PDA

View Full Version : Stupid dogs.

NSP64
08-19-2012, 01:33 PM
Hi, I have some stupid dogs. They are Dachshunds. Anyway, does anyone have a good home remedy (that works) for getting skunk spraynoff of stupid dogs. LOL [smilie=b:

Rabbits used to get under the shed. Looked like they dug under it again. Dogs get to digging. no rabbit , smells like skunk. Maybe baby skunks under shed. Tried Dawn dishwashing soap x4 still stink.

Trey45
08-19-2012, 01:34 PM
A long bath in tomato juice. Try to keep the dogs from drinking their bath.

flounderman
08-19-2012, 01:53 PM
you might try hair shampoo.

kopperl
08-19-2012, 01:58 PM
Pour it on a spounge and rub it in let it dry then give the dog a regular bath.

Mooseman
08-19-2012, 01:59 PM
The other thing that works is Womens Douche powder. Mix with warm water and bathe them in it....

Rich

Firebricker
08-19-2012, 02:04 PM
Dogs sniffing skunk is like me sniffing a women wearing Vanilla Fields perfume irresistible ! LOL FB

Freightman
08-19-2012, 02:14 PM
Dachshunds have a very acute since of smell, mine loves to hunt, good luck in getting the stink off.

gon2shoot
08-19-2012, 02:29 PM
Mix tomato juice with hydrogen peroxide and baby shampoo, normally works the first time. (I have a weeny dog too)

Alvarez Kelly
08-19-2012, 02:29 PM
Not mine, but advice I got a while back:

If you ever do happen to get sprayed, or your dog, or whatever.... use this

1 quart Hydrogen Peroxide
2 cups baking soda
2 tablespoons of dish soap

The baking soda and HP combine and release oxygen and the dish soap cuts the oil from the skunk. Also works for cleaning up dead body smell. Not that that is particularly useful information (the body part).

Hamish
08-19-2012, 02:38 PM
For the life of me, why can't they get the hint the first time? (Or the second. Or the third,,,,,)

GabbyM
08-19-2012, 02:51 PM
hydrogen peroxide

tryNto
08-19-2012, 02:59 PM
Our Animal Control Officer recommended Vinegar, Worked great.

jmsj
08-19-2012, 04:18 PM
Not mine, but advice I got a while back:
2 cups baking soda

The baking soda and HP combine and release oxygen and the dish soap cuts the oil from the skunk. Also works for cleaning up dead body smell. Not that that is particularly useful information (the body part).
+1
We used to have a female Blue Heeler who thought it was her mission to rid the country of skunks and this worked better than anything we had found. This was also a lot cheaper and worked better than anything we could find pre made in the store.
Good luck, jmsj

crabo
08-19-2012, 04:19 PM
A friend of mine who would rather let her dogs run, and get sprayed, uses

2 Tablespoons of Dawn
1 cup hydrogen peroxide
1 cup baking soda in
2 cups of water.

Lather it on and let it soak for 5-10 min Pretty close to x101Airborne's formula.

Roosters
08-19-2012, 04:39 PM
Homemade Skunk Odor Removal Solution
¼ cup baking soda
1 teaspoon dish soap
1 quart 3% hydrogen peroxide
Double the recipe for a large dog.

Applying the Skunk Odor Removal Solution
Put the skunk odor removal solution directly on your pet. Do not add water or get your pet wet before applying the solution. Work this solution into the coat and over the skin. Carefully avoid the eyes. Apply to the head with a cloth. Leave the solution on for 5-20 minutes.
Rinse thoroughly with water.
Wash with a pet shampoo of your choice, working the shampoo well into the skin and hair to lift any oils.
Rinse thoroughly.

Alvarez Kelly is right on it. The tomato juice just hides it soon as they get wet again you can smell it . The peroxide, baking soda and dish soap neutralize it. Yea my dog to.

9.3X62AL
08-19-2012, 04:55 PM
Dogs are lovable idiots in a few respects. Emphasis on lovable.

WILCO
08-19-2012, 06:01 PM
Ever since my last dog died off, there has been less stress in my life..........

WILCO
08-19-2012, 06:04 PM
Anyway, does anyone have a good home remedy (that works) for getting skunk spraynoff of stupid dogs.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/skunk.htm

shotman
08-19-2012, 06:16 PM
A friend of mine who would rather let her dogs run, and get sprayed, uses

2 Tablespoons of Dawn
1 cup hydrogen peroxide
1 cup baking soda in
2 cups of water.

Lather it on and let it soak for 5-10 min Pretty close to x101Airborne's formula.

this one works
make sure its DAWN

runfiverun
08-19-2012, 06:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mvj8TxfmCA&feature=related
thought you might mean these two.
one of my favorite shows...

Alvarez Kelly
08-19-2012, 06:51 PM
Ever since my last dog died off, there has been less stress in my life..........

I guess dogs have always had the opposite effect on me. When I come home stressed, my dogs are a very calming influence.

But then... my dogs have never, actually been sprayed by a skunk... I got the "skunk stink removal recipe" 'cause I caught some skunks in a live trap and wanted to be ready to use it on ME if I had to. :-)

WILCO
08-19-2012, 08:29 PM
I guess dogs have always had the opposite effect on me.

Dogs are a lot of work. They caused me too many problems, too much drama and too much money. I've learned to pick my battles. Just like crazy women, I'm not dealing with it anymore. [smilie=l:

10-x
08-19-2012, 09:16 PM
Thank God there are no skunks in SE Georgia.(water table is to high for dens) Our Greyhound has killed a possum and a tree rat since we got him. He wants nothing else in his back yard. Most tree rats manage an escape in one of the many trees......

BD
08-19-2012, 09:44 PM
Crabo has it right. This is a bi-yearly occurrence around our place and I gave up on the tomato juice ten years ago. I shoot every skunk I see anywhere near here, yet they still manage to show up.
BD

Moonie
08-20-2012, 10:28 AM
Mythbusters did a show on skunks, the thing they found did the best?

dawn, hydrogen peroxide and baking soda. Beat the commercial skunk remedy they had.

MikeS
08-21-2012, 02:08 PM
Dogs are a lot of work. They caused me too many problems, too much drama and too much money. I've learned to pick my battles. Just like crazy women, I'm not dealing with it anymore. [smilie=l:

I'm curious, what breed dogs have you had?

GREENCOUNTYPETE
08-23-2012, 04:40 PM
de-skunk it was a product sold at our farm store , my dog got sprayed 2 weeks ago i had 3 regular baths in and a baking soda hydrogen peroxide and dish soap bath , this stuff made a bigger difference in 1 bath

than the rest together had made

there are several products for this i figure most of them sold by the vet or trusted local retailer work better than the alternative

Alan in Vermont
08-23-2012, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by x101airborne
If you ever do happen to get sprayed, or your dog, or whatever.... use this

2 cups baking soda

The baking soda and HP combine and release oxygen and the dish soap cuts the oil from the skunk. Also works for cleaning up dead body smell.

+ about 25 on the above.

Our Labs have waterproof coats so just pouring it on didn't work real well. Most of it would run off before we could get it worked into the hair. Our solution was to apply it with a spray bottle so we had plenty of time to work it right down to the skin. The only odor that remained was from around their faces where had tried to keep it away from their eyes.

41mag
08-23-2012, 05:54 PM
My sister and BIL adopted a stray when they lived in Florida. It was a nice big Chocolate lab who could not stay away from anything that ran. It was fine if it simply stood still he would sniff it and walk off, but if it ran it got torn to shreds.

Countless skunks, rabbits, armadillos, and one porcupine while on a camping trip in CO. Not only did he kill the porcupine he brought it out of the little cave it had run into and dropped it at my BIL's feet. It took many a trip to get what the vet could get removed, out. Then several years for most of the rest to work themselves out. Eventually it was one of them that finally did him in.

Can't really say the ol dog was stupid though, he was about as smart or more so than some grown folks I know, just quite a bit more hard headed and stubborn.