PDA

View Full Version : Primer Pocket swaging while converting to Boxer?

jkpq45
08-20-2012, 12:11 PM
The goal: going from Berdan to Boxer primers.

The question: how do press-mounted primer pocket swagers work? I understand the bottom die (that goes in the "tail-end" of the pocket,) but what does the inner ram look like? Is it just flat? Is there a danger of closing the flash hole during the swaging process?

Looking to try my luck on the lathe turning out a few of these beauties and seeing how they work.

Thanks, all!
jkpq45

Bent Ramrod
08-20-2012, 06:44 PM
It is my understanding that the usual type of primer pocket swagers simply remove the stab or ring crimp that was around the primer in military cases. Removing the dead primer squeezed its metal cup somewhat, but as it was gone anyway it didn't matter, outside of maybe straining or bending the depriming pin. Repriming without removing the crimp would damage the cup on the new primer going in and might break the pellet of priming composition inside. The swaging only served to move the thin metal overhang back, leaving the primer pocket a uniform diameter top to bottom so the new primer could go in easily.

I don't think anything short of a hydraulic press would work for your application. An alternative method would use a mandrel to hold the case primer pocket up and a hammer and punch of the right diameter to flatten the internal anvil and hopefully close the adjacent flash holes without distorting the primer pocket. Then would come the problem of drilling or punching a center hole for the Boxer primer.

Like the man said to the driver asking for directions, "I really don't think you can get there from here.":sad:

jkpq45
08-20-2012, 06:51 PM
I read the sticky on converting Berdan to Boxer primers--seems fairly straightforward. I'm just trying to make my own primer pocket swager to use in the process. Is there an internal mandrel that is inserted into the case, that supports the case when the bit on the ram is raised into the primer pocket?

Thanks for the input!
jkpq45

Brasso
08-20-2012, 07:37 PM
On the RCBS swager the mandril supports the case head from the inside while the swage works the primer pocket.

Sam

scarry scarney
08-20-2012, 07:43 PM
On the RCBS swager the mandril supports the case head from the inside while the swage works the primer pocket.

Sam

Basically the same support system that the Dillon super Swagger uses, but as a stand alone device. http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/9/pid/25263/catid/8/Super_Swage_600

jkpq45
08-20-2012, 07:50 PM
Is it a flat-based mandrel, or is there a pin to support a center-drilled, boxer flash hole? Is there a danger of the flash hole closing upon swaging?

mdi
08-21-2012, 12:43 PM
For my info only; what are you going to do about the anvil in the Berdan case? Aren't Berdan primers a different diameter than Boxers?

jkpq45
08-21-2012, 01:12 PM
Per the thread located in the Stickies forum, I plan to drill a center hole through the berdan anvil to allow use of standard decapping pins (also functions as flash hole for boxer primer).

Yes; berdans are bigger than boxers. I'll drill out the center of the berdan primer then use the primer pocket swager to form what remains of the berdan cap into a boxer-sized pocket.

Dan Cash
08-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Is it a flat-based mandrel, or is there a pin to support a center-drilled, boxer flash hole? Is there a danger of the flash hole closing upon swaging?

The mandrel is flat on the end with a slight bevel to facilitate installing the case. No, you wont close the central flash hole while swaging.

jkpq45
08-21-2012, 02:27 PM
Excellent! Sounds pretty straightforward. I'll see if I can rig something up on the lathe to make this happen.