PDA

View Full Version : Mod 92 Win to take longer rounds?

MtGun44
08-19-2012, 03:39 PM
Does anyone know anything about modifications to the Winchester
1892 to take longer LOA rounds?

I have a Browning '92 in .44 Mag and it is frustrating to not be able
to use my normal ammo (Keith 250s of various brands) as they make
the round too long to function.

Without really looking inside much, my gut feel is that John Browning
made it big enough to take a .44-40 and that's that. Does anyone
know of the gun being modified successfully for longer rounds?

Bill

fecmech
08-19-2012, 08:15 PM
It depends on how much more length you need Bill. I'm sure you can set the shoulder back on the lifter like they do on Marlins to let longer rounds clear the tube, but I have not done it.

Az Rick
08-19-2012, 09:44 PM
Just an idea. I use .44spl. cases to load my longer Keith type bullets for an 1894 Marlin rifle.
They are very close in OAL to a standard .44mag round.
You may not want to mess with different brass though. I happen to have both calibers.
The Keiths' are just plinkers, at least for now. I haven't taken the time to get a good load developed yet. You might also try trimming your Mag. brass but would have to be careful they wouldn't fit in a Special, if you know what I mean.

Adding on edit, I would only load to .44spl. pressures.

MtGun44
08-20-2012, 12:17 AM
Yes, I thought of the .44 Spl thing, but then I'd be limited to Spl pressures, and I really
don't want that. At this point, I haven't even figured out exactly how much more I need.

Bill

pmer
08-20-2012, 08:31 AM
My Rossi 92 has the same issue in 45 Colt. It shoots okay but only in single shot mode. This is how the 45-300G came about, with its shorter nose to crimp length. (Accurate Molds)

Ranch Dog's round flats should work too.

HDS
08-20-2012, 08:44 AM
Does anyone know anything about modifications to the Winchester
1892 to take longer LOA rounds?

I have a Browning '92 in .44 Mag and it is frustrating to not be able
to use my normal ammo (Keith 250s of various brands) as they make
the round too long to function.

Without really looking inside much, my gut feel is that John Browning
made it big enough to take a .44-40 and that's that. Does anyone
know of the gun being modified successfully for longer rounds?

Bill

I got mine to feed 1.70" long SWC's, it wasn't as I thought neccessary to remove any metal from the lifter that the round stops against, I noticed that when I worked the lever back it would stop against the underside of the bolt before it reaches the lifters shoulder. So it sorta seems like the shoulder didn't have a function to me on the .44s... I have to double check it when I get home...

What got it working was filing on the inside of the "hook" that stops off ammo from the magazine tube.. the cartidge stop. Thats where my bullets where hanging up for me. When I worked the lever the bullets nose would get stuck on it and the lifter could not angle the bullets upward for feeding. By removing material on the inside of this hook I got enough clearance for reliable feeding with a stiff working of the lever.

HDS
08-20-2012, 03:14 PM
I got mine to feed 1.70" long SWC's, it wasn't as I thought neccessary to remove any metal from the lifter that the round stops against, I noticed that when I worked the lever back it would stop against the underside of the bolt before it reaches the lifters shoulder. So it sorta seems like the shoulder didn't have a function to me on the .44s... I have to double check it when I get home..

No I was wrong on this about the lifter. I dunno how I got that impression the first time...

I did file on the lifters shoulder only the first time and that modification alone made no difference in feeding reliability, I guess the change from modifying both the lifter and cartridge stop was what did it.

runfiverun
08-20-2012, 05:13 PM
i did the stop on my rossi 44 mag to feed the longer oal.

i haven't touched my browning 44 mag yet it hangs up the noses on the underside of the feed ramp.
and looks just like is suggested above, where it just pops the round onto the lifter but not far enough back to feed a longer oal.

i just swage 250gr rnfp's for it and my model 94 put the canellure at 1.610 and leave things as they are.
if it were my only levergun i'd be looking at it too.

MtGun44
08-21-2012, 07:39 PM
I have a 94 Win that will feed any length, of course is was designed for .30-30 and .38-55,
so a .44 Mag is no problem. I'd just like to get the 92 to work with my normal Keith loads,
if it is reasonably possible.

Bill

GOPHER SLAYER
08-21-2012, 11:55 PM
At one time I had six model '92s. I realized early on that Browing designed that rifle to use 44-40 ammo with 200 grain round nosed bullets. I just lived with it.

MtGun44
08-23-2012, 11:30 PM
Yes, this is clear, and I wondered if that was the end of it or whether there was some
well known or relatively easy way to change it. Doesn't seem like it.

Bill

Reg
08-23-2012, 11:39 PM
You can gain a very small amount by filing back the stop on the lifter but after that geometry takes over and it becomes too long to go through the feeding process-- going from lifter to chamber. It will bind. I think someone said it already, John M designed it for the 44-40 and nothing else, at least length wise.

frank505
08-25-2012, 11:47 AM
My 45 Colt japchester will run the RCBS 300 grain SWC gas check very well. It is a bullet designed for the 454 and about identicle to the Saeco 454 bullet.
At 1550 fps it will shoot through a lot, at 1800 it will shoot through more........................does everything an 1886 original loading did and maybe a little more in a gun that weighs half what an 86 weighs.
Handy to pack around and holds thirteen shots.

HDS
08-27-2012, 02:12 AM
You can gain a very small amount by filing back the stop on the lifter but after that geometry takes over and it becomes too long to go through the feeding process-- going from lifter to chamber. It will bind. I think someone said it already, John M designed it for the 44-40 and nothing else, at least length wise.

You can get it to feed slightly more than 1.70" long rounds though, and that's all it needs to for most peoples purposes. After that one might want to consider .45-70 instead.

9.3X62AL
08-27-2012, 02:52 AM
Rather than go through a lot of gymnastics with over-length rounds, I opted for the Accurate 43-250C (gas-checked round flatnose) for use with the RiceChester 92 I got last November. These shoot quite well from both the rifle and the Ruger Redhawk, crimped into the groove designed for the purpose. I'm getting 2.5"-2.75" 5-shotters at 100 yards with the OEM open irons running at 1800 FPS, and that's just fine with me. The same load (21.0 x WC-820) yields 1350 FPS from the Redhawk's 5.5" barrel.

rbuck351
08-27-2012, 08:13 AM
My Rossi 454 feeds the 300gr Lee boolit nicely but I don't know if it has the same internal dimensions as the Winchester 92 or not.