to open his bolt with a hammer.

OTOH, if the rifle in question isn't a milsurp or the shooter isn't shooting milsurp ammo, one might want to casually ask where he got the cartridges... :shock:

drcook
08-25-2012, 10:04 PM
It is the same mentality as that which goes along with "Here hold my beer and watch this................".

bob208
08-26-2012, 07:22 AM
they post on this board also. there was one who asked if you could use smokeless powder in a precussion sharps repro. now i know they have right on the barrel use black powder only.

John Boy
08-26-2012, 12:42 PM
Sometimes I am amazed!
at the pure ignorance of people.
Best gross ignorance one I've seen was ... a fella argued on a thread that a 45 Colt should be filled to the lips with Red Dot to take up the air space. A cowboy shooter just starting out in reloading :guntootsmiley:

oldred
08-26-2012, 01:36 PM
I passed on mentioning this one earlier because the fellow passed away a few years ago but I guess it's ok to tell what he did anyway. He was reloading for a 45/70 Trapdoor using a homemade loading rig, to get the powder charge he pulled a factory Winchester 405 grain load and measured the amount of powder that was in it, he then reloaded his rounds with an equal amount of BULLSEYE! He was explaining to me how he did this and it became apparent that he did not have a clue about powder types and thought it was just a matter of charging the cases with whatever amount the factory used, to him powder was just powder! I tried explaining about different powders and the absolutely critical requirement of proper charging using the right powder in the properly measured amounts for the bullet weight and caliber but he got defensive and just brushed it off, at least at the time because I learned later he did get concerned and did not attempt to fire any of these rounds.

Another one was a guy some years back who was at sporting goods store where I was checking out with my purchases, I overheard this genius ask for some 44 magnum cartridges and while paying for them he mentioned they were for a Stevens single shot 410 gauge shotgun! He intended to fire them as slug rounds in this 410 and saw nothing wrong with what he was about to do, the store owner (to his credit) put the 44's back on the shelf and refused to sell them to this guy who attempted to explain how the 410 would be more than strong enough to handle the 44 mags. The owner attempted to explain the many reasons this would not work and that even though the 44 case might fit the chamber the bore would be too small and the receiver was not nearly strong enough anyway, when the guy tried to argue that he knew people who did this the owner told him to leave he did not even want to discuss it!

The OP has it right, some people are nothing short of amazing!

Ola
08-27-2012, 03:51 AM
Well, now, before you accuse the guy hitting his bolt with a hammer of putting you in danger, check if it's a Mosin Nagant fresh out of the cosmoline (Mosins are notorious for this, though I'd bet the same would be true of any other milsurp after sixty or seventy years in cosmoline)...
Oh, I did not mean the cases where there is some other reason in hammering the bolt. I have also done it once with completely safe and tried load in .222 Rem. The cases had been shot in different rifle and when reloading I probably did something that caused the cases (2/20) to stick in the chamber. Maybe I did not push the shoulder of the case back enough or something like that. It's still a mystery, because the dimensions of the cases had been measured and 18 of those cases ejected normally. But there I was, hammering the bolt and collecting unwanted audience..

dgslyr
09-05-2012, 03:56 PM
[QUOTE His last comment "I think I will start with 3gr Bulls Eye and work up.[/QUOTE]

I know one of this guys relations.He's missing a finger that he blew off last year. He told me once that the levers on those old marlins would bend easy.I saw beat one closed once and have seen him have to get a ram rod to beat the bolt open.

PS Paul
09-05-2012, 04:34 PM
Ha, some awesome stuff out there..... In the rod and gun business, I deal with a lot of folks who will "ask a question" then REFUSE to accept your honest answer based on YEARS of experience! Sometimes the folks are just trying to beat you out of a few dollars- like when they insist on you giving them a price on an item before you have had opportunity to research it or look. Othe times they just want someone to affirm their idiotic decision-making process so they can hold it against you when it comes time to contact the manufacturer after they've blown up their gun/destroyed their electronics/lost their crab pot/broken their fishing rod/over-inflated their float tube/smoked the drag on their reel/lost a finger or have killed themselves!!

It is a fine line to dance when you are telling these folks their thinking process is flawed and sometimes, no matter what, you just CANNOT change their minds OR get them to understands they are just plain WRONG. It is at that time I give the caveat, "my final word; if you do it, please don't come back to us and say we told you it was right".

Like I sometimes say, can't change stupid, you know?
PS Paul

oldred
09-05-2012, 05:22 PM
I deal with a lot of folks who will "ask a question" then REFUSE to accept your honest answer based on YEARS of experience! .............., they just want someone to affirm their idiotic decision-making process

Exactly, they are not asking a question at all, just like the idjit the OP mentions at the start of this thread, they actually are wanting someone to tell them what they want to do is going to be ok. I think the height of stupidity has to be a person asking for advice and then arguing with the advice given! [smilie=b:

Texantothecore
09-08-2012, 01:04 PM
I think some people are just afraid of black powder as there are so many stories and warnings that go around. First you have to get them past that stage. Then there's the problem of finding black powder, it's usually not for sale in all the gun shops and mail ordering it is expensive unless you buy some quantity.

Too bad cause it's really lots of fun!

But then again, some are just plain stupid and that's hard to fix.

ward

Boy, isn't that the truth. So many people think that if you look at black powder it will explode.

I get mine at the mall at Bass Pro and when I tell some people that they give me a real funny look. I just tell them that this is Texas and that seems to satisfy them.

I also have had people tell me that they were certain that a .50 caliber black powder rifle was illegal. Weird.